Question for everyone...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Im interested in getting a laptop. I have a pretty good offer on the table for a 15" MBP but I dont know if I should wait for the new ultra-portable one to come out. I do some photoshop, and some music editing, but nothing major. I just want something portable to go around with. Should I wait for the new slim portable one to come out (since I love the hottest gadgets), or should I go with the MBP? Is the one that will be coming out that much better than a MBP? Everyones opinions is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post

... I dont know if I should wait for the new ultra-portable one to come out. ....

Apple's ultraportable is strictly a rumor. If by ultraportable, you mean flash-based, then it is less a rumor than it is an unrealistic pipedream. You can wait, but I'm betting you will be waiting a very long time.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Rumors of an ultraportable have been circulating recently, and I believe it is just a matter of time before it appears. The iPhone really sets the bar for Apple to make an ultra-portable; they have to bring the same tech and compactness over to their notebook line.

I also debated waiting, but as I needed and could and would use my MBP, I bought it and it is a great machine. You will not regret buying a MBP (it is the latest and greatest out there now). There is no telling when the new device will appear, so you could be in for a wait.

If you are concerned about the size and having the latest gadget, grab the iPhone when it arrives in June and that will give you something to play with for a while. The iPhone won't be available in Japan until sometime next year, so I don't have that luxury.

There are a couple of threads on the possible device, and they can be interesting (but long) reads. To sum up, there are two camps: one that says it will just be a small notebook with full size keyboard and a regular HD, and one that thinks it will be smaller than that and will be flash-based and have no optical drive. Personally, I think Apple realizes that optical drives are not essential for a portable device (I rarely use the one in my MBP, more out of feeling sorry for it than actual need) and a lot could be done with either the extra space or weight, hoepfully cutting both. I think it will be aimed at business users and some media people, will be able to edit photos, audio and video (my Clie could do that several years ago and it is the size of my wallet), surf the net, and give presentations (with at least s-video quality if not better). It will be expandable (USB 2) and third-party manufacturers will make loads of accessories for it like they do now with the iPod. In short, a dream product. Again, the iPhone is what makes all this imagineable.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I don't believe in this ultra-portable rumor. Just go for the MacBook (or Pro) that fits your needs now and for the next 3 to 4 years.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    If your choice is between a good deal on a 15" MBP and the rumored ultra-compact sub-notebook, that's no choice - get the MBP. The rumored new gadget is not showing up before the end of this year - no way, no how. We won't see any devices with iPhone-like multi touch capabilities until iPhones have sold really well. If they came out around the same time, they'd compete; this way, the idea is that iPhone users will think to themselves, boy, if only I had this multi touch thing on my bigger computer.

The MBP will make you very, very happy right away. Another thing to keep in mind with all Apple purchase dilemmas is that you'll be able to resell that MBP for very good money if and when this rumored sub-notebook comes out. You can't lose.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I agree the Ultra Portable is BS story. Do not rely on that rumor b/c it is a far fetched crock IMO.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    For Photoshop and music work, definitely get a MBP. If you want to wait a bit, get the Santa Rosa version that should be out in May or June. If an Apple subnotebook is coming out, it won't be until fall or January and it won't be the best thing for what you want to do.

Could Apple make a flash-based notebook? Sure! Flash prices are falling and a 32GB 1.8" SSD should be reasonably priced by fall. Still, a MacBook Flash wouldn't be cheap because Intel ULV chips aren't cheap. If Apple is waiting for Penryn for this little beast, that's all the more reason why it won't be out until early next year. A 45nm Penryn could be just as good as a ULV C2D 65nm chip for battery savings and low heat.

So, by waiting a bit, Apple can use a lower cost CPU and lower cost SSDs to make a new ultra-light portable at a reasonable price. Don't look for this before MWSF '08, though.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I'm not getting any support here... \ I don't mind taking the lead...

There was a time when people said Apple would never, ever, over Steve's dead body make a phone. Well, it goes on sale in June.

There was a time when people said that Apple would never make an 8-core machine. It is available now.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...hlight=mac+pro

AppleInsider has updated their report on the topic:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...highlight=core

It's coming, and I will buy it. Bring it on, Steve!
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Yes yes, but let's focus on the issue of whether our friend should buy an awesome laptop now or wait for a rumored product of rumored functionality, rumored to come out some time this year, or maybe next year.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I'm not getting any support here... \ I don't mind taking the lead...

There was a time when people said Apple would never, ever, over Steve's dead body make a phone. Well, it goes on sale in June.

There was a time when people said that Apple would never make an 8-core machine. It is available now.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...hlight=mac+pro

Yes, but has Steve explicitly denied previously or currently developing an "ultra-portable"? Ridiculous!
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Ok, we get it. There are plenty of other threads about the rumored ultra-portable. This one is not about it in general; it's about whether one should wait for it, or buy a notebook now.

Unless you think that the ultra-portable is being developed AND that it's going it come out in the next few months, why would you recommend waiting for it for up to a year instead of getting a MBP?