MBP roadmap: the next 2 iterations

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    thanks for the contributions and sorry if i misrepresented anyone (onlooker!) along the way...

recapping:

CPU:

May 07 Santa Rosa. 2.4-2.6 Ghz.

advantages over Yonah?

Q1 08 Penryn c.2.4+

Advantages over Santa Rosa? 800mhz fsb, faster encoding, ...

GPU: you guys know best, i'm just cutting and pasting on this one. but i think it is safer to assume that apple will, as usual, be conservative in this area (considering size limitations etc of the MBP).

higher end possibles: GeForce Go 8600, NVIDIA Quadro FX 3500M, GeForce Go 7950 GTX

lower end (realistic?) possiblity : GeForce Go 7800

Optical Drive:

may 07: most likely current DL superdrive considering apple isn't quite up to fully supporting HiDef in its pro apps (namely DVDSP).

Q1 08: perhaps they will include a HiDef burner of some description. combo drives of various descriptions are out (Ricoh, LG) but obviously have to come down in size. yet i can't see apple putting in a single format drive at this stage of the B-R/HD tussle.

HDD:

nothing revolutionary in the next couple of iterations, most likely. perhaps a flash memory component, which is one of the features of Santa Rosa.

Screen Technology:

backlit LED is possible for the next release, if not you would think would be definitely in a Q1 08 MBP... if they release an MBP pre-Leopard, as expected/hoped for, one would think it would be able to take advantage of resolution independence in Leopard (which will follow only a few months after...)

along with GPUs, screens seem to attact the most criticism on the boards...

Connectivity:

no takers here...

Case/Design:

too hard to call! case for mostly revolves around freshening up the look. as virtualmark said, perhaps some minor tweaks. i wouldn't mind a black MBP
  • Reply 22 of 32
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

CPU:

May 07 Santa Rosa. 2.4-2.6 Ghz.

advantages over Yonah?

Q1 08 Penryn c.2.4+

Advantages over Santa Rosa? 800mhz fsb, faster encoding, ...

Oops, you seem to be really quite confused here:

Some of those codenames are CPU codenames, one of them is a chipset codename.

Here's everything you need to know:

"Yonah" is the codename of the first mobile Core Duo chips, which were essentially dual-core Pentium-Ms with minor tweaks.

"Merom" is the codename of the mobile Core 2 Duo, which was the first mobile chip with the "Core" micro-architecture, giving up to 20% higher performance and the same clock speed as Yonah. Merom is what we've got now in the MacBook, MacBook Pro and iMac.

"Penryn" is the codename for Core 2 Duo made on the next-generation manufacturing process. Desktop-class chips are coming at the end of this year, mobile chips early next year. They will be made on a 45 nm process, which will enable slightly higher clock speeds, and provide for larger LII caches (6 MB rather than 4). They will also use "high-k" silicon, which will improve power efficiency. They will also introduce SSE4, a significant upgrade to SSE which will provide substantial improvements to applications that are specially coded for it.

"Santa Rosa" is the codename for the next Centrino platform, which is due any time now. It will increase the bus speed to 800 MHz, introduce variable-clock-speed bus, allowing it to be throttled down to save energy. It will also introduce the X3000 integrated graphics core, a significant upgrade over the GMA950 the MacBook has now. Strictly speaking, Apple doesn't use the Centrino platform, because they don't use Intel's wireless networking chips. However, people use "Santa Rosa" because it's easier to remember than "Intel Mobile 965 Express chipset", which is the sub-component of the Santa Rosa platform that Apple will actually be using.

To recap the situation for the MacBook Pro:

Right now, we have Merom CPUs with the core motherboard chipset from the "Napa" Centrino platform.

In May/June, we will see an upgrade which will give us the motherboard chipset from Santa Rosa. The CPU will remain Merom. This will boost the max. bus speed to 800 MHz, and hopefully reduce overall power consumption a little bit.

Early next year, we will see an upgrade to Penryn CPUs. The motherboard chipset will remain that from Santa Rosa. Penryn will deliver marginally higher clock speeds, SSE4 and significant power savings.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Oops, you seem to be really quite confused here:

Some of those codenames are CPU codenames, one of them is a chipset codename.

Here's everything you need to know:

"Yonah" is the codename of the first mobile Core Duo chips, which were essentially dual-core Pentium-Ms with minor tweaks.

"Merom" is the codename of the mobile Core 2 Duo, which was the first mobile chip with the "Core" micro-architecture, giving up to 20% higher performance and the same clock speed as Yonah. Merom is what we've got now in the MacBook, MacBook Pro and iMac.

"Penryn" is the codename for Core 2 Duo made on the next-generation manufacturing process. Desktop-class chips are coming at the end of this year, mobile chips early next year. They will be made on a 45 nm process, which will enable slightly higher clock speeds, and provide for larger LII caches (6 MB rather than 4). They will also use "high-k" silicon, which will improve power efficiency. They will also introduce SSE4, a significant upgrade to SSE which will provide substantial improvements to applications that are specially coded for it.

"Santa Rosa" is the codename for the next Centrino platform, which is due any time now. It will increase the bus speed to 800 MHz, introduce variable-clock-speed bus, allowing it to be throttled down to save energy. It will also introduce the X3000 integrated graphics core, a significant upgrade over the GMA950 the MacBook has now. Strictly speaking, Apple doesn't use the Centrino platform, because they don't use Intel's wireless networking chips. However, people use "Santa Rosa" because it's easier to remember than "Intel Mobile 965 Express chipset", which is the sub-component of the Santa Rosa platform that Apple will actually be using.

To recap the situation for the MacBook Pro:

Right now, we have Merom CPUs with the core motherboard chipset from the "Napa" Centrino platform.

In May/June, we will see an upgrade which will give us the motherboard chipset from Santa Rosa. The CPU will remain Merom. This will boost the max. bus speed to 800 MHz, and hopefully reduce overall power consumption a little bit.

Early next year, we will see an upgrade to Penryn CPUs. The motherboard chipset will remain that from Santa Rosa. Penryn will deliver marginally higher clock speeds, SSE4 and significant power savings.

I'm pretty sure you are wrong too. Nahelem is what brings SEE4 and the power saving changes. Penryn is just a die shrink of Merom to 45nm so you will see higher clock speeds but thats it.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

I'm pretty sure you are wrong too. Nahelem is what brings SEE4 and the power saving changes. Penryn is just a die shrink of Merom to 45nm so you will see higher clock speeds but thats it.

And what precisely is he wrong about, then?
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:

How hard is it to:

a.) Check your facts?

b.) Quote only the relevant part of a post that you are responding to?
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:

Nehalem's dynamic scalability includes:

* Dynamically managed cores, threads, cache, interfaces, and power

* Leveraging leading 4 instruction issue Intel Core microarchitecture technology (Intel Core microarchitecture's ability to process up to 4 instructions per clock cycle on a sustained basis as compared to 3 instructions per clock cycle or less for other processors)

* Simultaneous multi-threading (Intel Hyper-Threading Technology) to enhance performance and energy efficiency

* Innovative new Intel® SSE4 and ATA instruction set architecture additions

* Superior multi-level shared cache that leverages Intel® Smart Cache technology

* Leadership system and memory bandwidth

* Performance-enhanced dynamic power management

Guess when I read this I figured that they were implementing these features in Nahalem. Perhaps I'm wrong.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:

Guess when I read this I figured that they were implementing these features in Nahalem. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Oh Jeez. Apparently it is hard for you to check your facts. You missed the bits further up the page:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by INTEL

"Penryn" which is based on our industry-leading 45-nanometer (nm) Hi-k metal gate process technology…The 45nm Hi-k next generation Intel Core 2 … operate at the same or lower power than the current Intel Core 2 processors…

Streaming SIMD Extensions 4 (SSE4) instructions. The Penryn family includes Streaming SIMD Extensions 4 (SSE4) instructions, the most significant SIMD instruction set addition since the original SSE Instruction Set Architecture (ISA). This extends the Intel® 64 instruction set architecture to expand the performance and capabilities of the Intel® architecture.

• Reply 28 of 32
    retiariusretiarius Posts: 142member
    HDTVs and projectors are fast ditching DVI connectors and analog sound inputs

in favor of HDMI. Intel/Apple were working on something called UDI but

may have abandoned such. Naturally, HDMI (now up to v1.3) makes sense

for revised Cinema Displays as well...
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by retiarius View Post

Naturally, HDMI (now up to v1.3) makes sense

for revised Cinema Displays as well...

I'm not sure about that. HDMI is just DVI+digital audio. As the cinema display is a screen only, I don't see the point of putting an HDMI connector on one. You can get HDMI-DVI cables.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I'm not sure about that. HDMI is just DVI+digital audio. As the cinema display is a screen only, I don't see the point of putting an HDMI connector on one. You can get HDMI-DVI cables.

Well, HDMI does provide some video features over DVI, such as a higher bandwidth and a larger color range, but neither is relevant for ACDs.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

Well, HDMI does provide some video features over DVI, such as a higher bandwidth and a larger color range, but neither is relevant for ACDs.

Thanks Chucker, I was not aware of this development. I thought that HDMI 1.3 was just about upping audio bandwidth, but it would appear that it substantially upped video bandwidth too.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fulmer View Post

Vista includes "Windows SideShow" as standard, which is basically Windows Mobile built into the 2nd screen (no boot time, easy access to mail/contacts/etc). This is a standard feature of Vista, so I'm expecting more and more manufactures to start putting this into their mid-to-upper range laptops. No, it's not happening quite yet, but Vista has only been out for a few months. Maybe we'll see more and more of this in the future, then again, maybe not...

I don't think the Sideshow thing will ever take-off. It's really just a too little gimmicky. Asus built a laptop (the W5Fe) with the Sideshow feature, but the reviews said it wasn't very good. On the Asus site, it says that Sideshow still has to turn on the computer to update things: "Since the information in SideShow cannot be updated while the computer is off, users can set their notebooks to wake up and collect new emails from Outlook, every ten minutes, for example, and then return to sleep state." Doesn't that sort of destroy the point of Sideshow (don't need to turn on the computer to check info)?