640x480 H.264 on 5G?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
been using Handbrake to rip my dvds for my 5G 30GB ipod.

was doing 320x240 mpeg4 setting. does anyone know setting for H.264 @ 640x480 (due to 1.2 firmware updates) that will work? i'm trying the baseline profile x264 and an average bitrate of 400 (from mpeg4 settings), but the ipod doesnt seem to like them

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chirho

been using Handbrake to rip my dvds for my 5G 30GB ipod.

was doing 320x240 mpeg4 setting. does anyone know setting for H.264 @ 640x480 (due to 1.2 firmware updates) that will work? i'm trying the baseline profile x264 and an average bitrate of 400 (from mpeg4 settings), but the ipod doesnt seem to like them

the current version of Handbrake cannot encode in the slightly modified h.264 format the ipod uses for 640. it's reportedly being worked on. until then, only Quicktime Pro, iTunes, iSquint and Visual Hub can encode in this format. some people are choosing to rip a high quality file in handbrake and then using Quicktime or iTunes to reencode. others have found success using MacTheRipper and iSquint/VisualHub. personally, i'm just waiting for the updated Handbrake.

hope that helps...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    ARE YOU SERIOUS!! I've just spent days encoding videos in Handbrake and you're telling me they won't work in iPod video??? They play fine in iTunes but I don't have an iPod video yet to test them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by confirmed

the current version of Handbrake cannot encode in the slightly modified h.264 format the ipod uses for 640. it's reportedly being worked on. until then, only Quicktime Pro, iTunes, iSquint and Visual Hub can encode in this format. some people are choosing to rip a high quality file in handbrake and then using Quicktime or iTunes to reencode. others have found success using MacTheRipper and iSquint/VisualHub. personally, i'm just waiting for the updated Handbrake.

hope that helps...

• Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

ARE YOU SERIOUS!! I've just spent days encoding videos in Handbrake and you're telling me they won't work in iPod video??? They play fine in iTunes but I don't have an iPod video yet to test them.

THEY DONT PLAY OMG I WAS SO PISSED

I just used Handbrake and it doesnt play on the iPod. I came here looking for why. Guess I know =(

I'll use MacTheRipper + iSquint now.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stedwick View Post

THEY DONT PLAY OMG I WAS SO PISSED

I just used Handbrake and it doesnt play on the iPod. I came here looking for why. Guess I know =(

I'll use MacTheRipper + iSquint now.

I'd really recommend Visual Hub.

It has three settings -

iPod

iPod & TV (ie what you get on iTunes)

AppleTV (limited by what the Apple TV can do)

C.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Actually, I feel silly. Handbrake has now become MediaFork, and it works great!

(also, if VisualHub is anything like iSquint, I'm sure it's awesome)
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    i used handbrake the other day and it works fine on the standard settings. 1000kb per second. h.264. its all fine. 5G iPod 30gb
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Well, Handbrake has always worked with 320 by 240, but it didnt work with 640 by 480. Then MediaFork worked with 640 by 480.

And now, just a few days ago, the new handbrake came out and it DOES work with 640 by 480.

It's confusing because Handbrake and MediaFork have merged into one app, but they seem to be swapping names back and forth or something...