AT&T to market iPhone to business customers?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palex9 View Post

now att says they will market the iphone to business customers... instant proof that the top brass are a bunch of boneheads! sure, businesses will scramble to buy an overpriced phone with poor battery performance and unknown issues... steve, you will regret the day you decided to work with this outfit.

Do you think it might be possible that they might know a little bit more about the iPhone than you do?

overpriced? - businesses have the money to spend on phones and especially if a phone is critical to GTD

poor battery performance? - the phone isn't even out yet! Also most iPod owners already have car chargers and travel chargers for their iPod. Guess what? same dock connector!

unknown issues? - what is that, that doesn't count. everything has unknown issues, but guess what? How many phones will have dozens of websites dedicated to analyzing every tiny aspect of it? The iPhone will be examined with a fine-tooth comb by millions of passionate Apple customers. They will create websites, write blog entries, develop software solutions and hacks on an order of magnitude far beyond any other device.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    With regard to to replacing the battery, I have to agree with the analyst here. I tend to keep my phones for 2 - 3 years and I find that after about 12 - 18 months the battery life has dropped dramatically and I need to replace it. Maybe I am an oddball, but I would be very hesitant to purchase a mobile product where I can't buy a new battery and replace it. It would be acceptable for me to take it Apple or AT&T to have the battery replaced as long as they could do it while I wait.

Other than that, I do not see any obstacles to selling it to business users. I do not see large companies purchasing the iPhone for their employees, but this doesn't mean that the employees at these companies won't purchase it themselves. This often the way to force the company to support the new product, although it will take some time. If I recall correctly, this is how the Blackberry broke into the large corporate customers. Also, just because Apple says it is a closed system doesn't mean that it will stay that way forever.
  • Reply 23 of 60
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Exchange is not just email. Its meetings - that is the main reason for its Calendaring, Contacts, and so on. None of that works over IMAP. I'm a huge IMAP proponent (we write IMAP client software for mobile devices), but you have to have that full calendar, contact, task sync.
  • Reply 24 of 60
    I think the problem is the guy is so overboard as if he owns thousands of shares of Verizon & Palm he talks as if once he speaks, millions of companies will automatically line up behind him ... sure, there are lots of pre-judgment statements you could make about the iphone that may or may not ultimately true ... but to make giant position statements as if he knows all, unlikely ... you could easily argue that most apps being sold and loaded onto "smart" phones are merely replacement apps because the original are crappy - it'd be like asking Mac users why don't they buy a photo cataloging software - so why would you need a lot of third party apps? Or the fact the ipod is not really intended as an OS yet we have apps for the ipods, both sanctioned and unsantioned ... and yea, the battery thing puzzles me - perhaps since RIM users are told to remove the battery for a reset, he cannot conceive of how to reset the iphone? Just like there's no ALT key on the Mac so how could you possibly reset it? Maybe he figures since THurott & Dvorak have made a living on taking wild positions with no basis in fact, he might as well?
  • Reply 25 of 60
    For the people who are saying that they wouldn't need to change their battery, you're probably not a business user.
  • Reply 26 of 60
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Analysts. Don't you love 'em? Always trying to make past paradigms fit existing phenomena and predict future ones. Otherwise they wouldn't be 'analytical', right?

The iPhone will sell in bucketloads to consumers, including people who are in 'business'. Demand will grow for systems integration. Somebody will eventually provide it. Apple doesn't give a shit about pandering to 'the Enterprise' - too many compromises that ruin the Apple consumer brand. If the Mountain comes to Mohammed however then that's cool.

The Apple ethos with flagship products, iMac, iPod, iPhone; is to transcend the existing market and create new uncontested ones. Blue Sky/Blue Ocean etc.

They succeed or they fail but to suggest certain compromises for business users is to completely miss the point; a popular pastime of analysts.
  • Reply 27 of 60
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

For the people who are saying that they wouldn't need to change their battery, you're probably not a business user.

I have been, and my phone was always replaced long before the battery started failing.
  • Reply 28 of 60
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    They said "business"... I'd agree that small and medium-sized businesses will flock to iPhone. Big, big businesses may not.
  • Reply 29 of 60
    palex9palex9 Posts: 105member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

They said "business"... I'd agree that small and medium-sized businesses will flock to iPhone. Big, big businesses may not.

i have my own company and have several friends with companies in the 10-100 employee range. none of them is currently considering the iphone. what for? the blackberry does exactly what these people need, at half the price of the iphone...
  • Reply 30 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palex9 View Post

i have my own company and have several friends with companies in the 10-100 employee range. none of them is currently considering the iphone. what for? the blackberry does exactly what these people need, at half the price of the iphone...

I recall friends saying the same thing back in 2002.

"I don't need an iPod. My Rio does everything I need for half the price."

They said this because they didn't really understand what an iPod was.

I suspect that most people who are dismissive of the iPhone don't really understand what it is.
  • Reply 31 of 60
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    How many people remove the battery from their laptops? Apple should start making all their laptop computers with no user replaceable battery.
  • Reply 32 of 60
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Don't most cellphones have voice dialing? Isn't it a safe bet that Apple will offer something jsut as easy, if not easier?

Maybe, but they haven't said anything about it.

Quote:

3) Tiger's Mail can already do Exchange via IMAP, but isn't Leopard's Mail suppose to do Exchange directly? This will go a long way in determining if the iPhone is worthwhile for many companies.

I don't think so. There have been some rumors to that effect (there always are) but none of the builds show it. In addition, it seems that rather than trying to improve Macs as Exchange clients, Apple is going after the Exchange server with Leopard.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

How many people remove the battery from their laptops? Apple should start making all their laptop computers with no user replaceable battery.

They said the same thing about the iPod "You can't replace the battery".

But where there is a need there are entrepreneurs ready to fill it.

You can buy a replacement battery for most iPods and you WILL be able to get the battery replaced in an iPhone.

An easily replaceable battery adds bulk to the design.

By opting for a hard to replace battery, the iPhone is a slimmer and more elegant design.

This is the right choice because the vast majority of users rarely swap batteries.
  • Reply 34 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I recall friends saying the same thing back in 2002.

"I don't need an iPod. My Rio does everything I need for half the price."

They said this because they didn't really understand what an iPod was.

I suspect that most people who are dismissive of the iPhone don't really understand what it is.

you are missing the whole point! we are talking about business usage of a telephone here. a ipod or rio is something you use privately. and i am not implying that privte individuals will not "flock" to buy it....

BUT

i just saw a german program that studied the use of cell phones by european teens. turns out that the 2 major things they did was talk (what a concept) and text message. mp3/photo whatever was only being used by 10-20% of those that had phones WITH those capabilities. so steve might be betting the farm on a gadget that might just be too much for too few.
  • Reply 35 of 60
    wnursewnurse Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gee4orce View Post

How many people actually take the battery out of their phones ? Really ? I've never done this. Ever. Except to remove the SIM card that's underneath.

I have, many, many times. Funny thing about batteries.. they go dead (like when you are traveling on an airplane while using your phone pda functions and you do not have access to a charging unit)..

Also when using your phone as a modem for your laptop when you are in areas where wi-fi is not available (i guess i can splurge extra for the mobile card for laptop from sprint and the service plan)..

Also, when needing to reset the pda (my palm for example is never really of. Can be annonying when you want to reset).

I am sure i am just scratching the surface.. i am sure some people carry extra batteries for thier cell (example, they are in an airport and their batteries run dry... i once had to find an outlet and charge my phone in an airport.. very ackward as the outlet was not in an obvious location and i had to put my phone on the floor next to the outlet).

Yeah, a business would definetly want to be able to remove the battery.
  • Reply 36 of 60
    wnursewnurse Posts: 427member
    Quote:

1) Don't most cellphones have voice dialing? Isn't it a safe bet that Apple will offer something jsut as easy, if not easier?

2) Who replaces their cellphone batteries? i've never done it! This is the most idiotic reason to not by an Apple product and yet it's repeated constantly. Since the iPhone uses the 30-pin iPod connector you can simply purchase one of the many battery extenders without having to take your phone apart or turn it off.

3) Tiger's Mail can already do Exchange via IMAP, but isn't Leopard's Mail suppose to do Exchange directly? This will go a long way in determining if the iPhone is worthwhile for many companies.

1. Voice dialing sucks. If apple can make it work, they should license it to everyone.. that will make them billions. Wonder, would you be able to change the functions of the phone via voice?.. you know, one minute it displays controls for MP3 player, next minute you want to change it to display controls for a phone or maybe address book.. what do you say.. "phone, lookup tom"?. Or how about this "phone, look up appointment for sarah next week?". Everyone that has posted on this topic in this forum is looking at the problem from a consumer standpoint. How exactly does one do all these things via voice?. Voice dialing (which sucks as far as i am concerned) is just one component.

2. I do, i do!!. Just cause you never do it does not mean others wouldn't. See my previous post.

3. I think they were talking about corporate specific programs, not just email. You'd be amazed what you can do on a PDA (i have a friend who has a company that develops pda apps.. amazing stuff.. makes email on PDA seems stone age).
  • Reply 37 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wnurse View Post

1. Voice dialing sucks. .

i have fonix voicedial on my sprint pda phone and it works great. unless you are in a really noisy environment it gets it right the first time almost always, and you can say CALL TOM MOBILE or DIAL 800-555-1212
  • Reply 38 of 60
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Mail in 10.4 already supports Exchange through IMAP. ...

True, but that was MacOS X 10.3. With MacOS X 10.4, Mail also supports Exchange via Exchange. If it works, the Mail works better than Microsoft's own POS Entourage 2004, the first version of Microsoft's title to support Exchange via Exchange. Also, iCal supports Exchange calendaring and Address Book supports Exchange contacts. Unfortunately, Exchange is a moving target. If Leopard Mail/Address Book/iCal gets a better handle on Exchange, then I will be very happy. To claim that Leopard will be the first version of MacOS X to support Exchange, however, is just plain wrong.
  • Reply 39 of 60
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It will sell regardless of how they market it at this stage IMO.
  • Reply 40 of 60
    yakkowyakkow Posts: 18member
    I use voice dialing on my RAZR all the time. Personally, I don't think you should be fiddling with the buttons while you're driving anyway.

The battery could be an issue, though, depending on how Apple handles battery replacements.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rabber View Post

I tend to keep my phones for 2 - 3 years and I find that after about 12 - 18 months the battery life has dropped dramatically and I need to replace it. Maybe I am an oddball, but I would be very hesitant to purchase a mobile product where I can't buy a new battery and replace it. It would be acceptable for me to take it Apple or AT&T to have the battery replaced as long as they could do it while I wait.

I agree. I've had my RAZR less than a year and a half, and the battery has already deteriorated so much that the phone is practically useless. (I charge it all night, but it dies during my second call of the day.) As a result, yesterday I had to purchase a replacement battery.

All rechargeable batteries have a limited lifespan. So there needs to be a simple, cost-effective way to get a replacement battery in your phone. If you're spending hundreds of dollars on a phone, you're not going to want to have to throw it out after a year because it no longer holds enough charge.

As long as Apple provides a simple and inexpensive way for me to get the battery replaced while I wait, I don't mind not being able to do it myself. But if it's too expensive or I'm going to have to leave my phone with someone for a day to get the repair done, that would be a major downside for me as a business customer.