HELP!! AIRPORT NETWORKING

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have an ethernet network which consists of a DSL modem/router with four RJ45 connectors. I have an imac, ibook and G4 connected to three of them and the fourth via a crossover cable going to an ethernet hub (I can't get the hub to work, but that's another story)

I recently purchased an airport card for the ibook and an airport basestation. I plugged the basestation in to where the ibook used to be, followed the instructions and viola! I can use the ibook all over the house to surf the net and check my mail. Great. Amazing.

However, when I'm using airport, I can't connect to any Macs on the network!!! If I plug in an ethernet cable, change the TCP/IP and Appletalk settings to ethernet rather than airport I can see everyone... but with those two settings back to airport, I get an error saying that the servers I want to connect to don't exist!! Ack! What am I doing wrong???

[ 02-23-2002: Message edited by: Arbernaut ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Set your AirPort basestation to be a transparent bridge and have the router provide the IPs to the iBook.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    How do I do that (I have manual-avoidance syndrome)?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I don't have an AirPort set-up in front of me right now, but it should be under "Network" in the AirPort Admin Utility. Just uncheck the box that enables the base to distribute IP addresses.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    solosolo Posts: 89member
    I have a very similar setup. I have a dsl modem ,ethernet hub, and an airport that acts as my router. Do you have a static IP or do you have to dial up to get your IP? I have to dial up so I set my tibook (with airport card) to dial up. when it is connected then I did what the last guy said with the airport networking panel. Then you go to the computers that are connected through ethernet and set them to manual connection ----&gt; use all the info that the airport connected mac has except the ip which you want to give the same ip as the airport connected mac but change the last numbers (ex. 3.2.3. (somthing)). Give each computer a serparate (,something) between 1-50. Then they should work.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>I don't have an AirPort set-up in front of me right now, but it should be under "Network" in the AirPort Admin Utility. Just uncheck the box that enables the base to distribute IP addresses.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That worked perfectly! Many thanks! Another great day for manual avoidance!