Vodafone seen as frontrunner for European iPhone contract

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061206-8369.html

This article indicates the UK and Ireland have the largest number of hot spots per capita in the world.

oberpongo pointed out in this thread that T-mobile had 10,000 hotspots - that article indicates the US has 26,000

I rented an apartment in Switzerland in Jan/feb that had a wireless network.

So exactly how does all that equate to non-existent?

I believe it would be more accurate to say that free wifi is non-existent. To use most of the public hotspots here you need to get your credit card out and navigate some hideous web payment page.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jelockwood View Post

All the mobile phone networks suck one way or the other, so it is a matter of which sucks less and this will depend on your own circumstances.

3 (aka. Hutchinson), only do 3G and not 'ordinary' GSM, this would preclude iPhone users being able to roam between the US and Europe for example, and would logically rule them out.

You can still use a 3 phone fine on ordinary GSM. Even though they don't own the masts, it's a transparent switch to the consumer, and you don't pay any more.

For the record, if you take a phone from the UK to Europe, you pay roaming charges even if you're using the same company. So if I'm on Orange, and I go to France and still connect to Orange, I pay the same flat rate roaming charge as if I had connected to any other French network.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    [QUOTE=neondiet;1071374

Everyone goes on about Vodafone customer service. But if your phone and network are working properly, why do you even need to call them? I can't remember the last time I had to talk to a customer service rep from either network.

[/QUOTE]

It's the same thing with Verison here.

They have the best network, but their service stinks.

What's more important?
  • Reply 43 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This whole debate reminds me of the criticism of the iPods because don't have some feature or other, and so certain people simply won't buy them.

I hardly think Apple cares. The fact is that most people will be happy enough with any carrier that has the phone, if they want it. All carriers have gotten better over the years, and will continue to do so.

Suggesting that Apple should go with some small carrier for ANY reason is ridiculous. It simply isn't going to happen.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061206-8369.html

This article indicates the UK and Ireland have the largest number of hot spots per capita in the world.

oberpongo pointed out in this thread that T-mobile had 10,000 hotspots - that article indicates the US has 26,000

I rented an apartment in Switzerland in Jan/feb that had a wireless network.

So exactly how does all that equate to non-existent?

Most major cities in the US have already, or are taken some serious free blanket W-Fi action. London talks the talk, but have yet to walk to the walk. Try and go round the big cities in Ireland and use Wi-fi and you'll see the problems you run in to.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

I believe it would be more accurate to say that free wifi is non-existent. To use most of the public hotspots here you need to get your credit card out and navigate some hideous web payment page.

You can still use a 3 phone fine on ordinary GSM. Even though they don't own the masts, it's a transparent switch to the consumer, and you don't pay any more.

Bingo!
  • Reply 45 of 53
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    The problem with Wu's analysis on this subject is he doesn't seem to know squat about the European phone business. Phone manufacturers never lock themselves in to single carriers.

Then again, it's Apple not Nokia or Sony Ericsson here so perhaps they'll be so equally clueless as to do some crazy single carrier deal. I'll not mind if it's T-Mobile, otherwise the data charges will be so extortionately high that there will be absolutely no point in the iPhone because it'll be too expensive to actually use.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

The problem with Wu's analysis on this subject is he doesn't seem to know squat about the European phone business. Phone manufacturers never lock themselves in to single carriers.

Then again, it's Apple not Nokia or Sony Ericsson here so perhaps they'll be so equally clueless as to do some crazy single carrier deal. I'll not mind if it's T-Mobile, otherwise the data charges will be so extortionately high that there will be absolutely no point in the iPhone because it'll be too expensive to actually use.

Will I switch networks for iPhone?

Yes... but it depends what the network is offering. I won't switch to one without a flat rate data tariff. That's not me being obstinate, but me being practical. If I have an iPhone, I will use a lot of data... it'd be too tempting not to!

Also, I won't get a two year contract. I'd consider 18 months, but I really don't want to be locked in for that length of time, for a phone I already have to pay for. If the phone is free, I'd go two year, but anything more than £100 for the phone (about $200) and it takes a lot of persuading to get me to look at anything over 12 months.

That's just my requirements. I don't know if breaking them would mean iPhone would sell poorly, or if it'd just mean it wouldn't sell to me.

Amorya
  • Reply 47 of 53
    a-mazea-maze Posts: 65member
    Quote:

For the record, if you take a phone from the UK to Europe, you pay roaming charges even if you're using the same company. So if I'm on Orange, and I go to France and still connect to Orange, I pay the same flat rate roaming charge as if I had connected to any other French network.

That's not true

rates depend on which company is friends with your own. you pay far less if you stay in the same franchise. Like Orange-France Telecom-Mobistar (Belgium)-... or Vodaphone-Proximus (Bel)-... or KPN-Hi-Bouygues Telecom (Fra)-Base (Bel)-...

But Roaming is going to get a lot cheaper in Europe. Something we have to thank EU bureaucrats for. They finally get to call cheaper back home and the rest of us during holidays!

Ireland: Stop talking, you're making a fool of yourself. WiFi is so widespread in Belgium (EU) that I can check 5 networks wherever I am. Getting on them is difficult (most private or paying), but a lot are unprotected private ones. A lot of bars are getting actual free WiFi .

I think the iPhone won't be limited by provider but by technology. If your provider uses the new 3G (HSDPA) than you'll have the iPhone immediately, the rest will just have to waite or use the phone as an expensive limited smart phone who happens to be a damn good iPod.

MZ

Hoping for a not locked in iPhone.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Will I switch networks for iPhone?

Yes... but it depends what the network is offering. I won't switch to one without a flat rate data tariff. That's not me being obstinate, but me being practical. If I have an iPhone, I will use a lot of data... it'd be too tempting not to!

That's wise, I wouldn't either. I'm not getting an iPhone though anyway. It's a bit out of my league, for now I'll be holding out for iPhone nano. I just topped up someone's Vodafone phone today, as they were too blind to read the code - boy was it a sucky experience, the computer voice on the other end was slightly retarded, and kept on repeating everything I did back to me. Topping up a Meteor phone is 50 times better of an experience, and one of the reasons I didn't go Vodafone when I renewed my phone last and broke that Razr off a wall, lol.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a-maze View Post

That's not true

rates depend on which company is friends with your own. you pay far less if you stay in the same franchise. Like Orange-France Telecom-Mobistar (Belgium)-... or Vodaphone-Proximus (Bel)-... or KPN-Hi-Bouygues Telecom (Fra)-Base (Bel)-...

No, I believe you're wrong -- it's a flat rate per country. If I go to France, I pay x per minute, regardless of which network I use when I'm there.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    smsm1smsm1 Posts: 6member
    Quote:

No, I believe you're wrong -- it's a flat rate per country. If I go to France, I pay x per minute, regardless of which network I use when I'm there.

It depends on the network that you are on. With Vodafone UK you can subscribe to Vodafone Passport for free and it will get you cheaper phone calls within Europe on "preferred networks".

http://www.abroad.vodafone.co.uk/
  • Reply 51 of 53
    timmtimm Posts: 1member
    Hi

I have to say that I have had a very bad experience with Vodafone UK, friends of mine have had problems also with customers service from Vodafone. I would hope that Apple uses a company like orange, as they treat their customers better.

I doubt I will get an iPhone if Vodafone is the provider, sounds a bit extreme but it's just not worth owning an iPhone if I have to deal with Vodafone again.

Tim
  • Reply 52 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smsm1 View Post

It depends on the network that you are on. With Vodafone UK you can subscribe to Vodafone Passport for free and it will get you cheaper phone calls within Europe on "preferred networks".

http://www.abroad.vodafone.co.uk/

Ah, OK. I've experience with Orange and 3's roaming stuff.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    And 3 offer free roaming for calls to and from your home country if you are in a country that has a 3 network (currently Hong Kong, Australia, UK, Sweeden, Italy, Ireland and Denmark) and the calls is taken/made on that network. I did this whilst I was in Hong Kong recently and have not had to pay a penny in roaming charges which was great. It's called Like Home (http://www.three.co.uk/personal/cove...oad_/index.omp)

Personally I would like to see Three to get the iPhone. Their packages are value for money in my opinion and their service is great.

I agree that whoever gets the deal, if they charge stupid amounts for data usage, then it will cause pain for alot of users.

As for the comment about Vodafone placing their software on the phone, Orange and 3 (to a lesser amount, do the same thing. For me, the way Orange do it annoys me personally (I was with them for two years).

Charel, operators will offer suppliers money for marketing the phone, etc, if they are given exclusivity for the device and the operator gauges that the device is in demand. It is was what Palm did with the Treo 750