Apple details Leopard's expanded Instant Message framework

Comments

• Reply 41 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShaneM View Post

So why no iSight on MacPro?

coming soon to an upgraded line of displays near you....
  • Reply 42 of 81
    what a potential boon for users needing help with a program or feature, needing troubleshooting or product support...assuming anyone else thinks of it.
  • Reply 43 of 81
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theapplegenius View Post

I don't care about iChat. Gimme video support in Adium!

Ask Adium to write it.
  • Reply 44 of 81
    Well you can tell that WWDC is close. Details for developers are coming out.
  • Reply 45 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

We can only wonder why Apple decided to discontinue the isight camera itself. Perhaps it was no longer selling well enough to keep in the line. Perhaps the new displays are unexpectedly delayed, and we should have seen new ones already.

The iSight was discontinued because it did not meet the new lead requirements in Europe. Between the need to take it off the shelf, and the relatively small number of users who would by one (higher price, and built into the high volume computers), my guess is that it did not make sence spend the money to redisign the iSight.

That being said, I have been surprised that the Cinema Displays have not incorporated iSights.

Quote:

But this isn't such a big deal. There are plenty of other small cameras out there that will work. You really don't need an Apple solution.

Especially now that any camera that conforms to the UVC (USB video device class) will work with MacOS X (10.4.9).
  • Reply 46 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

This doesn't sound very safe. A spyware program on your computer could get all your friends address details from address book and mail them to a spam company.

It could then open a chat with them that looks like it comes from you that says "Hey, double click this!" and it sends them an infected file.

I have not looked into this ichat capability, but the ability to read the Address book has existed for a while. Not sure how you see it as different.
  • Reply 47 of 81
    shanemshanem Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious View Post

coming soon to an upgraded line of displays near you....

I hope so.... I'm sick of waiting only to be disappointed by apple this year.
  • Reply 48 of 81
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I dont think apple have the knowledge and resource to build up another huge IM network to complete with MSN yet. With the help of google getting enough servers and network bandwidth wouldn't be much of a problem if Apple do decide to release a Window version of ichat.

I also fail to see apple why is not releasing a Window Version of iChat with upcoming of iphone.
  • Reply 49 of 81
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karl Kuehn View Post

The iSight was discontinued because it did not meet the new lead requirements in Europe. Between the need to take it off the shelf, and the relatively small number of users who would by one (higher price, and built into the high volume computers), my guess is that it did not make sence spend the money to redisign the iSight.

That isn't an answer. The European market is not much bigger than 20% of Apple's total. Should they discontinue a product everywhere just because part of Europeans can't buy it? I don't think so.

Quote:

That being said, I have been surprised that the Cinema Displays have not incorporated iSights.

Either Apple won't be doing that, or they are waiting for something before they come out with new models. The 30" is too high for a convenient camera position. You would have your neck bent all of the time. doesn't mean they won't do it, but I'd hate to be staring up constantly.

Quote:

Especially now that any camera that conforms to the UVC (USB video device class) will work with MacOS X (10.4.9).

That's why I said that almost any camera will work. You don't need something from Apple.
  • Reply 50 of 81
    arnelarnel Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

I dont think apple have the knowledge and resource to build up another huge IM network to complete with MSN yet. With the help of google getting enough servers and network bandwidth wouldn't be much of a problem if Apple do decide to release a Window version of ichat.

I'm amongst those people that don't know anyone with an AIM address... I use MSN for chatting with friends, and Skype for video chats with my parents (who are on a PC). I love the idea and simplicity of iChat, and the Theatre looks like it could be amazing, but unless my friends and family are on a Mac (and *they* have enough friends on a Mac or AIM to use iChat as their main chat client), it isn't much use.

I'd love to see iChat functionality come to the AppleTV, with a USB iSight. That would get iChat into lots of people's homes, Mac or PC. I'm not sure if it has enough processor power to host a four-way chat according to the requirements on Apple's iChat page, but it certainly should be able to participate. How good would that be? Chatting to someone in their living room, and showing them photos on their big screen TV?
  • Reply 51 of 81
    666666 Posts: 134member
    If they write msn compatibility into it, maybe people might even use it! GASP!
  • Reply 52 of 81
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

That isn't an answer.

Sure it is, although it is more boldly presented than necessary. The new european standards are not his only point in his post. With all factors considered, and even if the european market does not exceeds much 20% of Apple's total as you say, the new regulation could have been proved a fatal strike to a marginal product. Of course I am not stating this like an authority, it is just plausible. Exact evidence is needed to tell for sure and only Apple really knows.
  • Reply 53 of 81
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Sure it is, although it is more boldly presented than necessary. The new european standards are not his only point in his post. With all factors considered, and even if the european market does not exceeds much 20% of Apple's total as you say, the new regulation could have been proved a fatal strike to a marginal product. Of course I am not stating this like an authority, it is just plausible. Exact evidence is needed to tell for sure and only Apple really knows.

The only thing I can think of is if there were parts not readily available in RoHS form with no adequate RoHS-compliant replacement. Whenever I looked at the cost of electronic parts, RoHS-compliant substitutions didn't cost any more than the old version. I think that it's more likely that the inclusion of iSight into nearly all the consumer models did more to reduce the demand than regulations did.

For me, it's kind of academic, I don't care that much other than to have another pretty toy, I don't see it being that useful otherwise. On the whole, video conferencing seems to be only a little more popular than video phones, and that hasn't taken the world by storm either.
  • Reply 54 of 81
    jidojido Posts: 125member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShaneM View Post

Which is an excellent list of features for pro users to share with clients and colleagues. So why no iSight on MacPro? Also would be a good implementation of ati r600 gpu. I hope this happens soon so i can buy my MacPro. I need one so bad.

The MacPro does not have a place to integrate the iSight.

With MacOS X 10.4.9, just use any Mac-compatible Logitech webcam. If the packaging does not say Mac compatible use macam.

There is no good solution to make iChat work with Windows unfortunately... At the moment Skype works well for cross-platform (except if you are using a stand-alone iSight, then get the latest Skype Beta).
  • Reply 55 of 81
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    Potentially cumbersome, complicated and bloated... but maybe not.

Just as iTunes has ben the QT trojan horse, iChat can be integrated into the app.

iPod and the the iPhone can be enhanced with chat messaging and full voIP to communicate with iTunes.

iTunes / iChat can save messages that can can be remotely accessed by iPhone. Conversations saved, iPone video clips saved sent.

Heck why not VPN from your iPhone via iTunes/ iChat as the gateway ...Just kidding, sort of.

etc.
  • Reply 56 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

From my own experience in that field, I don't see that as a real excuse. The iSight had proved to be a popular item, though with cameras in most of Apple's computers, its sales would have gone down.

That, I think would be the cause of its demise. RoHs could have been an excuse, at best, but not a real reason.

Going RoHs compliant would have been a minor affair. Just a matter of changing non-complying components for compliant ones, and the manufacturer making the changes in their manufacturing process that they would have had to make anyway. At most, there would have been a pause in manufacturing. So far, RoHs compliance has not proven to be a burden. Most RoHs components do not even cost more than the older non-compliant ones. In some cases, such as in the manufacture of circuit boards, it has actually proven to be cheaper, as in the earlier requirement here in the US to do away with certain cleaning solvents in the process.
  • Reply 57 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The only thing I can think of is if there were parts not readily available in RoHS form with no adequate RoHS-compliant replacement. Whenever I looked at the cost of electronic parts, RoHS-compliant substitutions didn't cost any more than the old version. I think that it's more likely that the inclusion of iSight into nearly all the consumer models did more to reduce the demand than regulations did.

For me, it's kind of academic, I don't care that much other than to have another pretty toy, I don't see it being that useful otherwise. On the whole, video conferencing seems to be only a little more popular than video phones, and that hasn't taken the world by storm either.

As far as I know, Apple hasn't given a reason for its discontinuance.

I have one, though my daughter stole it from me. It's a pretty good product, and I know several people who would buy one, even today.

After all, most people do not have an Apple product with a built-in camera just yet.
  • Reply 58 of 81
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    The iSights were pulled from all shelves in all stores in all regions. The only way to get one now is to pay 2 to 4x the retail price on eBay. I don't see how that equates to the EU ban as the cause. Wouldn't they have pulled them from the European shelves and sold the remaining stock in the other regions instead of halting sales altogether?

BTW, wasn't the EU ban of the iSight a couple months before they were pulled from American shelves?
  • Reply 59 of 81
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

As far as I know, Apple hasn't given a reason for its discontinuance.

I have one, though my daughter stole it from me. It's a pretty good product, and I know several people who would buy one, even today.

After all, most people do not have an Apple product with a built-in camera just yet.

I'll sell you one for $300 (free shipping). Hardly used, still in the box and with all original mounts.
  • Reply 60 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'll sell you one for $300 (free shipping). Hardly used, still in the box and with all original mounts.

Considering that I paid $139 for mine, no thanks.