Apple unveils Final Cut Studio 2

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murk View Post

Could Apple ProRes 422 be the key to something even bigger? HD quality at SD file sizes. Hmmm... Could this be used to deliver HD iTunes content?

OMG you could be right!!!
  • Reply 62 of 81
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) Any info on the "cross platform" client for Final Cut Server?

2) Any sites hosting the video Sunday's NAB keynote?
  • Reply 63 of 81
    i really wish apple would open this product line to offering standalone products. i know it's all designed to integrate flawlessly with the rest of the products in the suite but i honestly don't need final cut, dvd studio pro or soundtrack pro, but i could make some good use out of motion. it looks great but i can't justify to my boss spending $1200 on a suite when we are really only going to use one of the apps, which originally sold as a standalone app for $300. if they were to bring that back...i would be very interested
  • Reply 64 of 81
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    From the NAB report on hdforindies.com

Quote:

Other gossipy bit - Red is developing new product lines - 4K projectors (yes plural), 4K displays, and a mini, handheld professional camera. No timetable, no prices, just know they are coming. Perhaps what they are showing at the booth will be convincing enough for folks to take them seriously when they say they are going to do something.

This is VERY encouraging

http://www.studiodaily.com/main/news...ines/7981.html

Quote:

The RED Digital Cinema tent is much bigger this year and the crowds are enormous! In the midst of the stampede to get to the RED booth at 9:am, I had the chance to sit down with Ted Schilowitz of RED and get the lowdown on the other RED “scoops” not covered in my RED @ NAB, Part 1 article…and they are eye-openers indeed:

1. RED is developing a Professional Pocket Camera – a miniature camera. Ted couldn’t give me any further details on it, but said there would be more info released in the coming weeks.

2. RED is also developing a new line of 4k displays

3. RED is also developing a new 4k projector

With RED’s completion of development of the RED One camera system, announcement of a new line of S35mm cine prime lenses, a new close focus 18-50mm cine zoom lens, Apple support for REDCODE, 4k display of the 4k REDCODE RAW footage shot by Peter Jackson, and now these new announcements above, RED seems to have placed all the pieces of a beginning-to-end workflow on the table.

The Peter Jackson footage is stunning: plane-to-plane footage with WW1-era biplanes, period war scenes, etc. Projected in 4k, it is really breathtaking stuff – lots of gasps and sighs in the crowd!

With shipping of the completed RED cameras just around the corner, RED Digital Cinema has now moved from being a “we’re going to build this” company into a new status of a “we have built this, and we’re also going to build this” company. What remains now is for the new RED camera, lenses, and accessories to be tested in the field by independent producers, directors, and cinematographers. That will happen immediately! (see below)

I like the idea of a smaller affordable Red camera. It'll be a long time before I'm looking at 4k for projection although a 4k projector with enough light output would make for an awesome screening room.
  • Reply 65 of 81
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

But they don't explicitly say if and how FCP supports 4K.

I think this is explictly stated in:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/action/?movie=red
  • Reply 66 of 81
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Yes I've seen that video. He must mean that you can shoot 4K and import the footage with compression from REDCODE or ProRes422. The obvious sign of this is the MacBook Pro. There is absolutely no way a MBP can deal with 4K files. There is no interface connection that has enough bandwidth to send a 4K file. There is no way to store 4K files and there is no way to monitor 4K files. MacBookPro cannot reliably or accurately work with 1080HD.

That is the reason why AJA created this device so that the MacBook Pro can work with 1080HD.

Here are the type of ports needed to deal with high resolution images.

• Reply 67 of 81
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    The Apple booth is pretty nice. I didn't bring my card reader or camera cable, so I can't upload any pics. Also, I didn't ask, but nothing there gave me any indication that AVCHD was going to be supported in any manner. I tried to ask Brad Wright of HDVxDV if he was planning to make a conversion program (IMO, he's the obvious third party that would do it), but he left the booth that I saw him at and I didn't see him again.

The RED booth is a bit insane. It's an enclosure that looks like a red canvas "barn". The times I walked by the booth, the line to get in wrapped half way around the barn. I do agree with the sentiment that it's not all things to all people, but it looks like it's extremely adaptable too. As far as I can tell, the 4k res is not 4:4:4 so that might cause some problems for those wanting to composite at 4k. Not that it matters for FCS, I didn't see a clear indication in any of the specs that it supports 4k in any form.
  • Reply 68 of 81
    Quote:

I didn't ask, but nothing there gave me any indication that AVCHD was going to be supported in any manner.

i was wondering about that, but I doubt it means anything. Apple seems to support codec's when it arbitrarily feels like it. With out a doubt eventually apple will support AVCHD and AVC-i.

Were you able find out why DVDSP does not support blu-ray?
  • Reply 69 of 81
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Its a film camera replacement. Many, many DP's own their own cameras and many have placed (multiple) orders for RED. Who is forcing you to buy one? Do what you like.

Buddy I'm not talking about broadcast, I'm talking about FILM DPs, they don't own their own cameras, because those cameras are not for sale. And even if they were why would anyone buy what a studio would pay for?

I'm talking about RED in the realm of movie making which believe it or not is RED's primary purpose.

Why would Peter Jackson's DP spend his own money to buy a RED if studio would pay for the rental for every picture they worked on?
  • Reply 70 of 81
    Am I the only one amazed that the FCP 6 interface is still not updated to the Pro look seen in DVD SP, Compressor and Motion? Pretty soon it will be the only Apple product still sporting ye olde brushed metal! WTF!?
  • Reply 71 of 81
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

i was wondering about that, but I doubt it means anything. Apple seems to support codec's when it arbitrarily feels like it. With out a doubt eventually apple will support AVCHD and AVC-i.

Were you able find out why DVDSP does not support blu-ray?

I think they did add some stuff like XDCAM HD support, IIRC, announced at IBC last year. BTW, there is a new Sony on display that uses ExpressCard/34 memory cards in a format called XDCAM EX. I think they showed cards up to 32GB. You can pop the card into a MBP and just import the video from the memory card like you would a hard drive. Panasonic did similar with P2 being PC Card, but P2 doesn't work on newer machines without an adapter, it's like they jumped the gun by a year.

I asked about your questions and a few other things. AVC-Intra is supported, they even had one station showing that, it was converted into ProRes 422. AVCHD is "not right now", no time frame given, but then, even S
  • Reply 72 of 81
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nickmini View Post

Am I the only one amazed that the FCP 6 interface is still not updated to the Pro look seen in DVD SP, Compressor and Motion? Pretty soon it will be the only Apple product still sporting ye olde brushed metal! WTF!?

What the hell are you talking about? Final Cut Pro does not have bushed metal by ANY means whatsoever. Not even Final Cut Pro 5 did.
  • Reply 73 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

What the hell are you talking about? Final Cut Pro does not have bushed metal by ANY means whatsoever. Not even Final Cut Pro 5 did.

Well, friend, if you take a look at the transport control sections (you know, the bits where the play button is located) of the Viewer and the Canvas windows you'll see what I'm talking about - sure looks brushed to me! (You know it's nice to check these things before posting!)

And my point was also about the lack of consistency between FCP and the other members of the Final Cut Studio suite. So there.
  • Reply 74 of 81
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Well, friend, if you take a look at the transport control sections (you know, the bits where the play button is located) of the Viewer and the Canvas windows you'll see what I'm talking about - sure looks brushed to me! (You know it's nice to check these things before posting!)

And my point was also about the lack of consistency between FCP and the other members of the Final Cut Studio suite. So there.

I know what you mean Nick. Final Cut Pro is looking kind of old and stodgy when compared to the new hottness of Motion, STP and Compressor. I wonder why they made no attempts to align the UI elements.

Perhaps there's a planned update that is coming in the fall which will upgrade DVD SP to version 5 and refreshen FCP's UI a bit along with Leopard support.
  • Reply 75 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I know what you mean Nick. Final Cut Pro is looking kind of old and stodgy when compared to the new hottness of Motion, STP and Compressor. I wonder why they made no attempts to align the UI elements.

Perhaps there's a planned update that is coming in the fall which will upgrade DVD SP to version 5 and refreshen FCP's UI a bit along with Leopard support.

We can dream - in any case, I still love FCP, and brushed is just an annoyance to my OCD I guess! And the overall suite looks very cool, esp. the increased integration/round tripping between apps etc. Must - justify - expense?
  • Reply 76 of 81
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Yeah, I just checked it out. Sure is strange that Apple can't seem to get something this siomple together. How much time would it take?
  • Reply 77 of 81
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

We can dream - in any case, I still love FCP, and brushed is just an annoyance to my OCD I guess! And the overall suite looks very cool, esp. the increased integration/round tripping between apps etc. Must - justify - expense?

It's strange. I think that I'm the only one around here that actually LIKES brushed metal. Well, maybe that's because I have had a machine shop downstairs for many years, and like metal.
  • Reply 78 of 81
    paprochypaprochy Posts: 129member
    I feel your pain guys. I am aslo quite obsessive when it comes to UIs and the fact that FCP6 STILL has the old interface drives me nuts. It would just make perfect sense to update it to match the rest of the suite, and it wouldn't exactly take much time either. WHY WHY WHY!?

Well anyway, like someone posted above we can only hope that apple has an update up its sleeve. But I seriously doubt it. \
  • Reply 79 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paprochy View Post

I feel your pain guys. I am aslo quite obsessive when it comes to UIs and the fact that FCP6 STILL has the old interface drives me nuts. It would just make perfect sense to update it to match the rest of the suite, and it wouldn't exactly take much time either. WHY WHY WHY!?

Well anyway, like someone posted above we can only hope that apple has an update up its sleeve. But I seriously doubt it. \

The worst part is - IT'S JUST THE BLOODY TRANSPORT CONTROLS!!

Hey, has no enterprising GUI hacker out there found a way to replace those few resource files with something more appealing? Of course Shapeshifter does nothing to FCP.

Anyone? Beuller?
  • Reply 80 of 81
    Quote:

I asked about your questions and a few other things. AVC-Intra is supported, they even had one station showing that, it was converted into ProRes 422. AVCHD is "not right now", no time frame given,

OK it does support AVC-I now. I imagine more will come with Leopard.