How to import playlists into iDVD?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am using iDVD to create a slideshow of pictures. I have been able to import mp3's into iDVD but I have read in the help section how you can import playlists as well. This would make my job much easier but I can't find how to do this within the program. Is this feature really available? When I select media and audio it only shows my mp3's, not playlists but yet the playlist shows in itunes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markw10 View Post

I am using iDVD to create a slideshow of pictures. I have been able to import mp3's into iDVD but I have read in the help section how you can import playlists as well. This would make my job much easier but I can't find how to do this within the program. Is this feature really available? When I select media and audio it only shows my mp3's, not playlists but yet the playlist shows in itunes.

What program are you using for your slideshows? Are you using iPhoto? If so, you can do it in iPhoto and then export the entire slideshow, with your playlist attached, into iDVD.

If you need help doing that, I can walk you through how I do it.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    does this mean you can have several songs for one slideshow??? i was planning to use me slide shows in idvd, i thought gee only one song per slideshow sooooo if i wanted more songs i'd creat different slide shows then share to idvd yes they would then be separate chapters. i had a slide show that was 176 images from iphoto used the same song.....
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

does this mean you can have several songs for one slideshow??? i was planning to use me slide shows in idvd, i thought gee only one song per slideshow sooooo if i wanted more songs i'd creat different slide shows then share to idvd yes they would then be separate chapters. i had a slide show that was 176 images from iphoto used the same song.....

Yes you can import several songs into one slideshow. You do this by creating a new play list in iTunes. I usually put several songs that I wnat for my slideshow into the playlist.

Then open up iPhoto. click on the album you want to make a slideshow from and then click on "slideshow" at the bottom on the window.

Once in the slideshow, click on the "music" iTunes icon inside the slideshow iPhoto window. You will get a small music window that opens up with your iTunes playlists listed. click on the playlist you created for the slideshow and it will be attached to your photographs. you have enough songs in your playlist, you don't have to repeat the music. You can click on "settings" and then check "fit slidwshow to music" in iPhoto. This way when your slideshow is done, iDVD goes back to your menu and you can choose another slideshow or video (whatever you put in iDVD). You will have to check if your music is long enough for your own tastes. If it is too short, your photographs will move too fast (if you checked fit slideshow to music). However, you can do this before sending it to iDVD. Just play the slideshow with the music in iPhoto.

Once you are done creating your transitions and so forth, click on "share" at the top of iPhoto and scroll down to send to iDVD. This will send your slideshow with the music attached to iDVD.

I hope this is what you were looking for.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    adradr Posts: 5member
    I'm also having a problem selecting a playlist in iphoto for my slide show. I'm following the steps. When I jit the music button in iphoto I can see the playlist that I want, I select it but when I hit preview it does not play the whole list it just keeps playing the first song on the list.

Thanks for any help...
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ADR View Post

I'm also having a problem selecting a playlist in iphoto for my slide show. I'm following the steps. When I jit the music button in iphoto I can see the playlist that I want, I select it but when I hit preview it does not play the whole list it just keeps playing the first song on the list.

Thanks for any help...

That's an interesting one. Are you sure you have more than one song in the playlist in iTunes? Have you created a playlist and named it (something like "slideshow songs" or whatever) and placed a couple of songs in it in iTunes? I have never had that happen. All of the songs in the playlist have always played. I will check some things, but make sure that you have more than one song in the playlist in iTunes.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmdrspidey View Post

That's an interesting one. Are you sure you have more than one song in the playlist in iTunes? Have you created a playlist and named it (something like "slideshow songs" or whatever) and placed a couple of songs in it in iTunes? I have never had that happen. All of the songs in the playlist have always played. I will check some things, but make sure that you have more than one song in the playlist in iTunes.

ADR,

I have not checked this, but are you trying to burn songs that you downloaded from iTunes or songs that you ripped from a CD. The only reason I ask is I was wondering if it is possible the iTunes songs are conflicting with iDVD. For instance, I cannot use any songs I purchased from iTunes in final Cut Pro. I have to burn them to CD and then rip them back off of the CD to removed the Apple copyright. then they work in final Cut Pro as an aiff file. I don't know if that is an issue.

I did see that some other people where having this same problem with iPhoto5. What version do you have? This could be a bug in iPhoto5, although I have not experienced it.

Lemme know.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Also, check to see that you are selecting a playlist that has the light blue page icon with a music symbol in it. Also, make sure that none of the songs are selected in iTunes when you select the playlist in iPhoto. If you have iTunes open while you are doing this, one of the songs might be selected or highlighted in the playlist and you might only be placing that one song into the iPhoto slideshow.

Ok, I am done for now.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    adradr Posts: 5member
    I checked all of the recommeded possibilities. Some of the songs that I'm using are from itunes and regular Mp3's. There is 7 songs in my palylist.

Thanks again for your help.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ADR View Post

I checked all of the recommeded possibilities. Some of the songs that I'm using are from itunes and regular Mp3's. There is 7 songs in my palylist.

Thanks again for your help.

Since I am not an expert, you have me baffled. However, here are some links to the Apple boards where people have had the same problem as you. If any of these work, let me know. I am curious to see if any of it helped.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....41363&#4341363

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....67975&#1467975

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....44072&#1544072

Check which version of iPhoto you have when looking at these posts. Some of specific to iPhoto 5 or 6.