Another virtualisation software for Mac OS X hits beta. Price: FREE!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apr 23, 2007. innotek today released a beta version VirtualBox for OS X, bringing its highly successful open source virtualization package to the Apple Macintosh platform. OS X is the third major platform that VirtualBox supports and Mac users can now benefit from the most powerful and best performing virtualization software on the market with the ease of use which Macintosh users have come to expect. VirtualBox for OS X is also the first professional virtualization product that is available free of charge, marking the start of a new era on the the Mac platform. VirtualBox for OS X is based on a beta of the upcoming VirtualBox 1.4 and is expected to be completed in the 2nd quarter of 2007.

WOW! That was totally out of the blue. Though it is absolutely no match for Parallels right now, I'm sure they will be adding more features to it and improving the interface. And it is hard to beat the price.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aryayush View Post

WOW! That was totally out of the blue. Though it is absolutely no match for Parallels right now, I'm sure they will be adding more features to it and improving the interface. And it is hard to beat the price.

Odd, I don't remember hearing about it before from Windows or Linux users. I'm going to check it out and see if I can experiment with Vista.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    kingmekingme Posts: 70member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aryayush View Post

I agree that Parallels is AMAZING. It works and it works well.

And while free is a great price -- I hope it doesn't steal away a large part of the market Parallels owns. I appreciate good programming. Before long we won't have any real developers left in the Apple arena.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    I really need to mmove up and get an intel mac so I can play with these apps. Awesome find.