Buying abroad

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Guys I need some advice !!

Having decided I need/want a new macbook, living in the UK this will cost me approx £880

I have a friend who fly's the Atlantic alot on biz. If i got him to buy a macbook in NY, saving myself approx £230 on current exchange rates.

Would I, if I ever encountered problems on the macbook have an invalidated warranty due to fact that living in the UK but purchased a US model ?

All advice gratefully received !!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    b3ns0nb3ns0n Posts: 95member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by welshwiz View Post

Guys I need some advice !!

Having decided I need/want a new macbook, living in the UK this will cost me approx £880

I have a friend who fly's the Atlantic alot on biz. If i got him to buy a macbook in NY, saving myself approx £230 on current exchange rates.

Would I, if I ever encountered problems on the macbook have an invalidated warranty due to fact that living in the UK but purchased a US model ?

All advice gratefully received !!

I would definitely do it. I can't imagine that you would invalidate the applecare (does apple intend those who emigrate to invalidate their warranty?) although it is possible. At the worst you might have to go through US support channels and get your friend to hand it in for repair. However bear in mind that you can buy the UK applecare 3-year extension for £199, which is less than the money you'd save anyway. Therefore for me it'd be a no brainer.

Do you intend to pay VAT on it?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    My friend bought a broad from overseas. I think she came from Russia. She was nuts. I would not recommend it.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Apple care specifically state that MacBooks purchased in the U.S. can be serviced over seas... it also states that this is NOT the case for desktops.