lets say you're watching the american history x ........

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
dvd on your ibook. then you come up on the shot where the black kid gets his jaw split apart on the curb and you decide you want printed copy of that to frame on your wall. is it possible to freeze the movie, copy the image, then print it somehow?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    ¡¡No es posible!!

Sorry, unless you have an nVidia GPU, it can't be done easily. Even if you do, you have to use Snapz Pro X.

You can, however, use a program that converts the MPEG2 video to something readable by QuickTime. Then, you could grab a still from the QT movie. The program MacMPEG2Decoder does a pretty good job of ripping DVDs, but do understand that it will take an extremely long time to rip.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    sizzle chestsizzle chest Posts: 1,133member
    I can think of things I'd rather have on my wall.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    stepsonstepson Posts: 95member
    your favorite character on Oz is shillinger too, isn't it?

Pause the DVD, and try the apple+shift+3 trick....
  • Reply 4 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by stepson:

<strong>Pause the DVD, and try the apple+shift+3 trick....</strong><hr></blockquote>No-can-do. That was the whole point of my long-winded explanation. The traditional screenshot only grabs the green chromakey, not the actual DVD image.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    funny you should say that... just saw AH X for the first time a week ago on my iBook... damn what a movie. Really plays with the emotions... and yes I cringed like hell at that scene... ouch. Edward Norton is just amazing in the role he plays.

Anyway, back on track... this may sound dumb, but if you have a 1.2megapixel or above digital camera you could try and take as big a resolution picture as possible and then play with it, getting a better pic image. I've tried it a few times with smaller things and on an LCD, a digital pic comes out pretty good.

Actually, seeing that I have AH X now, I could try it for sh!ts n giggles... although I must say that the choice of a poster leaves me a bit intrigued to say the least.

See ya in a bit with some results....
  • Reply 6 of 17
    zo-wtfzo-wtf Posts: 3member
    my ZO login just went FUBAR so I had to register a new one for the moment until admins get back to me.

Anyways, I took a bunch of AH X pics with my digital camera and made a sit file (2.5MB).

You can pick them up from my mac file sharing page for a few hours... I need the space again.

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/zo66/FileSharing.html"; target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/zo66/FileSharing.html</a>;

I left the images as is... iwth DVD player and everything... dont have time to edit them myself. Hope they were what you are looking for... as macabre as it might seem
  • Reply 7 of 17
    ybotybot Posts: 329member
    Why on Earth would you want to immortalize a curb-stomping to look at it on your wall is beyond me.

And here's the deal on screenshots of DVDs: you can not take screenshots of DVDs using the conventional method of cmd-shft-3! There are two ways you can get a screenshot of a DVD:

1) You can rip the DVD into an mpeg or any other QuickTime-openable format and then take a screenshot of that, but the image would be a pretty small resolution I think.

2) As someone else said, if you have an nVidia GPU you can use Snapz Pro X to take a screenshot (although I've never seen it work personally).

Those are the only two ways I've heard of for taking screenshots of DVD movies. If you have a PC it's a different story, and no, VPC doesn't work.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Anyone know some good software for ripping DVDs? I have DVDextractor 0.9b, which runs in classic ok but it would be nice to have something that is OS X native.

Thanks.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Why are you guys giving tips to this arian kkk racist asshole?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>Why are you guys giving tips to this arian kkk racist asshole?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Arian kkk racist? Did I miss something? He may be weird for wanting to save a screenshot of a brutal attack in a movie, but where did you get all that from?
  • Reply 11 of 17
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>Anyone know some good software for ripping DVDs? I have DVDextractor 0.9b, which runs in classic ok but it would be nice to have something that is OS X native.

Thanks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

JD,

Look for a program called ExTRACT. I have a .sit file of it, but I can't remember where I found it (these sites sometimes disappear so I just grabbed it to try at a later date). I could email it to you if you can't find it.

Also, Toast can directly copy the VIDEO_TS folders now so depending on what you're trying to do, that might suit your needs.

As for the thread, the guy is obviously trying to annoy people because there's absolutely no need to mention the name of the movie you're trying to get a screen capture from (much less a specific scene). Personally I'd vote for locking this thread.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    kkk? nope. just an amature mac user trying to get some attention. didn't mean to offend anyone by it, maybe i should quit dickin around and start asking straight forward questions. and thanks for the responses you guys know your $&!#. :cool:
  • Reply 13 of 17
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Toast can copy the ts folders? How??

I may give that a try. What would be nice is if I could rip a DVD and open the movie in Quicktime, so that I can then save it using the 3ivx codec.

But it would also be nice to copy the movie to my HD so that I can watch it at my leisure. I'm always racking up late fees on video rentals, so I want to rent a DVD, copy it to my HD, and then return it the same day.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    JD,

As I write this Toast is creating a disc image of a DVD of mine. All I had to do was open the DVD and drag the folders on to the Toast 5 window. It's really that simple.

From here I might try compressing it as a different format just to see how it goes. If you're just trying to make DIVX movies (I don't have an encoder) it shouldn't be too big of a problem. Quicktime can create VIDEO_TS folders so it should be able to open them and convert them as well.

Is there a QT DIVX encoder? I see that a decoder has just been released, but how are you encoding on a Mac?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by Ybot:

<strong>

Arian kkk racist? Did I miss something? He may be weird for wanting to save a screenshot of a brutal attack in a movie, but where did you get all that from?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, let's see, he wanted to get a screen cap of a white arian nation skinhead (read anit-black ) splitting a black guys heads on a sidewalk and blow it up into a poster. mm, yep, guess you missed something.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>

Well, let's see, he wanted to get a screen cap of a white arian nation skinhead (read anit-black ) splitting a black guys heads on a sidewalk and blow it up into a poster. mm, yep, guess you missed something.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, that would be a pretty racist thing for someone to want to immortalize that. I've never seen that movie so I have only heard about it, didn't know who was smashing who's skull in though.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    ok lets clear something up here, that scene is cruel and horrible per se... but someone can also want it for dramatic purposes rather than glorification of racisim.

secondly the movie starts very one sided at first (extreme racism) but that is only so that it can bring you through a small trip to show that racism is futile and senseless. And that point comes accross very well.

I find it to be an amazing piece of filmography.