ITunes- I want the gaps between songs!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited February 2014
Seems most everyone is trying to get rid of the gaps between songs, but I would like to be able to have 3-4 seconds of silence between songs. Itunes seems to go immediately to each successive track in a play list. Anyway to have it pause between tracks?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adlai View Post

Seems most everyone is trying to get rid of the gaps between songs, but I would like to be able to have 3-4 seconds of silence between songs. Itunes seems to go immediately to each successive track in a play list. Anyway to have it pause between tracks?

I know how to make gaps when burning a CD, but I'm unsure when just listening in iTunes.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:

Go to iTunes Preferences, click Playback, click the cross-fader playback checkbox and adjust the slider to set the gap between songs (up to 12 seconds).
  • Reply 3 of 9
    adlaiadlai Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

Go to iTunes Preferences, click Playback, click the cross-fader playback checkbox and adjust the slider to set the gap between songs (up to 12 seconds).

I may be mistaken, but when I tried this before it mixes the two songs together (raises the new one and lowers the old one) but does this seemlessly through both songs. It doesn't actually pause between the selections. I will try it again and see though.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    You are not mistaken, that is how Crossfade works. There is no preference in iTunes you can set that will let you adjust the "pause" between tracks when playing from a playlist or from the main library. I'm not saying there isn't any trick or hack that could accomplish what you want, just no built in way in iTunes.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

I may be mistaken, but when I tried this before it mixes the two songs together (raises the new one and lowers the old one) but does this seemlessly through both songs. It doesn't actually pause between the selections. I will try it again and see though.

I thought that you might be able to get what you wanted by fiddling with the cross-fade control. I looked all thru Scott Kelby's Ipod book and this was the only mechanism I could find re adjusting the "gap" between songs.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    It doesn't adjust the gap, it adjusts the cross-over.

Gap = silence between songs.

Cross-over = smoothly fading one song out before it is done, and fading another in.

Setting the cross-over to a certain number of seconds means that there is that much 'negative gap' between songs - they don't stop, pause, play, they are both playing at the same time. If the cross-over time is set to zero, there is *still* no gap, because it will jump to the next song immediately. If cross-over is measured in seconds, then gap is a negative number of seconds of cross-over.

Two different things.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

It doesn't adjust the gap, it adjusts the cross-over.

Gap = silence between songs.

Cross-over = smoothly fading one song out before it is done, and fading another in.

Setting the cross-over to a certain number of seconds means that there is that much 'negative gap' between songs - they don't stop, pause, play, they are both playing at the same time. If the cross-over time is set to zero, there is *still* no gap, because it will jump to the next song immediately. If cross-over is measured in seconds, then gap is a negative number of seconds of cross-over.

Two different things.

Gotcha. Thanks Kickaha.
  • Reply 8 of 9

Yes, the distinction makes perfect sense. So, is there really no way to insert a gap? between songs? Seems very un-Mac to not have that option in there somewhere . . .

• Reply 9 of 9
    Originally Posted by butterjojo View Post

Yes, the distinction makes perfect sense. So, is there really no way to insert a gap? between songs? Seems very un-Mac to not have that option in there somewhere . . .

Well, 2007, so the thread’s hopelessly out of date, but even then iTunes had Crossfade. Just turn it on.