Roxio to announce Apple TV support; Joost goes live; Silverlight

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I have Joost but offhand I can't see a way to send any invites?

I was told you need to input the code below to access the invitation section.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
  • Reply 22 of 46
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You must be confusing this site with Digg...
  • Reply 23 of 46
    idleidle Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You must be confusing this site with Digg...

AHHH! Worlds are colliding!

In other news, if anyone wants to share their Joost codes, I would be happy to lighten their load
  • Reply 24 of 46
    tsvissertsvisser Posts: 36member
    ROXIO > My guess would be integration with a new Tivo to Go software that supports the Series 3 HD Tivo.

SILVERLIGHT > I suppose any competition in this space can only bring positive things with it (at least for the end user, probably a PITA for the developer). I'm not expert in FLASH,FLEX,APOLLO, only have cursory working knowledge, but it doesn't seem that Silverlight trumps Adobe in capabilities. It does seem to solidify the fact that the approach RIAs will take in the future is exactly what Apollo, and now Silverlight, are promoting. Many people people will see Silverlight for the first time and be impressed with the display of a RIA but not realize at the same time that Flash is more than just advertising banners and movies - that Flash is a rich developer's tool too, especially when combined with Flex and encapsulated in Apollo. ...that is, that most people's expectation of Flash are gleaned from poorly designed / implemented Flash sites. Silverlight's impressions are based upon nice well built examples. Let's see what the end users' impressions are after experiencing bad Silverlight sites. Fortunately, I am in the position where I don't have to author content for the public, only 1-off deployments, so am free to choose whatever platform I wish. For the time being, it is Flash, but will keep my mind open as the landscape changes. Capabilities for both platforms should be excellent and am happy to say that my limitations as a developer are the barriers to my work, not the platform I choose to develop with. I will also be happy when this is not the case, but I'm sure that time is a long ways off...
  • Reply 25 of 46
    ktparkerktparker Posts: 1member
    If anyone has a Joost account, I'd love an invite! It sounds pretty cool.

My e-mail is katie.mae AT comcast DOT net. Or a PM would be fine.

Thanks!
  • Reply 26 of 46
    bevosbevos Posts: 59member
    Quote "Possesses two magical artifacts that allow him to affect events but cause him to age with every use" Thats right use Microsoft Silverlight and you will age prematurely..LOL and that logo looks like a bad bit of soap. My life pretty good having nothing Microsoft.

Must go and get Joost for mac. bye
  • Reply 27 of 46
    If you have it invite me to the beta - [email protected]
  • Reply 28 of 46
    fizzmasterfizzmaster Posts: 109member
    Quote:

I know several people who only use Macs for recreational purposes but develop with .NET for work and absolutely love it.

I am one. I am a new Mac user (and love it) but I develop Windows applications for a living and use C# and .NET.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    can someone send me and invitation to joost please please im at your mercy (lol)
  • Reply 30 of 46
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

[B]

Silverlight

This does sound cool. Way to go Microsoft! Though, a part of me wonders if they did extensive MAc demoing because it ran better on a Mac.

You probably hit the nail on the head there. They didn't want their demos crashing or freezing lol.

My concern is authoring being limited to Windows, the term Trojan Horse comes to mind. Imagine if Apple were shipping QT for Windows that could not create anything, only play back! Why should we embrace the reverse?
  • Reply 31 of 46
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

My concern is authoring being limited to Windows, the term Trojan Horse comes to mind.

It's not so much authoring that's limited (Silverlight files are just XAML, CSS and JavaScript, so it's all ultimately plain text and could therefore be created and edited in any text editor). It's just that they provide a comfortable WYSIWYG authoring environment which is Windows-only.

Here's a third-party's chance to make a lot of money by launching a Mac OS X XAML editor.

Quote:

Imagine if Apple were shipping QT for Windows that could not create anything, only play back!

As far as I know, QuickTime for Windows didn't gain authoring support until 3.0.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

I'd send you all invitations if I could, but I'm at work on my PC. If someone has it but can't find where to send the invites, you go to the widgets or whatever button and there should be an 'invite a friend' widget there where you type in their email.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    honestly though, there's not that much to get worked up about. There's barely any content on there. There's plenty of channels, but most of them aren't interesting, and the ones that are don't ever seem to update with new stuff.

And even if you like the show, the pausing and buffering will drive you mad! Hopefully once more people get on it'll increase the reliability.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    While it is nice to see that Microsoft has actually made a Mac runtime environment for Silverlight, the still appears to be one issue: the authoring tools are exclusively for the MS-Windows platform. Flash has the advantage of running in Mac, MS-Window and Linux and can also be authored on the three platforms.

It is unclear to see what Silverlight offers over Flash.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    I have invites, just pm me your e-mail addresses.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    Quote:

I know several people who only use Macs for recreational purposes but develop with .NET for work and absolutely love it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fizzmaster View Post

I am one. I am a new Mac user (and love it) but I develop Windows applications for a living and use C# and .NET.

I use Macs only for recreational purposes (and do occasional programming projects for hire), and we are just starting to use C# and .NET at work. For the record, I don't love it. I started as a C programmer and found C++ confusing (and confused), but OOP came alive for me with Objective-C. My opinion, repeat, my opinion is that C# and it's fraternal twin, Java, suck compared to Objective-C, and had ObjC been backed by the marketing muscle of Sun or Microsoft, and could compete on a level playing field, Java and C# would have been defeated.

Compared to the previous hell that Windows developers had, C# and .NET must seem like heaven! VB worked for toy programs, and VB.NET (called VB dot NOT, by old-school VB enthusiasts) just brought along the confusion of C# with a VB look. Not a good time for them.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Regardless of how cool Silverlight seems to be, I'm not sure how anyone on any other platform other than Windows could get excited about this!? Microsoft has a long standing history of releasing technologies for other platforms only to slowly lead them towards Windows exclusivity once that tech has overtaken its respective market. When there comes a time that Microsoft's profits don't rely on the sales of Windows, then maybe they'll start playing nicer with other platforms, until then I wouldn't touch their tech with a 10 foot pole.

This doesn't even account for the fact that their other Internet development platform, Internet Explorer (ActiveX), was the biggest cause of Windows security breeches and virus infestations. What kind of mess is Silverlight going to make?

The only good thing that will come of this will be forcing Adobe (and anyone else) to keep pushing their technologies forward. Who knows, maybe even get Apple to push Quicktime into this area?
  • Reply 38 of 46
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

Really? Seems they are just trying to catch up with the fact that Flash has pretty much decimated all WMV playback on the web - I mean, this has mostly be video stuff - i haven't seen any impressive vector animation at all.

Flash video did seem to beat anything else just because Flash itself is ubiquitous, it now handily beats out anything else in installed base, I think something like 98% of computers have it installed, and last I heard, the other video software players are barely above 50% in installed base each. The flash player plug-in seems to generally work better than anything else in my experience, and it's a lot more convenient for the creator because it's just one file to make, rather than making two or more of the wmv, QT and real files.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    First, I'd like to extend a thanks to O4BlackWRX for sending me an invite. Others asked for my email address but I hadn't yet turned on my email notifications of private messages so I didn't notice them until this morning.

The installation is very clean. It involves dragging Joost.app to the Applications folder alias present in the Joost disk image. I love when developers do that. If I see that I just know that other little details are taken care of.

The interface is nice and clean. The transparent overlays are nice. It has a feel of working with a fullscreen Flash-like interface. I received 999 invitations for signing up and thought I'd invite some friends. The text area was oddly slow and didn't respond to my commands as well as I hoped. Things lime Command-Z just won't work. I did have video playing a the time, but I expecting this that part to be smoother.

Also, I was only able to send invites in fullscreen mode. So i kept having to go back and forth between fullscreen and windowed to access AddressBook. This was a slow process. The app even stopped responding a few times, but it is still a Beta.

The video quality is nice. It's too bad iTunes Store can't offer up this same quality. The codec is H.264 which we know is processor hungry. So this is very much a future forward program. The lack of content, the high upload and download requirements, and the CPU usage will keep many PCs from enjoying the experience.

My stats while using Joost:
    System: MacBook - C2D 2.0GHz w/1GB DDR2 667MHz RAM

Average CPU Usage: 45% of 200%

Average Memory Usage: 100MB Real, 500MB Virtual

Uploading (Tx): 55 KBps

Downloading (Rx): 225 KBps
    The content is coming. I'm sure of it. They haven't been sitting on their asses with the billions they got from Skype. They fully expect for Joost to be the next big thing; and I think it will.

Joost offers a visually higher quality than iTunes Store. It also offers a realtime chatroom feature for each show. I imagine there will be certain people who will find this useful. It also has a rating system in place.

Once I saw the rating and the chatroom I realized that Joost isn't just a new medium to watch TV, it's a new medium to interact with others watching TV. Who needs friends and family when you can interact with strangers across the globe?

There is a lot of potential here. Especially if Joost gets deals with the major studios and has a reliable way to input commercials that can't be fast-forwarded. If someone creates a Joost appliance for the living room, iTunes Store, TiVo, and cable and satellite providers could be in trouble. Cable companies should be especially concerned. They will incur higher fees from Joost P2P while losing money as customers remove their content options and related cable boxes.

edit: Another useful feature is how a sow will pickup where it left off when you log back in. No trying to remember what you watchng, then locating it and forwarding to the correct place. It's all automatic.

Just PM me with your email address and this arbitrarily created password "09-F9-11-02-9D-74-E3-5B-D8-41-56-C5-63-56-88-C0" if you'd like an invite.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Flash video did seem to beat anything else just because Flash itself is ubiquitous, it now handily beats out anything else in installed base, I think something like 98% of computers have it installed, and last I heard, the other video software players are barely above 50% in installed base each. The flash player plug-in seems to generally work better than anything else in my experience, and it's a lot more convenient for the creator because it's just one file to make, rather than making two or more of the wmv, QT and real files.

And SWF is already an open standard. Macromedia released the specs on it years ago. Why oh why do we need another format? It is already difficult enough being an expert in ten other design applications, do we need to now get up to speed in .Net?