Well?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    w00t! i7 0wnz j00.

• Reply 2 of 18
    It's a new game for pre-teen boys.

pepper
  • Reply 3 of 18
    I always thought is was "woo" with a t added in. Don't know though, I am too afraid to ask because I ph33r all of those l33t hax0rs
  • Reply 4 of 18
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    the only written explanation i've ever read said the following.

"w00t belongs to gamers the world over. It seems to have been derived from the obselete 'whoot' which essentially is another way to say 'hoot' which itself is a shout or derisive laugh. But others maintain that w00t is the sound several players make while jumping like bunnies in Quake III. Fiction or fact? You decide... "

<a href="http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/apparel/38e7.shtml"; target="_blank">w00t! T-shirt.</a>

-alcimedes
  • Reply 5 of 18
    'w00t' is something you say when you've accomplished something great or when something great happens.

For example, if Apple announced a 10 GHz G5 while I was in #MacNN chatting today, our conversation would go something like this.

[quote]&lt;MacAgent&gt; w00t! 10 GHz G5!!

&lt;EveryoneElse&gt; w00t!!!

<hr></blockquote>

• Reply 6 of 18
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    actually the word is f00t!

i guess you have to be a gamer? or just an internet junkie

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: janitor ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 18
    This is hardly software but...

I always assumed that it came from when you see a rocket coming your way of of a sudden and jab strafe left (or right) and jump, while making an involuntary whew (like fewf).

Of course Ive heard a million different origins, som say that it was from combining woohoo and hoot

woohoot!

woot!

Then the damn 1337 k1dz go their hands on it and it became w00t!

With me its become a joke thing (I first heard it about 2 months ago), mocking the internet community by saying w00t!
  • Reply 8 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by janitor:

<strong>actually the word is f00t!

i guess you have to be a gamer? or just an internet junkie

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: janitor ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

i just had a really funny picture of 'janitor' as an actual janitor at UCSB. you know, walking around all quiet, keeping low during the day. then once professors leave, and it quiets down, he drops the mop, let's himself into the server room, and goes crazy...

:eek:
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Yeah, I've always said it 'woot'. I just never felt like I was 'cool' enough to spell it: w00t
  • Reply 10 of 18
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    how about 'teh suck', or 'teh win'?

Ars-speak at its most incomprehensible...

-r0b0
  • Reply 11 of 18
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    w00t!

Jeff<a href="http://www.somethingawful.com/jeffk/"; target="_blank">K r00ls te</a>h intarweb!
  • Reply 12 of 18
    eskimoeskimo Posts: 474member
    [quote]An exclamation of agreement and/or happiness. Usually used by a younger crowd, script kiddies and people who play EverQuest. Sometimes used to denote victory.

This word originates from a mangling of the interjective Woo (which itself came from Whew). Its popularity began to rise with the prominence of online multiplayer games--in particular, online role-playing games such as EverQuest. This is probably as a result of the phenomenon of online communication morphing words to create strong statements that are easy to type. See also -- grok, blorf?, editors, feel free to add some other new-age jargon that have interesting roots

W00t is the lamer? version of woot. In the language of the lamers, certain letters are replaced with numerals or mathematical symbols to create an elitist alphabet. W00+ is also a lamer variation of woot.

<hr></blockquote>

That's an acceptable definition although their crediting EverQuest with the expression is higly dubious since the online Quake community was using the expression w00t long before. Besides being used an exclamation an alternative use of the term is as a question, as in saying 'what?'.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    lol, just check out Eskimo's sig.

ph34r teh 1337! w00t!
  • Reply 14 of 18
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by concentricity:

<strong>

i just had a really funny picture of 'janitor' as an actual janitor at UCSB. you know, walking around all quiet, keeping low during the day. then once professors leave, and it quiets down, he drops the mop, let's himself into the server room, and goes crazy...

:eek: </strong><hr></blockquote>

funny story- i became a janitor after i got the name. i'm not a full time janitor, i'm a student of course, but part time i work for my dorm as a janitor... i've been using the name janitor for going on 4 years now... heh. maybe ill take some psych classes to explain how my brain did that one.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I want a shirt that says

USB
  • Reply 16 of 18
    For a Shakespearean use of the word "w00t" check out:

<a href="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/romeoandjuliet.html"; target="_blank">http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/romeoandjuliet.html</a>;

as my friend said, "slow in the intro, but g3tz b3773r ..."
  • Reply 17 of 18
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    "a result of the phenomenon of online communication morphing words to create strong statements that are easy to type. See also -- grok"

What the... ???

'grok' comes from Robert Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land, published in 1961, just a *FEW* years before ArpaNet first appeared...

Jeez, kids these days.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    thoth2thoth2 Posts: 277member
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>w00t!

Jeff<a href="http://www.somethingawful.com/jeffk/"; target="_blank">K r00ls te</a>h intarweb!</strong><hr></blockquote>

What in the hell is that? That guy is bent. Blorf(!) indeed.

BTW, while we're on the subject, what's r0X0rS

anyway?

Thoth