Survey Says: Blu-Ray

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    If you guys want to talk about HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray they might as well just merge this thread into the other one because this is the same conversation, and same old arguments that have been going on in the other thread for months. So Decide what this is about here, or it's going to be moved. IMO we don't need two threads on the exact same subject with the exact same arguments.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

And still people are buying more BDs \

Yes ..not a surprise since BD has been the heir apparent since it's announcement. You cannot beat Sony and friends without much work. HD DVD still hasn't assured its mutual survival.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Given that you make this statment as a way to defend your stance on HD-DVD and in doing so, imply that Apple does support HD-DVD in a shipping product, Please do enlighten us as what exactly it is that Apple ships in terms of HD-DVD?

DVD Studio Pro 4 delivers "basic" HD DVD authoring. You can deliver HD content on red laser DVD in MPEG2 and h.264 codecs and mux your project with Compressor. You can target a SL disc size of 15GB and then save that to DLT if you need the space since HD DVD burners aren't due until this summer. The missing features are still numerous IMO. No AACS support or HDi interactivity. DVD SP 5 will likely add this along with Blu-ray support.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

link?

If you mean this

Link

then it is funny how Blu-ray is in there as well, running counter to the argument made by hmurchison, yet he proclaims to not be a fanboy.

Walter go read my post again. I specifically qualified my statement by saying "Shipping" product. Blu-ray support stems from Compressor 3 output. . I've always stated that I'm a HD DVD supporter who will eventually do what is necessary to have full access to movies. I'm not perfect but I like to think that a majority of what I post is not intended to misinform. Sure I reserve a portion of my posting to raz guys I've chatted with for years like Marzetta7, Kolchak and others. Its fun..every now and then we get annoyed with each other but truth is I don't own Toshiba stock so whether they survive or not is wholly up to them. BTW ...welcome to the boards. I hope you contribute more. I'm sure we'll agree on far more things that we disagree

Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

If you guys want to talk about HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray they might as well just merge this thread into the other one because this is the same conversation, and same old arguments that have been going on in the other thread for months. So Decide what this is about here, or it's going to be moved. IMO we don't need two threads on the exact same subject with the exact same arguments.

Yes understood but this thread is based off of an article that doesn't really delve into the specification of Blu-ray but rather states blah blah x amount of sales....blah blah consumers choice. Or something like that.

I mean really how many people actually give a flying fudge about Blu-ray. Most only discuss the format on the most basic of levels. Storage. Studio Support.

Gets pretty boring pretty fast.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Liteon- HD DVD player coming

Shinco- HD DVD player coming

Venturer- HD DVD player coming

This reminds me of Bush's "Coalition of the willing"...
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

This reminds me of Bush's "Coalition of the willing"...

How so? I simply cannot bear listening to Bush speak so I'm wholly unfamiliar with this.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

How so? I simply cannot bear listening to Bush speak so I'm wholly unfamiliar with this.

He listed a bunch of countries who supported the war, most of which were insignificant.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

He listed a bunch of countries who supported the war, most of which were insignificant.

Interesting. Not quite appropriate in this scenario. Lite-on is an important vendor for both platforms as they do a huge amount of optical drive business.

I don't rule out the Chinese companies either. For every Pioneer/Panasonic/Sony DVD delivered the Chinese brands have sold 5.

Truth is I expected the BDA to pick up more partners but in fact they have lost the exclusivity of LG and Samsung