Can I create chapters in iDVD

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I just got my new LCD-iMac and have just tried out iDvd for the first time and I can't seem to create chapters. Consequently an hours video seems to be just one long track. Am I missing something, or is there a plug-in available?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    neomacneomac Posts: 145member
    Unfortunately, 'chapters' are not a feature of iDVD (yet). Make sure you send Apple an email about this. They listen.

For now, you will have to segment the movie and create seperate buttons for it. It's not perfect, but hey.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    The other problem I have is that I live in Europe and 16*9 TV's are just about the only ones that sell here now so we use anamorphic DV videos. I iDvd I don't seem to be able to tell it that the source is 16:9 so when I play the finished DVD it is all squashed up! This is a terrible ommision as DVD was designed for 16:9 and it is only a switch that needs to be encoded. I am worrid that my film is encoded 4:3 if that is the case my TV will auto switch back to 4:3 even if I manually set 16:9.

I have just read that DVD Studio Pro allows for widescreen, but as a consumer I don't want to spend $1000.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    for the chapters, maybe you can make markers using QT player or Final Cut Pro
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Do you do this for a living? Sounds like you may not be the average consumer that iDVD is aimed at.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    No I have just edited and burnt a family holiday Video made in St Lucia and it is edited down to about an hour. However when you play it, if you want to get to a particular part you have to fast forward because there are no chapters. Try it with the Apple DVD player, it only allows you to fast forward at 4X, so it could take nearlt 15mins to get to the bit you want to watch if it is towards the end of the movie!
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Can you make chapters in DVD Studio Pro? Just wondering?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    yes
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Then get that or wait til iDVD has that feature.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>Then get that or wait til iDVD has that feature.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Get real have you seen the price!.

I haven't used iMovie since moving to OSX full time as I was waiting for a SuperDrive. Now I have this LCD iMac I am dissapointed to see that the iMovie plugin pack only works in the OS9 version so I have lost a lot of transitions.

The other problem is that inspite of having a 60GB hard drive I need to defrag becuase I am getting the slow HD message. I find this a little dissapointing in a new machine. It's about time Apple bundled a defragger with it's OS. MS has supplied one since early dos days.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    If I break up a long movie into segments is there a way that iDVD will let me link the segments together so it will play is continuiously with out going back to the menu?

Other than that -- could they make this any easier?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    neomacneomac Posts: 145member
    Without a doubt, Apple really screwed up by ommitting the 'chapter' feature in iDVD. Major FUBAR!
  • Reply 12 of 14
    I think the worse ommision is the fact that you can't tell iDVD that a movie is 16:9. It should be a simple flag, my movies will play back in 4:3 as default because there is no way I can set it to reconise 16:9 material.

Nearly all new TV's in Europe are now 16:9 and many manufacturers have stopped making 4:3 TV's. I know that in th US widescreen has not yet taken hold but it is a big ommoiion for Apple. If they want to be the digital hub they need to release a patch to fix this asap.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by JW Pepper:

<strong>

Get real have you seen the price!.

I haven't used iMovie since moving to OSX full time as I was waiting for a SuperDrive. Now I have this LCD iMac I am dissapointed to see that the iMovie plugin pack only works in the OS9 version so I have lost a lot of transitions.

The other problem is that inspite of having a 60GB hard drive I need to defrag becuase I am getting the slow HD message. I find this a little dissapointing in a new machine. It's about time Apple bundled a defragger with it's OS. MS has supplied one since early dos days.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Maybe you should wipe your drive and start over and partition your drive. I would do that if your are getting HD errors on a 2 week old machine.

As for M$, their OS runs off shared libraries, everything using everything and etc, I'm sure that leads to fragmentation very quickly. OS X doesn't really need to be defragged (open to debate..)