Why is white cheaper????

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just a quick question to make sure im not missing anthing,

I am going to buy a mac book and first looked at the black version as it had the best specs, i was planning to upgrade to 2gb ram but that was the only upgrade i was going to get at the time.

however i have noticed that by buying the white mac book and upgrading to the same specs as the black i will save £30 (ish) is their any reason why????

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Apple charge more for the black version because?*well, because they can. Its shell is matte rather than glossy, and many regard the black as more stylish. Despite being $150 US more for the same specs (don't know the GBP difference, sorry), many are willing to pay extra. It's a luxury variant, if you will.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    I love how you phased the title--why is white cheaper (vs. why is black more expensive) I'm guessing that for you the glass is half full?
  • Reply 3 of 26
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    I paid the premium for black. I like it better.

One thing to note, the remote they ship with it is the same white one everyone gets. Matters not to me, because that one will just be a backup for when I lose the tiny AppleTV one.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomkarl View Post

I paid the premium for black. I like it better.

One thing to note, the remote they ship with it is the same white one everyone gets. Matters not to me, because that one will just be a backup for when I lose the tiny AppleTV one.

Why does apple do that? They do the same thing with the ear buds for the black ipods. OCD people like me can't stand that stuff.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The black one is no longer $150 more than the white MacBook for the same spec'd model, but rather $50 more. I prefer the white one, but I need a 15" screen so I bought neither.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    If you like white save some money and just get white. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it and it also looks sharp.

I have a Blackbook and paid the black tax for just the color cause I just had to have black but I realize that's all it is: paying more for the color.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    if i was to guess, the color costs more because it's a longer process to colorize the plastic used for the body of the laptop. but i doubt it's so much more expensive that they should charge 50 bucks.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The black one is no longer $150 more than the white MacBook for the same spec'd model, but rather $50 more. I prefer the white one, but I need a 15" screen so I bought neither.

It has always only been $50 more.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

(edit: was looking at price ex-gst... doh!) - same in OZ
  • Reply 10 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

no...
  • Reply 11 of 26
    it's the same price. if you take the 2.0 Ghz white and add the extra hard drive option (use Apple's online store), the price works out the same as the black - I just bought one today... a black one that is
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Britblogger View Post

it's the same price. if you take the 2.0 Ghz white and add the extra hard drive option (use Apple's online store), the price works out the same as the black - I just bought one today... a black one that is

Nope, $50 difference.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

no...

yes...
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:

yes...

No. With Core 1 Duo MacBooks, the difference was $150.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Yein!
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

Yein!

Deutsch!
  • Reply 17 of 26
    ootlinkootlink Posts: 41member
    The question should be worded more like this:

Why did Apple make the top of the line MacBook black?

And the answer would be:

To give you another reason to buy it over the lower end models.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    I've been looking at both, with my eye on the black - and at least the demo models I've seen (CompUSA, Apple Store) the white MacBooks seem to have issues with discoloration (most of the ones I've seen look pretty gross, actually). Though I admit I may just be looking for another justification for paying the color premium...
  • Reply 19 of 26
    ootlinkootlink Posts: 41member
    The black ones show grease/grime really easily too \ It's a lose/lose situation!

All a conspiracy to get you to buy a MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OoTLink View Post

The black ones show grease/grime really easily too \ It's a lose/lose situation!

All a conspiracy to get you to buy a MacBook Pro.

That one I believe!