Sizing Pictures for IMovie

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Help!!! I am new to a Mac and am trying to put together a slideshow using only pictures on IMovie (I have already changed the output of MPEG-4). What size/resolution should I be cropping my pictures to to make them look good when viewing the DVD on a tv. \

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 5
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 17,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smileyone View Post


    Help!!! I am new to a Mac and am trying to put together a slideshow using only pictures on IMovie (I have already changed the output of MPEG-4). What size/resolution should I be cropping my pictures to to make them look good when viewing the DVD on a tv. \



    First, no offense but try reading what each subforum is for. This is Future Hardware. Your post belongs in Applications. To answer your question though, I'd say you want your pics to be as high quality as possible...at least 1280x960 and preferably higher. Anything less in my experience is going to look blocky.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post


    First, no offense but try reading what each subforum is for. This is Future Hardware. Your post belongs in Applications. To answer your question though, I'd say you want your pics to be as high quality as possible...at least 1280x960 and preferably higher. Anything less in my experience is going to look blocky.



    Thank you for answering me. I realized that I had put it in the wrong discussion group but being new to this, I didn't know how to change it and re-input it into general discussions. (Still trying to get the hang of this new stuff!).
  • Reply 3 of 5
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smileyone View Post


    Thank you for answering me. I realized that I had put it in the wrong discussion group but being new to this, I didn't know how to change it and re-input it into general discussions. (Still trying to get the hang of this new stuff!).



    If you're just viewing them straight (no zooming) then, 720x480 will be fine.



    Honestly, you don't need to worry about it. Just use the full-size images in iMovie, zoom as you please, and then output to iDVD. It will automatically do whatever it needs to the final resolution.



    First time I did this, I hemmed and hawed and fretted. I scanned photos at ridiculous resolutions to be sure I had the best quality. But it's all the same. I've done this quite a few times since. My digital photos are all 3MP, and they look beautiful not matter what I do to them in iMovie. The only thing you have to worry about is if they are low res photos, you won't want to zoom in too much (or at all).
  • Reply 4 of 5
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Moved to Applications.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCQ View Post


    If you're just viewing them straight (no zooming) then, 720x480 will be fine.



    Honestly, you don't need to worry about it. Just use the full-size images in iMovie, zoom as you please, and then output to iDVD. It will automatically do whatever it needs to the final resolution.



    First time I did this, I hemmed and hawed and fretted. I scanned photos at ridiculous resolutions to be sure I had the best quality. But it's all the same. I've done this quite a few times since. My digital photos are all 3MP, and they look beautiful not matter what I do to them in iMovie. The only thing you have to worry about is if they are low res photos, you won't want to zoom in too much (or at all).



    Thanks for answering. I will try this today as I need to have a show ready for this weekend and the software I used to use was only for a PC. I look forward to learning more and more of what my Mac can do for ME.
Sign In or Register to comment.