Organization Software

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've been getting a lot better at Photoshop and I'm going to start doing video with Final Cut and a lot of people are having me do side projects for them (Logos for bands, flyers, and soon music videos).

I've been falling more and more behind and the projects keep on piling on top of me. Is there some sort of way (or some sort of program) that I can help set priorities to certain files, or should I just manually keep track of that? Any tips?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    tiptontipton Posts: 54member
    Take a look at Aperture and Lightroom. Google Aperture vs Lightroom to find comparisons to find which would be better for you.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    daibachdaibach Posts: 18member
    Maybe sonmething like this for organizing all your jobs:

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnioutliner/
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Atlas View Post

Is there some sort of way (or some sort of program) that I can help set priorities to certain files, or should I just manually keep track of that? Any tips?

My vote is for the manual system. I find that jobs vary priorities too much when late changes need to be made and you get deadline extensions that having a dedicated system does more harm than good because you not only have to learn how to work within the constraints of whatever management software you use but you waste time updating it.

As long as you keep your projects together, you can monitor them fairly easily.

I use a folder called projects and all projects go in there no matter what type they are - each one gets its own folder. This way one glance inside 'projects', I can see all the jobs that are on. You can use folder colors to prioritize stuff and change them as you need - if you do use colors, use a consistent color scheme.

This system also makes backups pretty easy because I don't have to hunt everywhere for files, I just make sure projects is backed up. When it exceeds one DVD, just backup by splitting the project folders alphabetically.