Getting a Laptop For College......

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    leopard is now coming out after i need it.

so i need a current .

the refurb page for macbooks is gone..

there used to be like three different s

does that mean anything?
  • Reply 22 of 32
    Get a new one and be happy with your purchase. If you get it soon and add some of the apps we have suggested in additon to Apple's great apps, you will be set for years to come.

Having power is one thing. The important thing is to learn how to use the power to various ends, which is something you will need to practice over the summer.

Compared to your other school costs, the computer is rather inexpensive, yet will be one of the most important investments you make.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Lanfear, in light of developments in the last two books, shouldn't you change your screen name to Cyndane? Sorry folks, a WoT thing.

To stay on topic, if you can afford it I'd also buy new rather than refurbished.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    Get the top end white or the black Macbook and load it up with 2gb ram Built To Order from Apple (cheaper that way) and start enjoying your Macbook NOW!!!

There will always be another update around the corner that will make your new mac not so new. That is how technology works. So what? You do not need cutting edge to be happy. Enjoy it now. That's one thing I notied about this forum, it seems to harbor unnecessary upgradeitis.

Oh yeah, make sure you get Office for Macs. You will most def need it for college. I thought I could get away with just iWork but after my term started this January I learned very quickly that I was wrong. I also have to run Firefox in Rosetta to do all my online interactive studying which really seems to slow things down (even with 2gb ram so don't scrimp on that ram!) but at least I can get it done and then switch the Rosetta off. Make sure you get a sleeve and hide your macbook in a backpack rather than advertise it in a courier bag too. And get an external to clone your harddrive wiith SuperDuper! in case it gets swiped or something happens with the harddrive and you lose your schoolwork.

Have fun! I know you will love your Macbook as much as I love mine. It is so surprisingly powerful. Can't wait to get a big external monitor for it.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

Get the top end white or the black Macbook and load it up with 2gb ram Built To Order from Apple (cheaper that way) and start enjoying your Macbook NOW!!!

There will always be another update around the corner that will make your new mac not so new. That is how technology works. So what? You do not need cutting edge to be happy. Enjoy it now. That's one thing I notied about this forum, it seems to harbor unnecessary upgradeitis.

Oh yeah, make sure you get Office for Macs. You will most def need it for college. I thought I could get away with just iWork but after my term started this January I learned very quickly that I was wrong. I also have to run Firefox in Rosetta to do all my online interactive studying which really seems to slow things down (even with 2gb ram so don't scrimp on that ram!) but at least I can get it done and then switch the Rosetta off. Make sure you get a sleeve and hide your macbook in a backpack rather than advertise it in a courier bag too. And get an external to clone your harddrive wiith SuperDuper! in case it gets swiped or something happens with the harddrive and you lose your schoolwork.

Have fun! I know you will love your Macbook as much as I love mine. It is so surprisingly powerful. Can't wait to get a big external monitor for it.

{Flame Deleted - JL} DO NOT LISTEN TO HIM. Wait until apple refreshes the macbooks with Intels new Integrated GPU's like has been said earlier in this thread. They will also most likely up the HD size as well. The new MS Office should be coming out soon as well so wait for that so you don't have to use Office 04 under rosetta.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    so are we predicting an update to the macbooks before i have college which starts early september?

Preferably something i can get ahold of in august.

i dont need leopard...
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Yea, the Santa Rosa Platform from Intel which includes the updated x3000 integrated graphics is schedlued to be released in May so inless Apples retarded and wants to be super outdated for the back to school season they will update.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

{Flame Deleted - JL} DO NOT LISTEN TO HIM. Wait until apple refreshes the macbooks with Intels new Integrated GPU's like has been said earlier in this thread. They will also most likely up the HD size as well. The new MS Office should be coming out soon as well so wait for that so you don't have to use Office 04 under rosetta.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

Yea, the Santa Rosa Platform from Intel which includes the updated x3000 integrated graphics is schedlued to be released in May so inless Apples retarded and wants to be super outdated for the back to school season they will update.

• Reply 29 of 32
    b3ns0nb3ns0n Posts: 95member
    Quote:

Oh yeah, make sure you get Office for Macs. You will most def need it for college. I thought I could get away with just iWork but after my term started this January I learned very quickly that I was wrong. I also have to run Firefox in Rosetta to do all my online interactive studying which really seems to slow things down (even with 2gb ram so don't scrimp on that ram!) but at least I can get it done and then switch the Rosetta off.

Firefox has been universal for over a year now... http://wiki.mozilla.org/Mac:Intel

To the original poster, as they say, buy it when you need it. If that means August, then absolutely no harm can come from waiting until August. Even if they don't update them by then (unlikely, IMO) at least your AppleCare will last longer when you most need it - when you're on campus.

Personally I'd also consider buying second hand on eBay as an option, but I know how apprehensive some people are about that.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by b3ns0n View Post

Firefox has been universal for over a year now... http://wiki.mozilla.org/Mac:Intel

Yes, that is very well known BUT that doesn't mean the websites are written in universal friendly code. Look at how Yahoo news feed video section wasn't compatible for Firefox viewing until just recently.

The Anatomy and Physiology course I am taking relies heavily on using an interactive website that doesn't allow Firefox to pass the browser compatibilty test unless I run it with Rosetta. It's called Course Compass and it's run by Pearson Education which is quite popular. The website is also used for other science classes as well. So if you are a medical student who buys a macbook you should know this and be prepared. My college's online classes have given me no compatibilty issues at all. Just Pearson's website which I unfortunately have to use to study and do my assignments daily. It runs okay but I always turn the Rosetta off right away when I want to go to the rest of the web cause I notice how slow it makes everything run.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    b3ns0nb3ns0n Posts: 95member
    Quote:

Yes, that is very well known BUT that doesn't mean the websites are written in universal friendly code. Look at how Yahoo news feed video section wasn't compatible for Firefox viewing until just recently.

The Anatomy and Physiology course I am taking relies heavily on using an interactive website that doesn't allow Firefox to pass the browser compatibilty test unless I run it with Rosetta. It's called Course Compass and it's run by Pearson Education which is quite popular. The website is also used for other science classes as well. So if you are a medical student who buys a macbook you should know this and be prepared. My college's online classes have given me no compatibilty issues at all. Just Pearson's website which I unfortunately have to use to study and do my assignments daily. It runs okay but I always turn the Rosetta off right away when I want to go to the rest of the web cause I notice how slow it makes everything run.

Ah, that sucks. Sorry for coming across like I knew best when I obviously didn't, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for explaining.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by b3ns0n View Post

Ah, that sucks. Sorry for coming across like I knew best when I obviously didn't, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for explaining.

Hey, no worries.

I thought I wasn't going to have any Firefox probs either!! We just have to make sure we give websites feedback to change these things.