Apple, Cisco attempt to meld iPhone technologies

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    shaminoshamino Posts: 527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Physical buttons have as great an advantage as 'virtual' ones. I can dial a phone without looking at it. Can't do that with virtual buttons (I'm sure we're all looking to the day when everyone's swerving all over the road because they're concentrating on typing in a phone number on their iPhone then driving!). Physical buttons are always where they are. You don't have to worry about them moving under different contexts, either.

For dialing while driving, nothing less than voice dialing will be acceptable. Even pressing physical buttons is far too dangerous while driving.

Apple hasn't demonstrated voice dialing in the iPhone, but I hope it ends up in the final product. I'd love to use an iPhone, and I could even see myself switching carriers to use it, but there's no way I will even consider a phone that I can't dial by speaking into my headset.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Agreed. It shows most people haven't ever worked in a large corporation. ATT phone systems internally have a lot of extra functionality. It would be interesting to use an iPhone via one's corporate internal phone system to get work done remotely that requires use of the phone telecommunications.

In a corporate phone network, there are a few other pieces of integration that they'd need to have. Like using a corporate voice-mail server instead of (or in addition to) the Cingular voice-mail server, keeping the entire user experience just as streamlined. Tying to a corporate calendar server (MS Exchange, LDAP, or anything else commonly used.)

If Apple wants to sell a corporate telephony appliance, they have to be able to integrate with the world's 800-lb gorrillas. They can't work exclusively with their own partners, no matter how technically superior they might be.
  • Reply 42 of 43
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shamino View Post

Tying to a corporate calendar server (MS Exchange, LDAP, or anything else commonly used.)

LDAP is a directory server (e.g., for a hierarchy of contacts, computers, etc.), complete with authentication and all. A calendar server can leverage it, but LDAP itself cannot provide calendar services.
  • Reply 43 of 43
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shamino View Post

For dialing while driving, nothing less than voice dialing will be acceptable. Even pressing physical buttons is far too dangerous while driving.

Apple hasn't demonstrated voice dialing in the iPhone, but I hope it ends up in the final product. I'd love to use an iPhone, and I could even see myself switching carriers to use it, but there's no way I will even consider a phone that I can't dial by speaking into my headset.

In a corporate phone network, there are a few other pieces of integration that they'd need to have. Like using a corporate voice-mail server instead of (or in addition to) the Cingular voice-mail server, keeping the entire user experience just as streamlined. Tying to a corporate calendar server (MS Exchange, LDAP, or anything else commonly used.)

If Apple wants to sell a corporate telephony appliance, they have to be able to integrate with the world's 800-lb gorrillas. They can't work exclusively with their own partners, no matter how technically superior they might be.

Voice dialing is fairly trivial. I don't know what seems to be a problem with it.

There is at least one third party program that allows my Treo 700p to voice dial. It seems to be a simple add-on.