Finale for OSX

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Any word on when Coda Music might release Finale for OSX? Will it be v.2002 or 2003? What about it's other great programs?

Any word on when this transition might begin?

Thanks!

---------------

RosettaStoned

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Coda is notorious for not saying anything about future releases until they're ready to take your money for them. Considering that's about once every year in the fall, there's always hope that this fall's release (if there is one, as there usually is) is OS X.

The denizen's of Coda's user/tech support forums tend to say "don't hold your breath," but no one really seems to know when holding one's breath would be doable.

Most folks are busy fretting over 2002's performance in Classic Mode (not terribly good, natch) and the unacceptableness of the current state of MIDI + X.

I'm with you on hoping that all finds itself fixed soon, though. The sooner the better.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    ...but of course, as soon as I said that, I stumbled across this oddly not-tight-lipped missive from a Coda Tech:

[quote]We are currently developing a Native OSX version of Finale that is fully carbonized.

This version will not be released prior to Finale 2003.

Coda Tech<hr></blockquote>

No idea if that means Finale 2003 is carbonized or if we're waiting until 2004.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    I'm currently learning how to put notes on paper in Music Theory. I can'tt wait to start writing on Finale 2003 or 2004, whichever is X-native.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by cdhostage:

<strong>I'm currently learning how to put notes on paper in Music Theory. I can'tt wait to start writing on Finale 2003 or 2004, whichever is X-native.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ah, Music Theory. It may seem like a lot of work, but once you get into Form & Analysis and Counterpoint, it will all come into place and be a lot more fun.

Honestly I think waiting to release Finale for OSX in 2003 is pretty pathetic. What were they doing all of 2001? Obviously they were working on screwing up Finale 2002 for OS9. That's too bad.

Note to CODA: If you're reading this, get your ASS in gear!!!

Has anyone here used Encore 4.5 for OSX? How does it compare? How much does it cost?? Thanks!

---------

RosettaStoned

[ 02-25-2002: Message edited by: RosettaStoned ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 6
    <a href="http://www.sibelius.com/dci"; target="_blank">http://www.sibelius.com/dci</a>;

ive heard that this is better than finale. they seem to like it at my old high school and the Illinois state university music department.

"Mac users can download a demo version of Sibelius 1.4. The Mac version of Sibelius 2 is expected to be released in the first quarter of 2002, and will be fully 'carbonized' for Mac OS 10.1."
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Sibelius v. Encore v. Finale will always come down to personal preference. If you've used Finale since version 1.0 (like me), Sibelius and Encore will never cut it. If you work with the music publishing industry (like me), you'll find Finale has a much stronger hold than the other two (though that's always dependant on the kind of publishing you're doing). If you work with complicated scores or need the expandability of writing plug-ins to help automate tedious things or simply need your application to allow you the detail-tweaking that music publishing standards require, you'll find that Sibelius falls extremely short. At least, I did.

To me, it's like saying, "Yeah, I could use Photoshop, but I'd rather just use MacPaint. It's so much easier." You're missing the boat, and those of us who make money creating printed music for people who don't know how to use Finale are happy to see you go. We'll be sending you a bill soon enough.

Sibelius Version 2 is better than 1.4, but it still ain't Finale. I'll take a slow upgrade time over a new program that doesn't do half of the things its marketing claims it will do any day. And that's still just an opinion.

If it lets you do what you want to do, you've found the software you want. If that's Finale, settle in, because you're in for years of waiting for upgrades without the slightest clue what's coming next until it's time to buy it. Almost without exception, I've been utterly pleased with what came next.