Upgrading Core Duo MacBooks with Apple 802.11n hardware

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    Hey, I just did the swap using a MacPro upgrade kit and it's works amazingly with the new N Airport extreme. And i just saw they're selling on Ebay now for what is a reasonable price considering it's an internal card with great speed, instead of some dumb external usb thing or a pcmcia card or express card. This is definately the way to go for those who have been screwed by apple. Ebay has set us Free!
  • Reply 42 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

This is definately the way to go for those who have been screwed by apple.

How exactly were you screwed by Apple?
  • Reply 43 of 47
    These MacPro upgrade kits are on Ebay now! Ebay has set us free to hack our sistems and make them 5x faster and more amazing! Oh, i've done the upgrade bye the way and it's workin like a charm.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How exactly were you screwed by Apple?

screwed in that they won't be offering an upgrade and i have to go find out how to do it myself.
  • Reply 45 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

screwed in that they won't be offering an upgrade and i have to go find out how to do it myself.

Gotcha. Don't you think screwed is a little harsh? It's not like they ever promised such a service. For future reference, Apple doesn't do any after-market upgrades and the only upgrades they do offer are build-to-order options on new machines.

There are some shops that will do pretty much anything you can imagine but they will charge you quite a bit. So much so that it's usually more advantageous just to sell your old machine and buy a new one.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Gotcha. Don't you think screwed is a little harsh? It's not like they ever promised such a service. For future reference, Apple doesn't do any after-market upgrades and the only upgrades they do offer are build-to-order options on new machines.

There are some shops that will do pretty much anything you can imagine but they will charge you quite a bit. So much so that it's usually more advantageous just to sell your old machine and buy a new one.

Yeah, i guess "screwed" was harsh. I just felt jipped. I guess that will teach me not to buy the first version of anything. Anyway. Here's that ebay link for all you adventurous people that want to do the upgrade yourself.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:us
  • Reply 47 of 47
    The 802.11n Mac Pro card does not fit completely in the MacBook Pro 17. The problem is that the standard 802.11g card has a heat sink on one side and nothing on the other. On the Mac Pro card, there is a heat sink on both sides. This lifts the card by about 2mm and presses down on the metal sheathing and also runs into a black plastic mount used to anchor the card. The net result is that it is pivoted up rather than seating flat. The causes a minor (and very slight) bulge under the left speaker grill where the top of the card is.

Despite this, when I powered it up, it was working. I already had an Airport Extreme 11n running with the latest 7.1.1 firmware and did not need to install the enabler on the MBP (separately). Upon boot, Network Utility showed a/b/g/n available and the connection speed was 130MB (I'm two floors away). I set the airport to 802.11n only and the card connected so I am certain it is using 802.11n now. Again, this is without doing anything with any software.

I made a picture gallery of this issue, you can see it here:

Mac Book Pro 17 802.11n Upgrade Problem Pictures

I'm going to perform the upgrade on the MBP 15 next and see if that has the same problem.

Revised: I am getting 270MB when running 802.11n @ 5Ghz and 130MB when running 802.11n @ 2.4Ghz.

Revised: The fit is much better in the MBP 15. No reported problems and again, by installing the Airport base station software first, there appears to be no need to mess with the enabler. It just works right away after boot.