Fans madness...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Every once and a while a fan im the back of m Mac Pro get really loud. It sounds like an airplane taking off, and then stops. I feel like this just started a few days ago. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it normal, or is something wacky about it?

EDIT - after looking in the case it is my ATI Radeon x1900 512MB fan...Does this happen to anyone else?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

Every once and a while a fan im the back of m Mac Pro get really loud. It sounds like an airplane taking off, and then stops. I feel like this just started a few days ago. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it normal, or is something wacky about it?

EDIT - after looking in the case it is my ATI Radeon x1900 512MB fan...Does this happen to anyone else?

It is perhaps something like that?
  • Reply 2 of 21
    that could be the problem, what the hell can I do about this? should I try the fan app, or just sit and wait?
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Quote:

that could be the problem, what the hell can I do about this? should I try the fan app, or just sit and wait?

In the french version of Hardmac they say that you need to clean the air entrance of the x1900. It may catch too much dust. This would require disassembling the ventilation system I suppose.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

In the french version of Hardmac they say that you need to clean the air entrance of the x1900. It may catch too much dust. This would require disassembling the ventilation system I suppose.

Well, both parts of the GPU are clear of dust, my room is pretty much clean most of the time. No dust or anything has built up anywhere, yet. I downloaded the fan utility and set the PCI/HDD fans to 1100. I left my computer on today to see if it acts up when I get back from work. As far as I can tell, the fan noise didn't raise at all, so if it isn't acting up when I get home, I guess it's ok. I just need to keep the utility running, which isn't a big deal I guess...

I have noticed that when the GPU fan kicks in sometimes, it sounds like a loose bearing is kicking around a bit, but it goes away. I'm guessing this is the faulty part that breaks down according to the post on that website. Being that I bought this computer in like February, I wonder if Apple will do anything about this if I call them. I guess I'll see what they say when I get home. I just can't take my tower anywhere being that I live in the city and I don't have a car.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    When I'm just browsing some websites, using Photoshop, and other light programs, the fan doesn't seem to kick on anymore. When I watched a movie last night is when it started acting up again. The video was getting choppy towards the end and the fan wouldn't go off at one point. What should I do about this?
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:

When I'm just browsing some websites, using Photoshop, and other light programs, the fan doesn't seem to kick on anymore. When I watched a movie last night is when it started acting up again. The video was getting choppy towards the end and the fan wouldn't go off at one point. What should I do about this?

Sorry, it is very difficult to say what may happen. If I was you, I would try to reproduce the video (DVD?) choppiness having at the same time open the Activity Monitor to see if something eats up constantly CPU cycles. The Mac Pro has resources to spare so that you can see not one but many videos at the same time smoothly.

Regardless, you can always monitor your CPU usage, especially when you have noise, and see if something unusual shows up.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:

Sorry, it is very difficult to say what may happen. If I was you, I would try to reproduce the video (DVD?) choppiness having at the same time open the Activity Monitor to see if something eats up constantly CPU cycles. The Mac Pro has resources to spare so that you can see not one but many videos at the same time smoothly.

Regardless, you can always monitor your CPU usage, especially when you have noise, and see if something unusual shows up.

Well, it's not a CPU issue I don't think because right after the choppiness starts the GPU fan kicks in, when it's on the video is ok, when it turns off, a minute later the video gets choppy again.

I called Apple yesterday and they told me to bring it down to a service center. The only problem is I don't have a car, and taking this HUGE computer on the subway is kind of a joke. I gotta figure something out.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:

Well, it's not a CPU issue I don't think because right after the choppiness starts the GPU fan kicks in, when it's on the video is ok, when it turns off, a minute later the video gets choppy again.

OK, it seems to be a video card issue then.

Quote:

I called Apple yesterday and they told me to bring it down to a service center. The only problem is I don't have a car, and taking this HUGE computer on the subway is kind of a joke. I gotta figure something out.

I am in the same situation (no car). This is one of the reasons I would not like to have such a big machine in my home. But if I remember well with AppleCare you can have a technician in your place to check the computer and make repairs. Otherwise, you will have to ask some friend for assistance to bring it to a service center.

Good luck.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:

But if I remember well with AppleCare you can have a technician in your place to check the computer and make repairs. Otherwise, you will have to ask some friend for assistance to bring it to a service center.

Good luck.

I asked them about sending someone over to look at it, but apparently because I live in NYC, we have 2 Apple stores, and we have hundreds of stores where we can drop them off to get fixed. Of course none of them are near me, so it's either take a cab which would be a lot of money, or get on the subway with this thing and start walking down blocks.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I asked them about sending someone over to look at it, but apparently because I live in NYC, we have 2 Apple stores, and we have hundreds of stores where we can drop them off to get fixed. Of course none of them are near me, so it's either take a cab which would be a lot of money, or get on the subway with this thing and start walking down blocks.

I would press them again. If you really do have Applecare and they aren't willing to send you a tech, then they aren't living up to the claims of the Applecare service.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I would press them again. If you really do have Applecare and they aren't willing to send you a tech, then they aren't living up to the claims of the Applecare service.

While you are right in what you say, the AppleCare terms are stated in such a way that Apple and not the client is always right. Look at this excerpt from the AppleCare pages:

Quote:

Repair service may include onsite, carry-in, and direct mail-in; specific availability of each option depends on product type and location of Apple Authorized Service Provider

Now who and on what basis decides how the location of Apple Authorized Service Provider plays into onsite repair? There is a comfortable manoeuvre margin for Apple here.

By the way, Digital Disasta what finally happened?
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Well, I turned the fans up more, and it doesn't seem to do it anymore. You can kind of hear the 2 fans in the front if you listen hard, but now that the fan on the GPU doesn't spin up all the time, I can hear the HDD's working, which I don't think I ever herd before, so I guess it's ok now.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:

Well, I turned the fans up more, and it doesn't seem to do it anymore. You can kind of hear the 2 fans in the front if you listen hard, but now that the fan on the GPU doesn't spin up all the time, I can hear the HDD's working, which I don't think I ever herd before, so I guess it's ok now.

OK, that's good. I know well how annoying can be to lug around such a box.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:

OK, that's good. I know well how annoying can be to lug around such a box.

Yeah I was really hoping that everything would be ok when I turned up the fans, because, lugging that huge tower into mid town Manhattan and walking around with all the people...wow lets not talk about it. Everything works so I'm happy again
  • Reply 15 of 21
    I suppose it's good that it worked out that well. That description of your current condition is very close to what I get with mine, I barely hear any fan at all.

If you ever do need to haul it in, I suggest getting a luggage dolly and wrap the case in a blanket. Luggage dollies are probably a little hard to find now that most luggage has wheels. I happen to have one and almost used it but my "bad" network jack seemed to fix itself before I had to do that.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:

I suppose it's good that it worked out that well. That description of your current condition is very close to what I get with mine, I barely hear any fan at all.

If you ever do need to haul it in, I suggest getting a luggage dolly and wrap the case in a blanket. Luggage dollies are probably a little hard to find now that most luggage has wheels. I happen to have one and almost used it but my "bad" network jack seemed to fix itself before I had to do that.

Yeah a dollie wouldn't be that bad of an idea...Honestly, I don't know how anyone in the city gets big stuff fixed without a car.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:

...I suggest getting a luggage dolly ...

Thanks JeffDM for that. I had in my mind the image but not being a native english speaker I did not know how you name it in english. Google made for me the identification with the term you provided.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Thanks JeffDM for that. I had in my mind the image but not being a native english speaker I did not know how you name it in english. Google made for me the identification with the term you provided.

That's good. I wasn't totally sure that was what it was called either. I made a guess based on my shipping & moving experience.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    one more problem now haha. I installed Windwos Vista and the fan goes nuts now when one of the 3d screen savers goes on. I haven't even tried doing any 3d yet, I'm guessing it's going to be bad. Is their any kind of fan controller for the Mac Pro and Vista???
  • Reply 20 of 21
    That screams defective video card. The core is overheating for one reason or another.

Ask Apple if you can just bring the video card in.