Apple carves out 3-hour notch for WWDC keynote

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple has made several additions to its Worldwide Developers Conference website, most notably a time schedule showing that the opening Keynote address will run a considerable three hours.

The inaugural presentation by Apple chief executive Steve Jobs is slated to run 9 AM to 12 PM on Monday, June 11th. In the past, Jobs has used the keynote to introduce developers to the next chapter in Apple computing, unveiling new hardware architectures and software strategies.

During this year's presentation, however, Jobs is widely expected to fill in the missing pieces -- or "Top Secret Features" -- of its latest operating system overhaul, Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard." These may include a Google-styled geographical mapping application with GPS support, VoIP iChat telephony, and a version of Boot Camp featuring embedded virtualization support.

Early rumors surrounding Leopard had suggested that Apple was grooming its Boot Camp solution into a rival of Microsoft's own Virtual PC virtualization software, which would essentially allow Mac users to run Windows and Mac OS X applications simultaneously.

For its part, Apple has continually denied such claims through comments to members of the analyst community. "Absolutely not," was the response from Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller, when asked last July by a Needham & Co. analyst if the company planned to include a virtualization solution with Leopard. Apple's leadership expressed a similar view during a meeting with Bear Stearns in December. There, the company indicated that it is very pleased with Parallels' third party solution and didn't feel the need to compete with its own solution.

At the same time, there has been a steady stream of evidence to suggest that Apple may not be telling the whole truth when it comes to its plans for Boot Camp -- and it wouldn't be the first time the company's leadership intentionally mislead the analyst community. Of the claims published in a recent DigiTimes piece, one suggested that Mac maker would delay Leopard's release till October in order to fine tune an "integrated" version of Boot Camp that would allow Mac users to more easily run Microsoft's Vista operating system. Apple initially denied the report, but pulled an about-face just weeks later, conceding that it would need until October to finishing the Leopard release.

There's also no concrete explanation as to why Apple's enterprise division, which has seemingly obtained Parallels' customer list, has been routinely phoning those customers to find out how they're using the Parallels Desktop software for Mac in the enterprise.

In delaying Leopard last week, Apple did make one thing certain: developers and industry watchers should have the full skinny on its plans for Leopard by the close of Jobs' keynote presentation on June 11th at the WWDC '07.

"We now plan to show our developers a near final version of Leopard at the conference, give them a beta copy to take home so they can do their final testing, and ship Leopard in October," the Cupertino-based company wrote in an official statement. "We think it will be well worth the wait."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    50% longer presentation. Nice!

Let the speculation begin....
  • Reply 2 of 43
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    is it just me or is AppleInsider giving DigiTimes a little more respect recently. There was no disclaimer about how DigiTimes is usually full of it at the end of the article.

I will be flabbergasted if they include Windows virtualization in Leopard. Although, since mac users will still have to BUY windows in order to run anything, there won't be a big shift towards people downloading windows programs simply because they can. And developers shouldn't get lazy since it won't be actively used except by those who really need it and are willing to fork over the money to buy Windows.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    Two hours of the presentation will be Steve demoing a full restore using Time Machine.

The capacity crowd will be on the edge of its seat as the progress bar march towards completion.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    This article did focus a lot on virtualization, but I doubt Jobs is going to talk for 3 hours *just* on virtualization and hidden leopard features. What else could be taking up that time? iLife, iWork? or are those hanging on Leopard's release?
  • Reply 5 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

I will be flabbergasted if they include Windows virtualization in Leopard

Me too. Apple is doing great without having to support a less than stellar OS setup inside of OS X. I can't imagine Apple going to all that trouble.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    Quote:

is it just me or is AppleInsider giving DigiTimes a little more respect recently. There was no disclaimer about how DigiTimes is usually full of it at the end of the article.

I will be flabbergasted if they include Windows virtualization in Leopard. Although, since mac users will still have to BUY windows in order to run anything, there won't be a big shift towards people downloading windows programs simply because they can. And developers shouldn't get lazy since it won't be actively used except by those who really need it and are willing to fork over the money to buy Windows.

The $299 version of windows if you are doing it legit.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

The $299 version of windows if you are doing it legit.

yah, good point. But I only need to test stuff to make sure it works in Internet Explorer. I won't be buying Vista anytime this century.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    Quote:

yah, good point. But I only need to test stuff to make sure it works in Internet Explorer. I won't be buying Vista anytime this century.

Same here. XP is the last version of Windows I hope to own.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    1) Please oh please, change the filesystem format over to zfs

2) Address the annoyance - Fix the damn window resizing capability to work from all sides and corners NOT JUST THE LOWER RIGHT corner.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    "For its part, Apple has continually denied such claims through subtle but official comments to members of the analyst"

So I guess Phil Schiller saying "Absolutely not" is considered subtle. Guess he should have went for "no way in hell."
  • Reply 11 of 43
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

This article did focus a lot on virtualization, but I doubt Jobs is going to talk for 3 hours *just* on virtualization and hidden leopard features. What else could be taking up that time? iLife, iWork? or are those hanging on Leopard's release?

I think that Leopard and iPhone programming could easily eat up all this time.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    I too am skeptical about a virtualization solution coming from Apple, for Windows anyway. I wouldn't count out some kind of Mac OS virtualization, with limited Boot Camp features possibly, though I suspect it's unlikely. I'd be much less surprised if Apple released some kind of WINE product, though.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    'spose I should copy to this thread the post from the thread I started in General Discussion:

Quote:

According to Macworld UK, Apple have announced that the WWDC keynote is going to be 3(!) hours long. This page appears to confirm it, but have Apple always simply allocated the whole morning for the keynote, but then not used all of the allotted time?

What are they going to talk about? Surely not just 10.5? Will we also have the official iPhone launch? (doesn't seem like the right place for that, though). Details of how to develop for the iPhone? Lots of new hardware?

• Reply 14 of 43
    iq78iq78 Posts: 256member
    Quote:

... I will be flabbergasted if they include Windows virtualization in Leopard. ...

What if Apple is doing a "cross-over" type solution which does not require an install of the WindowsOS? If Code-Weavers can do it, why couldn't Apple?" It would work with bootcamp in that you could run the applications from the bootcamp partition while in MacOSX (so 2 installs are required, much like parallels does now.) Apple would only promise a handful of Windows applications to work in this mode (suggesting you use bootcamp or Parallels if your desired program isn't supported.)

Apple doesn't become a Windows OEM, as stated. They don't compete directly with Parallels (the more complete virtualization solution) nor to they suplant bootcamp. They just offer a way to run a list of heavily used Windows applications (hence the survey to Parallel customers, to find out what Windows programs are mostly run in the parallel's environment.)

Then again, it could be as simple as packaging Parallels with every Mac with a deal with Parallels (like Inuit had for a long time.)

Anyway, the craziest thing would be that Apple offers window application capability without having to buy or install Windows. That would make Microsoft happy.

IQ78
  • Reply 15 of 43
    In that 3 hour time period - I hope they spend 15 minutes addressing the fix /refresh to the following problems:

1) no hardware RAID card for Intel XServe

2) no gigabit on AEBS

3) no gigabit on Apple TV and iTMS starts selling HD content with discrete surround sound format (not prologic)

and of course the regular updates

4) Santa Rosa for mobile platform

new products

5) intermediate desktop computer

6) ultra portable / palmtop Mac

7) Video / touchscreen iPod

and finally...

8) iPhone: more information - especially as it pertains to developers and how Apple is not going to lock out its developers by discussing product strategies for 3rd party applications.

...then sort of a unifying presentation at the end where the iPhone / iPod can act as remote controls for the Apple TV and entertainment center - including ordering HD content off the iTMS w/o needing to crack open ITunes on a "real" Mac.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQ78 View Post

What if Apple is doing a "cross-over" type solution which does not require an install of the WindowsOS? If Code-Weavers can do it, why couldn't Apple?" It would work with bootcamp in that you could run the applications from the bootcamp partition while in MacOSX (so 2 installs are required, much like parallels does now.) Apple would only promise a handful of Windows applications to work in this mode (suggesting you use bootcamp or Parallels if your desired program isn't supported.)

Apple doesn't become a Windows OEM, as stated. They don't compete directly with Parallels (the more complete virtualization solution) nor to they suplant bootcamp. They just offer a way to run a list of heavily used Windows applications (hence the survey to Parallel customers, to find out what Windows programs are mostly run in the parallel's environment.)

Then again, it could be as simple as packaging Parallels with every Mac with a deal with Parallels (like Inuit had for a long time.)

Anyway, the craziest thing would be that Apple offers window application capability without having to buy or install Windows. That would make Microsoft happy.

IQ78

Its a nice thought. It would easily knock away Windows marketshare, increase Apple's OS and HW marketshare faster than anything else Apple is doing.

However, it's just not feasible.

Have you tried CrossOver? There are very few apps that work, and none that work exceptionally well. Apple does not want the responsibility of supporting other people's poorly coded apps. If your Photoshop for Windows isn't working right under Apple's RedBox but was working just fine on your WinXP PC whoare you going to blame? Who are you going to call for support? You guys can read all the Cringley articles you want but this 7 year old rumour is no where close to coming to fruition anytime soon.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    jaddiejaddie Posts: 110member
    Dear Friends

Is there a snowball's chance in hell that the keynote will be Webcast live?

Will keynote attendees be bound by NDA for the information presented at the keynote?

Sincerely,

Jaddie
  • Reply 18 of 43
    iMac replacement plz
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jaddie View Post

Dear Friends

Will keynote attendees be bound by NDA for the information presented at the keynote?

Sincerely,

Jaddie

I don't think so. There will be plenty of sites that will do live text updating of the keynote. Complete with pics. I tend to us Engadget.

Per history, the keynote will be posted on Apple's site and mirrored for streaming a few hours later. Despite that, I always have a tough time streaming the keynote the first 10 hours or so.

A couple days later Apple will probably send an email to ADC members that the keynote is on iTunes for free download.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jaddie View Post

Dear Friends

They haven't been in the past.

Quote:

They haven't been in the past.