Help with a locked computer...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello all - a family member of mine recently bought a PPC architecture Powerbook off of eBay. The problem is, this person didn't log out / change their information and therefore made it impossible to get past the login screen.

Any suggestions? Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdnc101 View Post

Hello all - a family member of mine recently bought a PPC architecture Powerbook off of eBay. The problem is, this person didn't log out / change their information and therefore made it impossible to get past the login screen.

Did the Powerbook come with the installation discs? If so, restart the computer while holding the 'c' key, erase the hard drive, and reinstall the OS.

If it didn't come with the installation discs, you'll have to either buy a retail copy of OS 10.4 or find someone who has a PPC Powerbook who will let you use their discs (assuming it's the same model of Powerbook).
  • Reply 2 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    If you have the CD, you can also reset the password.

If you don't have the CD, do the following:

Hold command-s at startup, which goes to a command-line

type the following lines hitting return after each:

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

reboot

This starts the Apple setup software on reboot.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    tdnc101tdnc101 Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdnc101 View Post

I'm pretty sure I have my old CDs, but if I don't I'll try the second post. Thanks for the prompt response guys.