Apple developing active desktop feature for Mac OS X

Comments

• Reply 41 of 69
    angevilangevil Posts: 12member
    I would love to see this in Leopard. Animated desktop sounds great, especially those ideas with sun, shadows, sea, stars..

I want my desktop to be nice, and this way it could be breathtaking. I know some of you think that it is better to have some functional new features, but what`s wrong with some eye candy like this? You can always turn it off if you don`t need it.

If this is going to be a part of Mac OS, it should be in Leopard and not wait until OS XI. Come on, people - Leopard is not out until half of a year passes, and OS XI might not be here until 2010 or much later.
  • Reply 42 of 69
    pomopomo Posts: 51member
    Think of this as a new way to interact with the desktop while it not eating your RAM.

Seriously, when it comes to motion graphics, (eg. After Effects) you could incorporate some killer graphics but the graphics must be rendered. If they move live, they would eat up your RAM like a hog, and its not interactive. Now think of flash player, it is very interactive and the possibilities would be endless if it didn't eat up your RAM. That's when the recipes kick in.

Imagine a fully interactive desktop with depth. Where other programs would have to render and still would eat your RAM and VRAM, the recipes would allow changes (such as hues, rotations, positions, and even 3D depth possibilities like lighting and camera angles), with just a few memory.

That means that the future GUI will be RAD
  • Reply 43 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pgb0517 View Post

Waste of Apple's resources! How does this help me administer hundreds of Macs in a corporate environment? Let Apple focus on making the Active Directory plug-in and other business-related tools work flawlessly before they waste time on eye candy. And hey, how about that Leopard release date?

It puzzles me how much energy people use being negative! I don´t understand it! If there where a sound argument behind it I might understand, but....

First of all... A big OS such as "the" Vista and "the animal" Leopard have got to take a lenghty time to develop and finish. Most important is that the OS works and is new and evolved compared to its predecessor. Therefore its imortant that they take their time to do it right so that we as customers get a final quality product. Of cause Microsoft had much more problems with Vista, and compared to Leopard it was a yawning process to see it getting done. I don´t mind though - I´m an Apple fanboy They were several years late, as to the first pronounced launching day. It just kept being pushed further and further in to the future. As to "the" Leopard it´s pretty much on time! and is being worked on to ensure a new evolution in operating systems! I´m VERY GLAD that they take their time to get it done right! OF CAUSE!!! It´s just being delayed a few months... COME ON!

Second... Many Mac users will embrace new eyecandy because this is what Apple among other things do best!!! The guys who make these new features are most certaintly not on a "buisness tools-team" so why on earth blame these guys! I think Apple is having other teams looking in to that particular problem.

Personaly I´m really looking forward to the release of this MONSTER (Leopard). I think it will be great!
  • Reply 44 of 69
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syklee26 View Post

Isn't this feature already in Vista or something? Maybe I am misunderstanding the whole concept...

Not quite...

"Windows Vista Ultimate Extras" has something called "Windows Dreamscene" which allows the user to set a movie as their desktop picture.

You may be thinking of Active Desktop which has been around forever and, as someone else noted above, is basically using the desktop as an HTML page.

This Apple patent sounds more like using Quartz compositions as your desktop.
  • Reply 45 of 69
    I'm wondering if Apple is going to be able to patent this because isn't one of the Windows Vista Ultimate Extras supposed to be something like this? I forgot what it's called, but it's like a moving desktop background thing.
  • Reply 46 of 69
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And Diggers will point out that MS has had "Active Desktop" for years.

I called that one. Do I get a brownie?
  • Reply 47 of 69
    Seriously folks....does anyone read any of the prior posts before injecting their opinion?

THIS IS ALREADY SUPPORTED IN OS X 10.4.x !!!!

This is simply talking about combining the existing technologies of Quartz 2D, Core Image, OpenGL, and QuickTime.

Apple has an application called Quartz Composer that anyone can get and use as a part of the existing developer tools. It is in fact a visual development environment which makes it very accessible to non-developers. You can read an overview on Apple's website here.

If you don't want to bake your own you can have the screen savers included with OS X or compostions from Zugakousaku or here as your desktop.

From there you can use a couple different FREE applications to render any Quartz Composition as your desktop. Quartz Desktop does an excellent job.

And as you can see these compositions can link out to the web (RSS ScreenSaver as an example) so you could easily have a simple background that shifted color to represent temperature or any number of other effects based on external data.

So any comments that infer a delay to Leopard due to attempts to implement this are just NUTS. Before anyone responds that OS X doesn't have an equivalent to an application such as Quartz Desktop included in the OS; they already have these running as screen savers and can easily add this as a z-buffer on the actual desktop.

---

Regards,

Rob
  • Reply 48 of 69
    atokenatoken Posts: 3member
    This is what I expect from Leopard:
    • A new GUI. Apple will "revolutionize" the desktop by removing the window. We will use apps full screen.

• Touch screen. The new OS will fully support touch screen gestures together with spaces.

• 3D and animiations built right in. Spaces is much more advanced than we thought before. We can pinch and zoom apps, all in beautiful 3D animation using Core Animation.

• Syncing multiple computes like a blaze. iPod nicely connects to many iTunes using smart authentication protocol. Voice Memos and songs can be shared if not copyright-protected.

• Faster. Much faster Safari and fixes of memory leeks etc.

• Advanced much powerful yet user friendly bookmark bar in Safari - icons, possible to group items so they are closer to each other, one the top line e.g. "TIME -AG" where TIME leads to TIME and AG leads to the blog at TIME. Graphical bookmarks. Also, bookmarks can be browsed and arranged in 3D.

• Integrated remote desktop features. Much better than previous ARD, faster protocol, smarter. Connected to iChat.

• Apple TV integration. Possible to receive Apple TV streams from usual TV broadcasts (digital TV; maybe an upgrade) right into the iPhone, and into any computer. Apple TV is the media hub, iPhone the small viewer.

• 3D effects everywhere...

• Improved filesystem, improved FileVault security and reliability, possible to encrypt partitions...

• Possible to organise files nicely using a much smarter non-hierarchical file system with classifications, comments, nice tagging, colours and custom styles. Finally the Finder is useful and no extra tools needed for the document repository...

• The Dock is replaced by something much cooler.

• The ugly Time Machine changes style. No more Windows-like pictures, all professional looking instead.

• Not use iTunes for syncing (that would be idiotic). Instead - everything becomes iTunes using a framework etc.

• Distributed filesystems, let files float around in your home, let folders be distributed over the Internet. The outdated oldfashioned bad .Mac obliviates and is replaced by a distributed filesystem for sharing. It's free and in the system, decentralised. Publishing feature remains costly, but custom publishing entirely supported using standardised upload protocols (FTP etc).

• X11 server integrated, Vista server integrated ... well maybe not...

I think we will not get all of this... But maybe at least the first few...?
  • Reply 49 of 69
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    Would the users be able to interact with the desktop? For instance, one a water background a trail of waves would be formed by the mouse. Interacting with the desktop would be interesting to see in action, however like one person said, how much do we actually see our deesktops?
  • Reply 50 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by atoken View Post

This is what I expect from Leopard:

With that shopping list you really need to add "disappointed."
  • Reply 51 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

Would the users be able to interact with the desktop? For instance, one a water background a trail of waves would be formed by the mouse. Interacting with the desktop would be interesting to see in action, however like one person said, how much do we actually see our deesktops?

I almost never see my desktop so I use a simple black background. Which I had to make in MS Paint since the Solid Colors options only has ten presets and absolutely no way to create your own. which makes no sense since all the other option allow you to create your own color using the color palette to fill in any spaces around pics.
  • Reply 52 of 69
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    This is kinda cool and nice to have but not really necessary, but I guess it could help potential switchers who loved to be wooed by little interface touches. That's what's selling vista to a lot of user "ooh" and "awww"ing about an OS that looks better than XP.

When I press F9 around winusers that don't know OSX, they flip.
  • Reply 53 of 69
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by i386 View Post

mmh haven't you tried OSXPlanet ? \

Hadn't heard of it... downloading now.
  • Reply 54 of 69
    I hope they combine the desktop and dashboard.

The desktop should fly in like dashboard does now. So no matter which space you are in the desktop simply overlays itself on top when it is needed.

The backdrop changes depending on the space.
  • Reply 55 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pgb0517 View Post

Waste of Apple's resources! How does this help me administer hundreds of Macs in a corporate environment? Let Apple focus on making the Active Directory plug-in and other business-related tools work flawlessly before they waste time on eye candy. And hey, how about that Leopard release date?

Somehow I don't think the engineers working on this "feature" are the same guys working on Active Directory support. It's graphics engineering NOT network engineering.
  • Reply 56 of 69
    trtamtrtam Posts: 111member
    I'd like my desktop to transition from day to night of a landscape (like the beach with a sunset at around 6-7:00 p.m.).
  • Reply 57 of 69
    If this is anything like Quartz Composer files as desktops if anything it'll take more resources than a static picture. And we wont be able to point to this as an advantage over windows because they are already doing the same thing. This even includes the dynamic stuff... (like stuff that happens at certain times in the day). Also even if we had this and it worked great it better be optional. I still will probably want to use static pictures sometimes. Unless this can automatically procedurally generate any photo or character without loss of quality, or whatever I want then there still are plenty of static pictures that I would want to use.

The main thing I wanted to comment on is I would hate it if we where forced to use all our applications full screen. Sure for some applications and some functions full screen is ideal. But this isn't true for all applications and there are a lot of times when I like having mixed windows and multitask that way. This is especially true when I am doing instant messaging and e-mail. I don't want to go back to how it was when we didn't have windowing systems and all the applications where full screen.

If you want to devote a whole screen to one task then use spaces or use one of those mods that sets applications full screen.. I have seen one (forgot where). =P
  • Reply 58 of 69
    Change the filesystem over to ZFS. Dump out-dated HFS+
  • Reply 59 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by curtegg View Post

Change the filesystem over to ZFS. Dump out-dated HFS+

I never get tired of people pushing for new technology or calling current tech outdated, or worse, "obsolete" just because something new is on the horizon despite having absolutely no regard for the feasibility of this new tech.
    It's not ready for the big time yet. It was conceived 2.5 years ago and the first working code was released a scarce 1.5 years ago. I expect all of ZFS' problems will get worked out, but Leopard will most definitely be HFS+.
  • Reply 60 of 69
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I never get tired of people pushing for new technology or calling current tech outdated, or worse, "obsolete" just because something new is on the horizon despite having absolutely no regard for the feasibility of this new tech.
    It's not ready for the big time yet. It was conceived 2.5 years ago and the first working code was released a scarce 1.5 years ago. I expect all of ZFS' problems will get worked out, but Leopard will most definitely be HFS+.

I hope Leopard offers both, but I really don't know what's wrong with HFS+ on a single drive system, and I don't see that much advantage to ZFS on a single drive notebook or desktop. If standard Leopard offers it and it is stable, then that would make the price worthwhile, it should give me failure resistance on a drive array without requiring an expensive RAID card, assuming proper setup, of course.