Console.app crashes every first-time i open it

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I double-click on console.app and it bounces around 40 times then just disappears from the dock. then i double-click it again and it opens right up. the first thing listed is always "Console.app crashed".

is this something i should worry about?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    In /Library/logs/console, there are files that console.app opens. If console.log is excessively large or corrupt, it might crash the program. You can delete the file but I think it only replaces it on reboot or possibly login. I usually copy /dev/null onto it to get rid of the contents.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    i'm not sure what "copy /dev/null" onto it means. could you explain that?

thank you!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmber View Post

i'm not sure what "copy /dev/null" onto it means. could you explain that?

thank you!

/dev/null is explained here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//dev/null

it's just like an empty file but a special kind. All you'd do is open the terminal (/Applications/Utilities/terminal.app) and type:

cp /dev/null <filename>

Now instead of typing the filename, it's easier and safer to just drag the file onto the terminal window. So after typing cp /dev/null (leave a space at the end), drag console.log onto the window and hit return.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    in my library/logs/console folder there are two items: a folder called 501 and a document called null. inside the 501 folder are documents called console.log and console.log.0 up through console.log.9

just wondering if that is normal.

thanks marvin.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

in my library/logs/console folder there are two items: a folder called 501 and a document called null. inside the 501 folder are documents called console.log and console.log.0 up through console.log.9

thanks marvin.

Yep. What's the last modified date on the document called null?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

thanks marvin.

I think what you have done is:

cp /dev/null /Library/logs/Console/501

which would copy a null file into the folder. If you drag the file caled Console.log into the window, it should look like:

cp /dev/null /Library/logs/Console/501/console.log

The number 501 is the ID of your user. The files like console.log.9 are archives of your console.log. After a certain period of time, the system compresses the console.log.