Apple's interface held to the fire in dubious suit

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    If Apple settle with them for $20 million, with a license to use it in the future, and a requirement that the company sue other companies abusing the patent, then Apple could come out of it reasonably cheaply and know that Microsoft will also get hassled.

Yes, despite the claim being overly generic and stifling innovation, and the fact that damages should be based upon how much the patent holder loses because of the infringement (i.e., if you're a patent troll, you have no losses because you have no products) it is probably better for Apple to settle this one.

Unless they have solid proof of prior art - any form of tabbed interface should do. But the US patent office takes WAY TOO LONG to rule on prior art submissions for patents, and the law system doesn't allow for the patent to be reviewed by the patent office before ruling (hence why RIM had to pay NTP last year despite NTP's patents being crap). So a court case would not be to decide on the validity of the patent, but on whether it was violated or not. The system is broken, but the people who could fix it have a vested interest in it remaining broken.

This is a great example of why I hope that Europe never allows software patents.
  • Reply 22 of 80
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    Have to agree with people here, where have they been for the last 2 years?

In other news, I am getting fingers patented, so that anyone who uses fingers has to pay me to do so :P .
  • Reply 23 of 80
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Don't you have to continually enforce your patent during it's lifetime, or it'll be declared invalid - like trademarks? Tabs have been used in Microsoft products since at least Windows 3.1, and probably in early Macs too... If they're only enforcing it after 20 years, I think they'd find it hard to make it stick.
  • Reply 24 of 80
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    The only thing more predictable than these frivolous law suits are the knee-jerk reactions from AppleInsider's "legal experts".

In other news, I am getting fingers patented, so that anyone who uses fingers has to pay me to do so :P .

That is so funny! And original!
  • Reply 25 of 80
    Give it a rest, Wilco.

Is there a "statute of limitations" or comparable thing in patent cases? Don't they have to show that they have used the same patent within a certain period? (What was that stuff about the iPhone?) What does this tiny company do, anyway?

What modern software doesn't use tabs? Are they going to also claim a patent on the tabs in my file drawers (the physical ones)? (Yep, that was a knee-jerk response, but one someone is gonna want to ask.)

Can we get a link to said suit?

Haven't Macs had folders (and thus tab images) since 1983, predating said patent? If so, why the hell didn't Apple patent the idea? I agree with whoever above said that Apple sure could avoid a lot of messes if they would just open teir eyes and look where they are walking.
  • Reply 26 of 80
    I would think that this would affect Microsoft also. They are a much bigger target and can get them a whole lot more mula.

A 20 year old patent comes to light now, wow.

Most items being patented are obvious IMHO, the whole idea was that they not be obvious, to be truely original thinking. This kind of stuff is preventing further innovation. Companies have to do to much research when they have an idea to see if anyone patented the idea before they can go ahead and develop the idea. The mass of spagetty that represents the patents today are very vague and hard to find if they apply or not.

Clicking a section of the screen and having some other content painted over the content currently being shown is very basic and obvious. Not that much difference between a button and a tab.

I know, some of you like patents, I dont mind them if they are clear and cheap to research. What is the life of a patent today 50 years?

In the world of computing that is like 500 years. I started in the industry back in 72 and I can tell you that I have seen a hell of a lot of changes and inovation over the last 34 years. IMHO in electronic, software, computing and comunication hardware it makes no sense to grant patents with a life of more than 10-15 years. After that they totaly get in the way.
  • Reply 27 of 80
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
  • Reply 28 of 80
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Give it a rest, Wilco.

Is there a "statute of limitations" or comparable thing in patent cases? Don't they have to show that they have used the same patent within a certain period? (What was that stuff about the iPhone?) What does this tiny company do, anyway?

What modern software doesn't use tabs? Are they going to also claim a patent on the tabs in my file drawers (the physical ones)? (Yep, that was a knee-jerk response, but one someone is gonna want to ask.)

Can we get a link to said suit?

Haven't Macs had folders (and thus tab images) since 1983, predating said patent? If so, why the hell didn't Apple patent the idea? I agree with whoever above said that Apple sure could avoid a lot of messes if they would just open teir eyes and look where they are walking.

zzzzzzzzzz
  • Reply 29 of 80
    Unless this patent is much more specific than the article says such that Apple uniquely violating it in some way, then yes, this should have been brought up so many years ago.

And if so, then why not against Microsoft? It's a bigger fish. Perhaps they think MS has too much money, and would fight them, but that Apple would cave easily, giving them at least some money rather than a long court battle? I would not be surprised if we soon see an announcement that Microsoft has taken a license from these people, setting it up for them to go after Apple with the goal being to shut down Tiger shipments for a while. This would also mean they could not ship any computers unless they put Windows on them. Like I said, this one smells fishy.

But maybe Apple can have the last laugh. Seems like they might have some legal traction with whatever agreement they had with Xerox back in 1979, that let them use some of the Xerox PARC innovations to develop a commercial product. Xerox later sued Apple about it and lost.
  • Reply 30 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

zzzzzzzzzz

Are you actually attempting humor for a change? It's never too late...

---

Are other sites picking up on the lawsuit, yet?
  • Reply 31 of 80
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

No link to said patent?

Added.

-K
  • Reply 32 of 80
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    Quote:

That is so funny! And original!

Quote:

zzzzzzzzzz

Urmm, who crapped in your cornflakes this morning? Cheer up will ya.
  • Reply 33 of 80
    macvaultmacvault Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

An Illinois-based company and its Nevada partner have filed a lawsuit against Apple Inc., alleging that Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" treads on an interface patent that affects the operating system's nearly universal use of tabs....

Tabs? What "tabs"??? Would somebody enlighten me how Mac OS X Tiger makes use of tabs? Safari does, but this suit makes it sound like a system-wide thing, and I don't see tabs anywhere except in Safari. What are they talking about?
  • Reply 34 of 80
    dkriebdkrieb Posts: 10member
    About a year ago Apple hired the chief legal counsel from IBM. This guy is good. His team will tear them apart.
  • Reply 35 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Apple took an idea that's 20 years old and probably never been used, and innovated on it. Apple didn't win against Microsoft so I don't see LLC winning anything.

Ummm you realize that while MS didn't "lose" they DID settle out of court. The "Look and feel" lawsuit was one reason that MS invested in Apple after the second coming of Steve.
  • Reply 36 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maciver View Post

Cliveat5 is the best poster, he needs to shed some knowledge on this topic. Clive, are you listening? Shed some knowledge

Wow, okay, I'm flattered. \

I don't have much to add to this conversation. I will say, however, that Apple's implementation of tabs isn't nearly as widespread as, say, Windows, or worse yet, the preferences for MS Word... three rows of tabs! Yikes! Thus I'd say that a victory for these cheapskates would mean a world of havoc for Microsoft.

In light of this, I almost hope they win... and decide to take on Big-Redmond.

-Clive
  • Reply 37 of 80
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Stacks in Hypercard already presented uses for the tab style interface, though the real large scale use of tabs I believe came from Microsoft. I first remember seeing the use of tabs in Microsoft Windows and then in MS-Office. They were also present in MacOS 9.

There is this Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tab_%28GUI%29

which suggests that tabs were introduced by IBM in 1987, though was this before or after the filing of the patent? Either way software patents are too long for the speed at which the IT field is progressing.
  • Reply 38 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

I know, some of you like patents, I dont mind them if they are clear and cheap to research. What is the life of a patent today 50 years?

A patent is good for 20 years from date of filing. The patent in question was filed March 25, 1987.
  • Reply 39 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by khamil5 View Post

Happy belated 4 20

I have got to agree with these to quotes even though I am totally Under the In and its 6:40 the next morning and I haven't slept but hey I can't sleep so why not start posting on Apple Insider lol.........................

LOL That was a bit of a rant. and now its like 7:10 so I am going to head on over to facebook.

bbye!

sounds like you celebrated properly. keep it up.
  • Reply 40 of 80
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by craigd6861 View Post

A patent is good for 20 years from date of filing. The patent in question was filed March 25, 1987.

I thought it was twenty one years from filing, or twenty from approval. Details like that seem to change from time to time, I've forgotten important details, if I haven't, my information is probably old. If it's 20 from filing, then it's already expired.