Cingular's smartphone sales dip ahead of iPhone

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 39
    The fact that Macs, AppleTVs, iPods and iPhones will all be based on OS X, should allow Apple to reduce their development costs and allow for rapid updates.



    The iPhone and AppleTV are both debuting at a high price point and both have room for future price cuts without sacrificing margin. Also as production ramps up Apple should be able to secure better component pricing. This will be especially true as the 6G iPod is based on iPhone tech.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    All this talk about stocks, double-baggers (price going from 100 to 200) and splits. Yeech.



    1. Yes if you put 5,000 into a stock and that stocks price doubles you will indeed have 10,000



    2. Yes if a stock splits 2:1 you get 2 shares for every share you own. So if you had 100 shares you'd now have 200. The flip side of the coin is each share you have is worth half as much as it was worth just prior to the split.



    3. The reality is... the percentage of stocks that become a double-bagger is very small or if it does it can take years to happen.



    Finally...



    If you take $5000 to your local indian casino and put it all on RED or BLACK you have nearly a 50% chance of doubling your money (in seconds no less). Dare I say a better chance then you'd have by trying to pick a double-bagger.



    Dave
  • Reply 23 of 39
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post


    All this talk about stocks, double-baggers (price going from 100 to 200) and splits. Yeech.



    1. Yes if you put 5,000 into a stock and that stocks price doubles you will indeed have 10,000



    2. Yes if a stock splits 2:1 you get 2 shares for every share you own. So if you had 100 shares you'd now have 200. The flip side of the coin is each share you have is worth half as much as it was worth just prior to the split.



    3. The reality is... the percentage of stocks that become a double-bagger is very small or if it does it can take years to happen.



    Finally...



    If you take $5000 to your local indian casino and put it all on RED or BLACK you have nearly a 50% chance of doubling your money (in seconds no less). Dare I say a better chance then you'd have by trying to pick a double-bagger.



    Dave



    Pretty good, except for the implication that each share being worth half is bad. It doesn't matter at all.



    As for the double bagger, if you pick a good company, and stick with it, over time it will very likely become a double bagger.



    That's more then can be said for the casino option.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    irelandireland Posts: 17,793member
    Quote:

    Cingular's smartphone sales dip ahead of iPhone.



    No shit.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Pretty good, except for the implication that each share being worth half is bad. It doesn't matter at all.



    As for the double bagger, if you pick a good company, and stick with it, over time it will very likely become a double bagger.



    That's more then can be said for the casino option.



    very true. also, let's not forget the human element when it comes to the stock market. a stock split is usually an indication that a company has confidence in the growth of their market valuation. if apple were to announce a stock split i'd imagine it would go up quite a bit again just like it did the last two times. i think a stock split is not really a zero-sum game because people will buy it just because they think something is up. once the stock reaches a lower-limit it'll just stay there.



    i think apple is leaving the stock price a bit higher right now to shake out some of the speculators who make the price jump around like crazy for no reason. it feels like they're pulling a bit of a berkshire-hathaway here and trying to get the stock to settle down a bit. not to mention they probably wanted to avoid all appearance of tomfoolery with the options backdating stuff going on.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    dkriebdkrieb Posts: 10member
    Don't try to time the market or you will lose. Buy and hold on good growth stocks - don't follow the crowd.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    That's more then can be said for the casino option.



    Yea but the casino option comes will tall leggy half clothed women bearing copious amounts of libations... And that's far more than can be said for the market.



    Dave
  • Reply 28 of 39
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admactanium View Post


    very true. also, let's not forget the human element when it comes to the stock market. a stock split is usually an indication that a company has confidence in the growth of their market valuation.



    Tell that to Warren Buffett... Berkshire Hathaway hasn't split since Buffett stepped in (40+ years ago) and now the 'A shares' are over $100,000.00 each (yep you read that right) and while it's still too early to tell Google looks to be going with the 'no-splits' strategy too. But yes, the majority feel that once a stock hits tripple digits some (potential) investors will be scared away by the price and brining it back down to the 30s - 50s is usually a good long-term move.



    Dave
  • Reply 29 of 39
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post


    Tell that to Warren Buffett... Berkshire Hathaway hasn't split since Buffett stepped in (40+ years ago) and now the 'A shares' are over $100,000.00 each (yep you read that right) and while it's still too early to tell Google looks to be going with the 'no-splits' strategy too. But yes, the majority feel that once a stock hits tripple digits some (potential) investors will be scared away by the price and brining it back down to the 30s - 50s is usually a good long-term move.



    It shouldn't mean anything, but I think there is a psychology there too.



    There's nothing like the small investor seeing his share fraction having several leading zeros.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    It shouldn't mean anything, but I think there is a psychology there too.



    There's nothing like the small investor seeing his share fraction having several leading zeros.



    too true... a 5,000.00 investment buys ya what, 0.05 shares?
  • Reply 31 of 39
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    You father SHOULD ABSOLUTELY NOT BE PUTTING $5,000 into Apple at this time. That is the STUPIDEST Financial move he could make.



    1) Don't invest when a stock/company are doing really, really well.

    2) Invest when it's on a downward trend.



    I have over 1.4million in Apple stock, and I could invest more, but I'm sure as hell not going to. Tell your dad to invest in something that will hold it's price for the long term. Playing with his savings on a stock that already is VERY high is stupid.



    The old line, "buy low/ sell high" applies.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post


    First!



    This is great news. My dad is planning on putting 5000 (his savings) into Apple Stock.



    I heard recently that the stock market is like sex in high school. Nobody knows anything about it, but everybody talks about it like they're experts.



    So, just to make sure that I'm clear here. If you have 5000 in Apple, bought at 100. It goes up to 200. You now have 10,000 dollars?



    Also, if have 5000 bought at 100, that means you have 50 shares. So if the stock splits, and its at 50 dollars, you now have 100 shares?



  • Reply 32 of 39
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post


    Yea but the casino option comes will tall leggy half clothed women bearing copious amounts of libations... And that's far more than can be said for the market.



    Dave



    Not true!



    It all depends on how much money you are showing.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    And another thing. Cingular's sales HAVE NOT dipped. It said that according to a 3rd party, they 'heard' Cingular is expecting them to dip. This in NO WAY relates to them actually dipping.



    Wait and see.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post


    Tell that to Warren Buffett... Berkshire Hathaway hasn't split since Buffett stepped in (40+ years ago) and now the 'A shares' are over $100,000.00 each (yep you read that right) and while it's still too early to tell Google looks to be going with the 'no-splits' strategy too. But yes, the majority feel that once a stock hits tripple digits some (potential) investors will be scared away by the price and brining it back down to the 30s - 50s is usually a good long-term move.



    Dave



    Don't go by BH. They don't allow small investors in at all. The high price is not a deterrent to those who can afford to invest.



    We'll see with Google, so far they are worth much more than they are, uh, worth.



    When Apple split in the late '90's, when I owned it back then, before selling it in early '99, it was at $150. When I bought it back sometime in 2003, I think it was, it was $16.93. They didn't wait for it to reach $150 before it split again.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail View Post


    You father SHOULD ABSOLUTELY NOT BE PUTTING $5,000 into Apple at this time. That is the STUPIDEST Financial move he could make.



    1) Don't invest when a stock/company are doing really, really well.

    2) Invest when it's on a downward trend.



    I have over 1.4million in Apple stock, and I could invest more, but I'm sure as hell not going to. Tell your dad to invest in something that will hold it's price for the long term. Playing with his savings on a stock that already is VERY high is stupid.



    The old line, "buy low/ sell high" applies.



    good advice. i wouldn't put all of my father's savings into any stock unless i knew as an absolute certainty that it was going to go up in the future. i'm sorry, but if $5000 is his life savings, the swings in apple's stock price could cause him some serious grief.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post


    Tell that to Warren Buffett... Berkshire Hathaway hasn't split since Buffett stepped in (40+ years ago) and now the 'A shares' are over $100,000.00 each (yep you read that right) and while it's still too early to tell Google looks to be going with the 'no-splits' strategy too. But yes, the majority feel that once a stock hits tripple digits some (potential) investors will be scared away by the price and brining it back down to the 30s - 50s is usually a good long-term move.



    Dave



    yes, i'm familiar with bh. i mentioned it in my post. i didn't say that all companies that have confidence in the future of their valuation split their stock. i said it was an indication that the company was comfortable about their future valuation.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post


    Yah, I just noticed my math error there.



    Well, in my dad's case, he's already 60. If he puts in 5000 now, in 5 years, if he chooses to retire. I highly doubt the price will be lower then than it is now. And I'm sure that even if the profit would be small, it's probably better than the interest he would get by leaving it in Savings, (like 2%)



    And BTW- He also has a retirement account elsewhere, so it's not *all* his eggs in one basket



    Well, the problem lies in "highly doubting". With the market, everything is subject to great changes. The market crash in 2000/1? happened in a day, and my Apple stock lost 50% of its value, then another 25% dip over a few months . I had to wait 3 years for it to recover, which it fortunately did. My Sun stock, on the other hand, went from being at $100 to an obscenely low amount. It never recovered and I sold it for about $6. Any money put in the stock market is like gambling. If another 9/11 happens, or someone dies, or natural/political disasters happen, that money is gone. Your only consolation is that you can write it off on your taxes. So just make sure whatever you gamble is something you don't mind losing.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,422member
    for those of you who are NOT getting an iphone this year what else are you considering.....in other words whats #2?
  • Reply 38 of 39
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post


    for those of you who are NOT getting an iphone this year what else are you considering.....in other words whats #2?



    Sticking with Sprint and my Treo 700p until I know if (or when) the iPhone will do what I want.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post


    for those of you who are NOT getting an iphone this year what else are you considering.....in other words whats #2?



    I already have a working Tapwave and a phone. I don't need to carry both all the time.
Sign In or Register to comment.