Cross country road trip

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    franksargentfranksargent Posts: 4,694member
    Driven out to the SW several times, never past S. Utah though (flown to the LC several times though).

From what I remember you should be able to literally "fly" through TX and NM. I did a lot of night driving, off the main interstates. Be careful on I-10 in LA, don't speed (no more than the next person ), and don't change lanes without using your signal lights.

I'd check out Four Corners, GC, and Zion for sure.

Love that red rock country, Canyonlands NP is also worth a stop. Lake Powell, Capital Reef and Bryce NP's are also way cool! Probably where I'll go when I really retire.

Rooms are cheap, but if you are willing to "rough it" the various SP can be very inexpensive.

Oops, didn't notice the date of origin, as EL would say, "Never mind."
  • Reply 22 of 26
    [b]spline Did You Leave Alreadt,if So Is There Anyone Who Is Going Across Country That Needs Help Driving Or A Driving Buddy Please Let Me Know.... Thanks,

Sean[
  • Reply 23 of 26
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Yes, I am currently in California. Sorry mate.

I-10 through texas and NM was an experience. Driving 90 through mountains in a 50mph swirling wind. My arms were sore the next day from the death grip I had on the wheel.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    franksargentfranksargent Posts: 4,694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Yes, I am currently in California. Sorry mate.

I-10 through texas and NM was an experience. Driving 90 through mountains in a 50mph swirling wind. My arms were sore the next day from the death grip I had on the wheel.

Last time I was in TX (May last year) I was doing ~75 mph coming out of LA, had to bump it up into the ~85 mph range, just to keep up!

And back when the limit was 55 mpg, coming back east into Albuquerque, NM, I was doing ~85 mph (a Friday evening I believe), and a lot of people were still passing me, I kid you not!
  • Reply 25 of 26
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Thanks to the CHP for not being around.

Hehe... welcome to CA. Coming from FL you'll have no problems avoiding CHPs. They're very easy to spot and are not sneaky at all compared to South or Midwest.

If you really want to open up your WRX, go to HW280 on the Peninsula... see if you can keep up with all of Porsches and Bimmers going 110+.

The roads in Bay Area a much worse than in FL, but your WRX with long suspension travel should handle it just fine.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    For less than $1400? You do know the gas prices in the bay area, right? You could tap our very own refinery for about $3.55 for the good stuff. I just came back from the NAB in Vegas and along the way we were looking for the "cheap gas" only to realize it was back in Nevada. Filling up is a $50+ event.

Still, good luck on your trip. Where will you be living in the bay area?