Hey, Londoners! Advise Please!

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Well, it's that time of year again and I'm making another trip to London. I shall do my very best to see that I don't worry any of you about being killed this time.

I'll be there in mid/late June through early July?about 20 days?so if anyone wants to meet up, that's totally possible. My wife will be in Edinburgh for a little bit, so I'll be a bachelor for at least a few days in there.

But I have a question: I'd planned, initially, on staying around Russell Square (for proximity to the BL), but my grant was a little thinner than I'd have liked (and the friggin' pound is at record highs!!), so I'm poking around for other options. I'm finding lots of relatively cheap (£50 a night) rooms in Bayswater. I don't have much experience with that part of London, so I'm wondering if anyone has any advice. I know where it is and all, but I seem to remember someone telling me it could be a little sketchy, depending. Now, I don't think twice about staying in Southwark at the King's dorms on Stamford, so I guess I shouldn't worry, but I thought I'd ask.

So. Any advice?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    ATTENTION LONDONERS:

Tourist of doom en route. Commence evacuation procedures. That is all.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

ATTENTION LONDONERS:

Tourist of doom en route. Commence evacuation procedures. That is all.

You made me LOL out loud.

England prevails.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

When I was in London 2 years ago, I stayed at Imperial Hotel in Russell Square (popular amongst HK travel agencies) and it was horrible!!!! Worse than a Motel 6.

I have honestly stayed in youth hostels that were more comfortable.

That doesn't surprise me. I rented an apartment in South Kensington 2 years ago that was so small I had to tell a friend not to bother coming in from Germany; there wasn't enough room for him to even sleep on the floor. No A/C. No WiFi. Old, uncomfortable, bed. And £89 a night. Nice mews in the back, though.

I don't care about AC. I don't care about WiFi. I would prefer an en suite bathroom, but I don't really care about that, either.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Bayswater's got nice restaurants and the Park at the end of the road. It's not sketchy really, Southwark's generally OK.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

But I have a question: I'd planned, initially, on staying around Russell Square (for proximity to the BL), but my grant was a little thinner than I'd have liked (and the friggin' pound is at record highs!!), so I'm poking around for other options.

So. Any advice?

I stayed around near Russell Square in June 2001 and it was great. Access to the British Museum was a few blocks away and it was relatively quiet. I don't have the information of the B&B I stayed at but it was literally a block away from the square and it was very small quarters, but cheap (for 2001). When I get home I'll see if I can get you some info if you're interested.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    St. Athans Hotel

I wanna go back to London now...
  • Reply 7 of 14
    I like that one, although the double room with en suite is a little more than I'd like to pay (but not too much).

Here are some others I'm looking at:

Goodenough College (cheap rooms for itinerant scholars)

Cardiff Hotel
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by segovius View Post

My old University SOAS - School of Oriental and African Studies - has student accommodation/rooms around Russell Square and it rents these out during non-term time as they are sitting empty otherwise during the summer.

They used to be quite cheap last time I rented - not sure what they are now. Can look into it if you like.

Now, I get it/you.

You 'trained' in SOAS, then. LOL!

UK Revolutionary Islamic Club meeting down the bar was it?....

"We hate the system, but we like Cheese n' Onion...."
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Looks like I'll be going with St. Athans. The location is perfect (I'll be working primarily at the BL...and a 5 minute walk beats a 30 minute tube ride from South Kensington or Southwark.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Done. St. Athans it is.

Anyone want to have a pint at the Euston Flyer in a couple of months?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

St. Athans Hotel

I wanna go back to London now...

Me too!!!!

Looks like a cute little place.

I wonder what kind of deal they make for longer stays, like a week, two weeks?
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carol A View Post

Me too!!!!

Looks like a cute little place.

Well come on! AI meetup in London!

Quote:

I wonder what kind of deal they make for longer stays, like a week, two weeks?

They knocked a couple of pounds a night off my room.