ai51240ai51240 Posts: 87member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...our correspondents from the Savannah College of Art and Design

Go Bees!
  • Reply 22 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaghul View Post

Does anyone know what the 2 white boxes stacked behind one of the Mac Pros are (photograph http://images.appleinsider.com/nab-apple-2007-40.jpg). It looks like they have a power cord and a usb/firewire connection?

Those are the power bricks for the Apple Cinema Displays... As you can see the two DVI cables are coming from the video card, thus two power bricks...

There is only one cable coming from the display which carries the video signal, power, and firewire 400/usb ports.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaghul View Post

Does anyone know what the 2 white boxes stacked behind one of the Mac Pros are (photograph http://images.appleinsider.com/nab-apple-2007-40.jpg). It looks like they have a power cord and a usb/firewire connection?

Power bricks for MacMinis? Other than that...iDunno. \

The legendary Asteroid, perhaps?
  • Reply 24 of 34
    External brick power supply, most likely for the displays

edit: too slow, bet to it x2 :P
  • Reply 25 of 34
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Wow apple kNizows how 2 throw teh g33k party!!1!!1!one!!1!
  • Reply 26 of 34
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

Those are the power bricks for the Apple Cinema Displays... As you can see the two DVI cables are coming from the video card, thus two power bricks...

There is only one cable coming from the display which carries the video signal, power, and firewire 400/usb ports.

The FW/USB extension cables for the monitors don't appear to be in use, they look like they are tied off behind the desk, the cables connected to the Mac Pro are either the wrong color or the wrong shape. The demo stations do look to be very connected, 2x fiberchannel connections and 2x gigE connections, several SDI. Basically, every station had two monitors, and a fairly large widescreen Panasonic HDTV connected to it. I don't know why there were so many Xserves in the racks other than to just show them off, there were more Xserve servers than there were demo stations.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In typical Apple fashion, staffers for Cupertino-based firm demanded our correspondents from the Savannah College of Art and Design Avid NAB Blog shut down their cams and cease taking photos.

What are the rules about taking photos here? Is it because they are private premises that a company can forbid photography?

I remember when the iPod shuffle was due to be announced. Inadvertently some promotional displays became visible through a window and a few fans rapidly started to snap pictures with their cellphones.

An Apple security guard actually grabbed the arm of one of them to stop them. Since they were on public premises, I believe the word "lawsuit" was mentioned...
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaelb View Post

What are the rules about taking photos here? Is it because they are private premises that a company can forbid photography?

I remember when the iPod shuffle was due to be announced. Inadvertently some promotional displays became visible through a window and a few fans rapidly started to snap pictures with their cellphones.

An Apple security guard actually grabbed the arm of one of them to stop them. Since they were on public premises, I believe the word "lawsuit" was mentioned...

Yeah, a security guard being out of line is almost a possible liability. I don't know where taking photos of a store display in a publicly accessible area, by itself, would be a legal problem.

It looks like many of those shots were taken during set-up where attendees are not allowed in, but I don't know if that makes it any more of a legit reason they might try to "shut you down" or not. They might be able to chase people out of the booth, but that's about it.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Great photos man!

Can I ask you a favor? Can you send me the original of the last photo from the 1st page?

It's me in blue shirt and Plantronics headset

Also, it was a hell of a conference and the booth was beatiful. Avid booth was great also and I loved the Avid on Mac
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mugwump View Post

Heheheh... Color Grading in the House.

I dig the lounge thing. Whoever pushed that through should be commended. Same with that server setup.

How did Apple organize the MacBook Pro loaners? 1-request per person? For how long?

Wish I could've stayed in Las Vegas longer for the show.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    bengt77bengt77 Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottiB View Post

Each one of those Barcelona chairs in the Apple Lounge is $3,888 at DWR. What is there 20 of them--though they may be rentals. Those are very, very comfy chairs.

http://www.dwr.com/productdetail.cfm?id=7200

Hehe... that was my thought, too. Once I scrolled past that picture, the other pictures and the news itself couldn't hold my interest anymore. Great chairs. Would die to have one at my house. Mies van der Rohe is a genius. Way too expensive, though, for a mere mortal like myself.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bengt77 View Post

Hehe... that was my thought, too. Once I scrolled past that picture, the other pictures and the news itself couldn't hold my interest anymore. Great chairs. Would die to have one at my house. Mies van der Rohe is a genius. Way too expensive, though, for a mere mortal like myself.

A chair...that costs about 2X a MacPro? I guess there are people with money to burn...
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

A chair...that costs about 2X a MacPro? I guess there are people with money to burn...

It's actually about the price as Apple's previous top-tier MacPro (3GHz Quad/2GB/ATI).

A Mac Pro has a much shorter useful life though, so it's hard to compare. Some exotic chair might have 10x the useful life of any computer.

They are nice chairs, but even with my above statement, I don't think it's necessarily worthwhile.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    I've finally managed to upload photos of Apple's booth, I tried to catch each demo station group. The photos didn't turn out as well as I thought they would, but they are still pretty servicible.

Flickr Gallery