Is it too late to buy a MB Pro?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I hear all this uncertain talk about Leopard in October and possibly new hardware, too.

I'm just wondering if I'm going to be disappointed to find out that if I'd waited just a few more months I could have gotten a MB Pro that's top of the line. I'd hate to spend that kind of money on something and have it turn "ancient" the next day.

But everything becomes obsolete at one point anyway, right?

I've tired of waiting. I'm hoping to buy this week. What kinds of updates do you suppose they'll be? Anything a college student to-be / graphic designer is going to miss too terribly?

As always, your help of any kind is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    If you can wait, I would. The MBP is overdue for a refresh and most likely will get one next month. I would expect at least the new Santa Rosa and perhaps more.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Product\tMacBook Pro

RecommendationtBuy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle

Last Release\tOctober 24, 2006

Days Since Update\t175 (Avg = 182)
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomp670 View Post

If you can wait, I would. The MBP is overdue for a refresh and most likely will get one next month. I would expect at least the new Santa Rosa and perhaps more.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Product\tMacBook Pro

RecommendationtBuy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle

Last Release\tOctober 24, 2006

Days Since Update\t175 (Avg = 182)

What is Santa Rosa?

One other thing, is it likely that the updates will improve the overheated problems?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I've been waiting since last winter and I just got tired of it. I picked up one of the refurb Mac Pros so I wouldn't feel COMPLETELY stupid when the updated models come out.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeremiah2911 View Post

What is Santa Rosa?

One other thing, is it likely that the updates will improve the overheated problems?

Santa Rosa is the codename for the next generation mobile platform that Intel will launch in may.

On the heat: Possible yes, but likely no. While the chip will most likely consume less and thus be less hot, they'll be able to feed it more to make it go faster, or reduce the size/cost of the cooling solution and shrink the form factor.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    csi95csi95 Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ex-Windows-Fanboy View Post

I've been waiting since last winter and I just got tired of it. I picked up one of the refurb Mac Pros so I wouldn't feel COMPLETELY stupid when the updated models come out.

I ordered a MacBook Pro on Sunday night. It will be here tomorrow.

The MBP may be due for an update (according to MacRumors), and Intel may be releasing new chips in May, but who knows when Apple will actually use them. Quad Core chips were available from Intel at the end of 2006. They released a Mac Pro with one six months later.

Who knows. They might release a new notebook with the new Intel chips the same day Intel ships. Or they might wait until September.

I'm tired of waiting.

If they suddenly release the greatest-computer-ever-made tomorrow, I'll just dump mine on eBay, suck up the $200 loss, and move on.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Santa Rosa is the codename for the next generation mobile platform that Intel will launch in may.

Oh, okay. Thanks.

Quote:

If they suddenly release the greatest-computer-ever-made tomorrow, I'll just dump mine on eBay, suck up the $200 loss, and move on.

HA. Yeah. That'll be the day. I'm just convinced that they'll release the new stuff the very next day after I buy mine. Maybe I should quit reading Apple news after I buy so I won't know. *lol*

Is it difficult to sell obsolete computers on eBay?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeremiah2911 View Post

Oh, okay. Thanks.

HA. Yeah. That'll be the day. I'm just convinced that they'll release the new stuff the very next day after I buy mine. Maybe I should quit reading Apple news after I buy so I won't know. *lol*

Is it difficult to sell obsolete computers on eBay?

I'm aware you're not totally serious but keep in mind you have like 2 weeks or 16 days (something around there) to update your computer if a new models comes out.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I've been waiting patiently with my PowerBook for the Santa Rosa chips to come out. My way of figuring out when to update is read the rumor and news sites for predicted upcoming additions to notebooks and choose one that seems significant enough for you to wait for. I want that nand technology to boost speeds as well as the new features of the Santa Rosa. Luckily, when I bought my PowerBook, I was a first timer and I had never read any news or rumors sites and I was made obsolete in less than one month... Damn Intel. Oh well, I'm happy.

Recommendation: Wait
  • Reply 9 of 12
    How long should it take before a new hardware upgrade comes for the mbp?(maybe at 11 june?) I know that it are just expections, but I am curious about it...
  • Reply 10 of 12
    I ordered and received my MBP last month because I needed it immediately (I am on an extended assignment away from home most of the week) and didn't feel like waiting, either. It is a wonderful machine (albeit one dead pixel, but I hardly notice it anymore). It does not get too hot and I have Google Earth running at times. Soon I will put CS3 on it, along with some audio recording/editing apps as well as Aperture. Google SketchUp works great, too BTW.

If you need the machine, get it. Upgrades are likely only to be somewhat minor (no guarantees) for the next several months (June is a possibility, but again, a new version might have bugs), and any notebook you buy will serve a good three years.

Leopard is coming in the fall, but there are tons of bugs in it as of right now and there will be a few bugs that surface after its release so I don't anticipate upgrading until January.

If you get a MBP, get a cooling stand for your desk; it is a must.

You might want to chck out this thread:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=73374
  • Reply 11 of 12
    If you buy now and upgrade Apple software in January, you will only add 200 bucks or so to the overall cost of the machine. You don't have to upgrade; there are pro print shops that still run OS 9 (which is a while back) just because they don't feel like upgrading.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Well, I just just hope this link, (http://www.smartratings.com/search/m...ro/item/Search), can help to make up your mind about purchasing a Mac Pro or not. It has reviews, both expert and user, for all of the products listed on the site. Hope it will help.