money management software

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
any good ones? not looking for anything too complex. im a college student and just wanna keep track of where my money goes. i tried ibank for a bit and it was pretty good. although, $40 for it was a bit pricey and it seemed like it had a bug when every i closed it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    http://www.midnightapps.com/

Chaching but you gotta get it fast. It'll be 40 bucks by weeks end.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    can you import from your bank and in what format .qif (quicken) format???

sometime ago i remember a forum about quicken for mac in which they discussed the void for mac money software and the lack of substance for quicken. i'm still on quicken for mac 03 because i can't justify the purchase. my bank won't automatically sync with quicken i still have to download in qif format any way. do a forum search for quicken i think that discussion included reviews of several money software for mac.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quicken for Mac has some nice features, but the consensus seems to be that the Windows version is much better. I personally never had a problem with Quicken for Mac, but the interface is very un-Mac-like and cumbersome. Chaching has already been mentioned above. They were featured in an episode of MacBreak by Leo Laporte. Seems like a nice bunch of young guys who are really serious about putting out good Mac Software. I have also played around a bit with iBank. If all you need is a basic register and some very basic asset management stuff, it might also be a good choice.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Absolutely, Cha-Ching FTS!
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

i only have 2 days to try it out until it goes up to $40. how good is it in general?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Cha-Ching is very simplistic and lacks even the most basic features from Quicken or MS Money.

I tried it. I wanted to like it, but I gave up very quickly. It just doesn't leave me confident in it's ability to manage my accounts/credit cards.

I wish the developers nothing but the best success, however I'm not quite ready to fork the money out on features that may or may not appear in future versions.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikef View Post

Cha-Ching is very simplistic and lacks even the most basic features from Quicken or MS Money.

I tried it. I wanted to like it, but I gave up very quickly. It just doesn't leave me confident in it's ability to manage my accounts/credit cards.

I wish the developers nothing but the best success, however I'm not quite ready to fork the money out on features that may or may not appear in future versions.

yea...after fooling around with it for a little bit, i started to get bored and disappointed with it. the features and user interface looks just a bit too basic. it didnt have the ability to make pie charts or even split transactions
  • Reply 8 of 9
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    The Cha-Ching user interface shows great potential but the functionality simply isn't there.

If 1.0 is notably better and more feature filled, I will happily pay full price for it.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I recently tried to get my wife to switch from PC to Mac, but the relative suckiness of the Mac Quicken was the deal breaker. I explored a lot of the less established money management applications out there, and they were all pale in comparison. Get Quicken Starter Edition ($30) for Windows and run it under boot camp or parallels. It's worth it. I know that as a college student $ is tight, but take the long view--as you get out into the world and your financial life gets more complex, you'll have a great foundation.