Apple discovers issue with MacBook batteries, offers solutions

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Have you checked the Apple Docs pages or Appledefects?

I have, only thing i've found is how to reset the PMU/SMC and i tried that, to no success.
  • Reply 42 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Download and run http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/ and let us know what it says...

Wow. Coconut has some cool little divices.

Current Battery Charge: 6057 mAh (is this bad?)

Maximum Battery Charge: 6079 mAh

Current Battery Capacity: 6079 mAh

Original Battey Capacity: 5500 mAh

Battery-Loadcycles: 4

Age of your Mac: 2 months

Charger Connected: Yes

Battery is Charging: No
  • Reply 43 of 62
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    Never noticed any problem whatsoever with my battery.
  • Reply 44 of 62
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Is that the 17-inch? My almost-new MBP is getting in the 5000s for capacity, not >6000. That's certainly good either way.
  • Reply 45 of 62
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Shazzam! Look at that increased battery performance! Four whopping MAhs....

SCORE!
  • Reply 46 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majordude View Post

Wow. Coconut has some cool little divices.

Current Battery Charge: 6057 mAh (is this bad?)

Maximum Battery Charge: 6079 mAh

Current Battery Capacity: 6079 mAh

Original Battey Capacity: 5500 mAh

Battery-Loadcycles: 4

Age of your Mac: 2 months

Charger Connected: Yes

Battery is Charging: No

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Is that the 17-inch? My almost-new MBP is getting in the 5000s for capacity, not >6000. That's certainly good either way.

...Or maybe TOO Good ?? muah ah aha a ha h haha hha ha
  • Reply 47 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Yep. New 17"!
  • Reply 48 of 62
    Quote:

Yep. New 17"!

7200rpm drive. Badass. 100gb... That's probably the Seagate Momentus 7200.1, 2.5" 7200rpm SATA the biggest out there is 100gb Seagate, AFAIK. I wanna one for my MacBook. Pity it can't be found within 200miles/300km/etc. of my city here in South East Asia.
  • Reply 49 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

7200rpm drive. Badass. 100gb... That's probably the Seagate Momentus 7200.1, 2.5" 7200rpm SATA the biggest out there is 100gb Seagate, AFAIK. I wanna one for my MacBook. Pity it can't be found within 200miles/300km/etc. of my city here in South East Asia.

I've always wanted to visit the Orient. I'll bring you one if I can crash at your place for a month.
  • Reply 50 of 62
    Quote:

They just came out with a 160GB Seagate 7200. It's the Momentus 7200.2.
  • Reply 51 of 62
    Quote:

They just came out with a 160GB Seagate 7200. It's the Momentus 7200.2.

AWESOME. Now I know what to save up for...
  • Reply 52 of 62
    Quote:

I've always wanted to visit the Orient. I'll bring you one if I can crash at your place for a month.

Heh. Quite a good proposition, really...
  • Reply 53 of 62
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    We had a customer purchase a lot of the Core Due Rev A Mac Book and Mac Book Pro's and every single one had to be taken to the Apple Store for this repair, every one of them.
  • Reply 54 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DGNR8 View Post

We had a customer purchase a lot of the Core Due Rev A Mac Book and Mac Book Pro's and every single one had to be taken to the Apple Store for this repair, every one of them.

Not surprising. With the Intel transition Apple moved from Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) to Lithium-Polymer-Ion (Li-Poly) batteries. Sony is the biggest pusher of these new batteries. I assume it's mainly due to how these defective batteries react. Li-Ion can explode, while Li-Poly merely expand. Considering the number of notebooks being sold I think the numbers are probably pretty low overall. I'm not an Apple apologist but from what I can tell the problem with these batteries lies with Sony.
  • Reply 55 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DGNR8 View Post

Before I bought my MacBook Core Duo Rev A from eBay, the original owner had the battery replaced about 3 months after he got it in May 2006. I bought the MacBook from him in Jan 2006.

Quote:

Not surprising. With the Intel transition Apple moved from Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) to Lithium-Polymer-Ion (Li-Poly) batteries. Sony is the biggest pusher of these new batteries. I assume it's mainly due to how these defective batteries react. Li-Ion can explode, while Li-Poly merely expand. Considering the number of notebooks being sold I think the numbers are probably pretty low overall. I'm not an Apple apologist but from what I can tell the problem with these batteries lies with Sony.

I think this is a fair statement. The problem is very likely to be that of the Battery manufacturer.

In general this is the source of both satisfaction and complete frustration with Mac hardware in the past two years, and I suspect through 2007.

On one hand you have certain components that can handle long running at 85degC(185degF) for years and years, while a few others (battery, dvd-burner[YES MY DVD BURNER DIED, though as mentioned previously CDWriting and CD/DVDReading is okay], hard disk[Hitachi "deathstar"], some LCDs) usually bite the dust within 1 or 2 years.

How can Apple improve their subcontracting process? I donch know. However, this is my approach talking to friends, family and (to some degree) clients. Mac hardware is pretty bloody solid. Except for the bits that aren't. But once you replace those when they fail, overall moving forward after that Mac hardware is pretty high quality.
  • Reply 56 of 62
    cool11cool11 Posts: 73member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeric01 View Post

I used to have 3 hours of battery life before this update and now it's down to 2 using exactly the same configurations..if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I am still confused. No battery problems until now. Should I use it? I call the independent reseller who sold me the mbp and they told me I can use it anyway.

But I am a little scared. What should I do? Install it for good or don' bother fix it at all?
  • Reply 57 of 62
    teedoff087teedoff087 Posts: 348member
    CoconutBattery Info:

Current Battery Capacity: 5310 mAh

Original Battery Capacity: 5200 mAh

I now have higher capacity. Can someone tell me how this is possible? Maybe I just have no clue how batteries work.
  • Reply 58 of 62
    cool11cool11 Posts: 73member
    I installed the battery updater.

It took a little time to finish (restart etc) so I moved away from mac for a few minutes.

When I came back everything was as always!

What I missed?

Where are the information about the battery status?
  • Reply 59 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cool11 View Post

I installed the battery updater.

It took a little time to finish (restart etc) so I moved away from mac for a few minutes.

When I came back everything was as always!

What I missed?

Where are the information about the battery status?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teedoff087 View Post

CoconutBattery Info:

Current Battery Capacity: 5310 mAh

Original Battery Capacity: 5200 mAh

I now have higher capacity. Can someone tell me how this is possible? Maybe I just have no clue how batteries work.

It's all cool, chill peoples, and enjoy the latest updates from our friends at Apple. Remember, no news is good news in general with Macs.

The MacBook and MacBookPro always shows up in Coconut Battery and some other detectors as having a larger current capacity over original capacity. This is all down to the vagaries of how the motherboard/ PMU/ SMC/ whatever detects capacity, charge, etc. Current battery tech does not give 100% accurate milliamp-hour measurement AFAIK, it's energy, not bits and bytes of specific data.
  • Reply 60 of 62
    ak1808ak1808 Posts: 108member
    I got my Macbook battery replaced at no charge because after the update capacity was down to 4400.