Apple details Leopard's expanded Instant Message framework

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple is slowly publicizing some of Mac OS X Leopard's underlying features, most recently providing developers with an explanation of how the operating system's expanded Instant Message framework will allow them to access iChat 4.0 features from within their applications.

For example, Apple said the framework will allow developers to programatically determine through their own applications whether a specific instant message user is online, and start iChat theater sessions to share supporting video and audio content during a video conference.

"One of the powerful capabilities that the Instant Message framework gives you is the ability to determine if a contact in a user's buddy list is online or not. You can also get the Address Book data for that contact as well as other status information," the company wrote in a technology overview on its developer website. "This information is collectively referred to as 'presence.' And once you tap into this presence data, your application can be notified when information about a contact changes."

iChat Theater, a new feature of iChat due in Leopard, will also allow applications to present audio and video content during an iChat conference. For example, developer's applications can present a slide show, a video feed, or 3D graphics, complete with sound, to one or more conference participants. This is made possible through the IMAVManager class at the heart of iChat Theater, which encapsulates some of iChat's most advanced features in an Objective-C class.

"IMAVManager works with the other classes in the Instant Message framework to enable you to build sophisticated conferencing capabilities into your application," Apple said. "For example, you can use IMService to determine who is available to participate in a chat, and then use IMAVManager to setup and run the iChat Theater presentation."

In addition to the Instant Message framework, developers will also be able to access iChat's many features through AppleScript, performing such activities as initiating a video chat or responding to an iChat event.

"With Leopard, iChat's scripting dictionary has been expanded to include nearly all of the iChat operations you can perform interactively with a keyboard and mouse," Apple wrote. "You can access this scripting functionality either from an application or directly from an AppleScript."

For example, the company said, service, account, and chat classes help identify a chat participant by his or her screen name, on a particular service (such as AIM, Jabber, or Bonjour), and in a specific type of chat (text, audio, or video). "This allows for sophisticated, high-level application control over iChat. Your application might run a script that starts a chat. Or you might write a script for determining if a specific person is online. Or something in-between."

More details are available in the technology overview on Apple's developer site.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Tip of the iceberg I bet. I can't wait to see all the secret stuff

And no negative comments yet ... come on Trolls you are slow today
  • Reply 2 of 81
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    The biggest value in a program like iChat is compatibility over platforms and programs. We need interoperability with Skype! You can't ask windows friends to install AOL. They won't do it. It stinks anyway. Why not strike a deal with Skype while also adding more complete GTalk compatibility? If you could interoperate with other programs, and do more when you're communicating with anotherr Mac, that's fine. The value of a network is being able to communicate across it -- with anybody.
  • Reply 3 of 81
    dkoesdkoes Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

And no negative comments yet ... come on Trolls you are slow today

Okay... now if only iChat actually worked reliably across various network configurations and platforms...

Seriously, cross-platform video-conferencing has never "just" worked for me.
  • Reply 4 of 81
    They have to HAVE TO get iChat working with Microsoft's network -- both text AND FULL video. Until then, the dream is NOT fully realized -- no matter how kewl the iChat/AOL walled garden might ever get

(and no, hooking up to MSN through Jabber is a total PITA that NO "end-user" should be forced to go through)
  • Reply 5 of 81
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Tip of the iceberg I bet. I can't wait to see all the secret stuff )

Yeah, totally!!!!1!
  • Reply 6 of 81
    shanemshanem Posts: 18member
    Which is an excellent list of features for pro users to share with clients and colleagues. So why no iSight on MacPro? Also would be a good implementation of ati r600 gpu. I hope this happens soon so i can buy my MacPro. I need one so bad.
  • Reply 7 of 81
    ak1808ak1808 Posts: 108member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacDuff View Post

They have to HAVE TO get iChat working with Microsoft's network -- both text AND FULL video. Until then, the dream is NOT fully realized -- no matter how kewl the iChat/AOL walled garden might ever get

(and no, hooking up to MSN through Jabber is a total PITA that NO "end-user" should be forced to go through)

How about iChat for Windows bundled into iTunes, activated with your AppleID (same as on iTunes purchase) and ability to make iChat <-> iPhone calls [iPhone via WiFi]?

Why not establish your own IM network when you have such big beachheads in place already?
  • Reply 8 of 81
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dkoes View Post

Okay... now if only iChat actually worked reliably across various network configurations and platforms...

So use Skype. Cross-platform, and as reliable as it gets.
  • Reply 9 of 81
    johnnykrzjohnnykrz Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dkoes View Post

Seriously, I agree. I had better luck using MSN in Parallels for video conferencing (which was retchedly choppy on my MacBook) than trying to conference via AIM in iChat to a PC.
  • Reply 10 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

Seriously, I agree. I had better luck using MSN in Parallels for video conferencing (which was retchedly choppy on my MacBook) than trying to conference via AIM in iChat to a PC.

Ok, I have to also agree. iChat with a local Mac 10.4 Server fails as often as it works. I keep hoping that Apple will step up and deliver a quality IM solution.

They better fix this stuff before they worry about getting any Skype bridge working. I can only hope that all this work on the iChat framework willl make many of these bugs obvious so Apple can fix them.
  • Reply 11 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwoloszynski View Post

Ok, I have to also agree. iChat with a local Mac 10.4 Server fails as often as it works. I keep hoping that Apple will step up and deliver a quality IM solution.

They better fix this stuff before they worry about getting any Skype bridge working. I can only hope that all this work on the iChat framework willl make many of these bugs obvious so Apple can fix them.

Hmm... I found the iChat framework stable... Just remember that it is case sensitive on the server but not on some Windows clients... That drove me through the roof the first time I had to figure it out.

Those new features look pretty neat!
  • Reply 12 of 81
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    This doesn't sound very safe. A spyware program on your computer could get all your friends address details from address book and mail them to a spam company.

It could then open a chat with them that looks like it comes from you that says "Hey, double click this!" and it sends them an infected file.
  • Reply 13 of 81
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShaneM View Post

Which is an excellent list of features for pro users to share with clients and colleagues. So why no iSight on MacPro? Also would be a good implementation of ati r600 gpu. I hope this happens soon so i can buy my MacPro. I need one so bad.

Why no iSight? Because where would you put it? The Mac towers are just freaking big most people have them down on the floor under a desk (I'm afraid my desk would collapse under the weight of my G5 tower). On an apple monitor, possibly (then again, who wants to spend that kind of money after forking over $2500+ for a macpro?)

I can one use for an iSight enabled macpro. Maybe if you've got a foot fetish
  • Reply 14 of 81
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    [QUOTE=ShaneM;1073588So why no iSight on MacPro?[/QUOTE]

Why are people still asking this question?

Most Mac Pro's are not kept on the desk. My machines are under the desk.

Even in the rare desk mounted situation, the computer is well to the side of the person. That's not exactly useful.

I'm hoping the question was just a joke, but as so many people ask it, I wonder...
  • Reply 15 of 81
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShaneM View Post

This wouldn't be an issue if they still sold the original iSight or offered a replacement. You can still pull out any DV camcorder to do the job and be more flexible WRT zoom, focus and potentially color quality, though that might look a little awkward physically, depending on the camera.
  • Reply 16 of 81
    brianusbrianus Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Even in the rare desk mounted situation, the computer is well to the side of the person. That's not exactly useful.

I'm hoping the question was just a joke, but as so many people ask it, I wonder...

I think the gist of the question is, "why doesn't Apple provide an iSight solution for Mac Pro users?" -- I've never heard anyone literally wanting a camera mounted in a Mac Pro chassis. It seems pretty obvious they're going to have to provide upgraded displays with iSight eventually, either that or start selling the standalone cameras again. Cutting pro users out of videoconferencing is boneheaded.
  • Reply 17 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No, it's not a joke. However, you are interpreting it wrong.

It's not that we want the camera in the frickin tower, that is a dumb idea, but we want an option for an iSight... period. Apple kinda stopped selling them externally so those of us who bought a nice shiny Mac Pro can't do video conferencing like the cheapo MacBooks can.

We also got shafted out of the Apple remote, which makes for an awesome presentation tool for showing photo proofs or even for using iTunes while you work.

The pro customers got shafted. I had to scour eBay for an Apple product since they don't sell any form of external iSight anymore.
  • Reply 18 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EruIthildur View Post

Hmm... I found the iChat framework stable... Just remember that it is case sensitive on the server but not on some Windows clients... That drove me through the roof the first time I had to figure it out.

Those new features look pretty neat!

How do you use iChat? Via an iChat server or via Bonjour or to an AIM portal? I think this matters ALOT.

I have used it through AIM and that works fine. When using it with the iChat server on Mac Server, it is pretty unreliable. IM works, but video and audio chat are not reliable enough to support work-at-home folks through our firewall.
  • Reply 19 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwoloszynski View Post

How do you use iChat? Via an iChat server or via Bonjour or to an AIM portal? I think this matters ALOT.

I have used it through AIM and that works fine. When using it with the iChat server on Mac Server, it is pretty unreliable. IM works, but video and audio chat are not reliable enough to support work-at-home folks through our firewall.

Are you sure you have all of the ports open? IM and video use different ports. Some routers have firewalls that block them, as was the case with my dad.

EDIT: Sorry, you did say that it does work with AIM. Still, maybe there are other ports used for the Mac OS X Server video? Just tossing out ideas.
  • Reply 20 of 81
    artseartse Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

This wouldn't be an issue if they still sold the original iSight or offered a replacement. You can still pull out any DV camcorder to do the job and be more flexible WRT zoom, focus and potentially color quality, though that might look a little awkward physically, depending on the camera.

Therein lies the problem. Why did Apple stop selling the iSight. Every Mac Pro needs one. Aren't there enough Mac Pro owners who want to video chat/conference? I have one with the magnet mount stuck to a Dell monitor, works great.

What's up Apple, why no iSight, or replacement, anymore?