new ipod

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
does anyone think apple will be releasing a new kind of ipod in the near(ish) future, I mean is it worth buying a video one now since theyve been around a while?? Should I wait and see if they release something better or doees anyone have a clue if they might anytime soon??

any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    You made zero attempt to look for this info, did you?

Try searching before you start a new thread...
  • Reply 2 of 24
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hit-squad View Post

does anyone think apple will be releasing a new kind of ipod in the near(ish) future, I mean is it worth buying a video one now since theyve been around a while?? Should I wait and see if they release something better or doees anyone have a clue if they might anytime soon??

any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated!!

Try this link:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPod
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corey View Post

You made zero attempt to look for this info, did you?

Try searching before you start a new thread...

wouldnt have asked if i couldnt find what i wanted to know would i? great advice though
  • Reply 4 of 24
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Try this link:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPod

I have to disagree with the Mac Buyer's Guide.

Quote:

iPod: Don't Buy - Updates soon (Last released September 12, 2006)

Nano: Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle (Last released September 12, 2006)

Shuffle: Buy - Product recently updated (Last released January 30, 2007)

Does the re-release of the shuffle with colours three months ago mean that this player is any less close to a refresh? The iPod and the Nano were updated on the same day, yet the Nano is listed at "buy if you need" and the iPod is "don't buy?" By this one would assume that there will be a refresh of the iPod in weeks, but this is highly unlikely.

The Nano will be refreshed in September (it will be a 2.5Gen player -- i.e. not a major revision, but rather will get boosts in storage capacity, and other small things); and we will see the 6Gen iPod in October (and no later than Black Friday in November). The 6Gen iPod will be similar to the iPhone.

This is all speculation, so take it as such. If you want to enjoy your iPod for the next 6 months, then buy now. If you want the latest tech and are willing to wait the six months to get it, then wait.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    boy_analogboy_analog Posts: 315member
    Perhaps I'm stating the obvious, but there's a widespread belief that Apple won't announce a new video iPod until the iPhone has been released.

A lot of people (OK, me and a couple of other people in various fora) are hoping for something like a bigger and slightly dumber iPhone: widescreen, touch-screen interface, 100 GB HD and WiFi.

I'd also like to have a Lamborghini Gallardo and Eva Longoria, but one thing at a time....

• Reply 6 of 24
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    I feel that releasing a widescreen video iPod with internet connectivity would remove a lot of the incentive people might have to get an iPhone. Think about it: rumours of a widescreen video iPod have been floating around for upwards of 3+ years, many on this site. That's A LOT of pent-up demand for a widescreen iPod, with or without other features. FINALLY such a device is available, but only as the iPhone. I feel that those who are sold on the device because of the widescreen iPod functions will take the full plunge and get rid of their existing mobile phone, etc. just to have that iPod feature, independent of extra cost, cell service changes, etc.

In other words, the widescreen iPod feature of the iPhone is a good incentive for those looking for such a device to switch to Cingular. I would imagine that Cingular might have had a thing or two to say about this fact as well. With restructuring to provide visual voicemail (and presumably keeping plan costs low if Apple has anything to say about it) they have a lot of money invested in this venture. Wouldn't you, if you were Cingular, want some sort of assurance from Apple that one of the big draws to the new product (widescreen iPod) won't be available in another form factor for at least 8-12 months? This length of time would provide time for the early adopters and then some to get their widescreen iPod/Phone.

Hopefully for those NOT wanting the phone/internet features, any arrangement Apple may have agreed to with Cingular about the timing of the widescreen iPod release would have had a timeline clause OR a number of units sold clause. Depending on how well the iPhone sells in the first few months, we may see a standalone widescreen iPod in time for the Holiday quarter after all.

Edit: By the way, any internet function on this standalone widescreen iPod would be primarily built in for the purpose of wireless purchase from the iTunes Mobile Store, otherwise no internet access on anything but the iPhone. 100GB and touch screen sound about right.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post

I feel that releasing a widescreen video iPod with internet connectivity would remove a lot of the incentive people might have to get an iPhone.

That has been debated a lot. A wide screen is great for movies, and great for coverflow view if you have many albums. Yet neither a lot of movies nor a lot of albums fit on a 4GB iPhone, and not many more on the 8GB version. Somehow the iPhone is a contradiction in itself.

To throw some oil on the heated new iPod discussions, here's a wacky link from hardmac:

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2007-04-29/#6702

Aparently Apple gave an iPod to a European journalist for a review but suddenly wanted it back ASAP. Reason given: "Apple wants to get all iPod samples distributed to news networks back by next Friday latest"

New iPods next Tuesday?
  • Reply 8 of 24
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Apple wont do anything to undermine the iPhone success. There will not be a widescreen iPod before the iPhone, and there may not be a widescreen iPod for a long time after. I would put the video iPod in a buy category. No iPod update is going to be that significant that this one will be seen as old technology.

But I would wait at least a week to see what's up with this rumor. You don't need one like today do you?
  • Reply 9 of 24
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Apple wont do anything to undermine the iPhone success. There will not be a widescreen iPod before the iPhone, and there may not be a widescreen iPod for a long time after. I would put the video iPod in a buy category. No iPod update is going to be that significant that this one will be seen as old technology.

But I would wait at least a week to see what's up with this rumor. You don't need one like today do you?

To me, The Big Question is whether Apple will release a full-featured widescreen iPod between the June release of the iPhone and the December buying season.

Let's say the iPhone really starts selling in July-August, and all the attention goes there. By late October, some of the initial fanfare would have died down, and they could release a phone-less iPhone. Several months is enough time to milk the early adopters, if they wanted to.

Having said that, I think they'll punt on the iPod for even longer than that. They know they can sell iPods. The real question for the future of Apple is whether they can sell phones. They may provide a minor update to the iPod prior to Christmas, but I don't think we'll see iPhone-like features (wide touchscreen, internet, etc.) in any other device for quite some time. I don't think they want people to have an easy alternative to the iPhone.

[edit] Ha, I just noticed that, in addition to this being a super-redundant thread, it's also in the wrong forum.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    I know you guys wanty to kill me for posting this but here is an article from MOSR.

Apple is on the verge of releasing its next-generation high-end iPod, according to reliable sources....

....it will hit the markets just before iPhone does, and will take its place in the iDevice family just "below" the flagship iPhone.

Many iPhone features won't cross over to this version, but fundamentally the two devices will be much more closely related (both will run a stripped down version of OS X, employ wi-fi and sport touch-controlled widescreens) than any of the other iPods.

The new "6G" iPod will include three major versions: a Hard Disk based model, a Flash Memory model, and a "Hybrid" model which stores its operating system and "cache" data on a Flash volume while storing files on a hard drive.

We are still working to confirm all the details but it is believed that the three models will include the following storage sizes: 30, 80, 100GB (Hard Drive model) - 8GB, 16GB (Flash model) - 4/80GB, 4/100GB (Hybrid model).

Full article at:

http://www.macosrumors.com/20070421-2A.html

I know they are a joke, but it's been so dried lately with news about the iPod. So hopefully what they are saying is true, but I wouldn't bet on it.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    tkellytkelly Posts: 50member
    I don't think it would be the 6G iPod. I think it would be a completely seperate line.

iPod Shuffle, iPod Nano, iPod Video, and iPod *InsertWittyWordHere*

Not all people want to spend the extra money to buy a touchscreen. They might just want an iPod with some more (than a nano) space that can also play videos if necessary. They don't care about the widescreen or the touchscreen or (if it is true) wireless capabilities.

Apple would have a larger consumer range by adding a new line.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tkelly View Post

............Not all people want to spend the extra money to buy a touchscreen. They might just want an iPod with some more (than a nano) space that can also play videos if necessary. They don't care about the widescreen or the touchscreen or (if it is true) wireless capabilities.............

That is about what I would expect from Apple in these circumstances, and nothing more. Good common sense says they would release something to make the units more attractive, yet not overlap the iPhone in any way.

Good Post.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

I know you guys wanty to kill me for posting this but here is an article from MOSR.

Apple is on the verge of releasing its next-generation high-end iPod, according to reliable sources....

....it will hit the markets just before iPhone does, and will take its place in the iDevice family just "below" the flagship iPhone.

Many iPhone features won't cross over to this version, but fundamentally the two devices will be much more closely related (both will run a stripped down version of OS X, employ wi-fi and sport touch-controlled widescreens) than any of the other iPods.

The new "6G" iPod will include three major versions: a Hard Disk based model, a Flash Memory model, and a "Hybrid" model which stores its operating system and "cache" data on a Flash volume while storing files on a hard drive.

We are still working to confirm all the details but it is believed that the three models will include the following storage sizes: 30, 80, 100GB (Hard Drive model) - 8GB, 16GB (Flash model) - 4/80GB, 4/100GB (Hybrid model).

Full article at:

http://www.macosrumors.com/20070421-2A.html

I know they are a joke, but it's been so dried lately with news about the iPod. So hopefully what they are saying is true, but I wouldn't bet on it.

As for them being a joke - many of you forget (or don't know) - Steve Jobs former righthand man (Avie Tevanian) lives in Maine and he and Ryan went to school together, and talk and see each other as often as possible.

My point is, he IS still connected to some well informed folks, and shouldn't be discounted for what he says or publishes on MOSR?

Are they always right - no, but who is

Skip

PS Steve Wozniak is in Maine on a regular bases as well.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

As for them being a joke - many of you forget (or don't know) - Steve Jobs former righthand man (Avie Tevanian) lives in Maine and he and Ryan went to school together, and talk and see each other as often as possible.

My point is, he IS still connected to some well informed folks, and shouldn't be discounted for what he says or publishes on MOSR?

Are they always right - no, but who is

Skip

PS Steve Wozniak is in Maine on a regular bases as well.

Nowing how far wrong your boy "Ryan" has been in the past I woud say he has zero connections with Apple or anyone "in the know". that sounds more like a MOSR post than a reality.

Maine may be the smallest state, but it's not that small.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:

Nowing how far wrong your boy "Ryan" has been in the past I woud say he has zero connections with Apple or anyone "in the know". that sounds more like a MOSR post than a reality.

Maine may be the smallest state, but it's not that small.

Had I not shook both of their hands (when I was introducted to them) - I might agree.

Maybe since his sickness it's not what it use to be?

There WAS a time, when MOSR WAS the site everyone was going to, to get the latest news ? sometime ago, but they did have their day in the sun.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    The last time Samsung went to mass production with a new flash chip (2006) Apple followed in a few months with the updated Nano. Samsung just went into mass production with their new 16Gb flash chip that doubles previous capacity...

However, with the iPhone on the horizon it might gobble up all the new chips so you never know. The playing field is a little different this go around.

Vinea
  • Reply 17 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hit-squad

Does anyone think apple will be releasing a new kind of ipod in the near(ish) future?

No.

Quote:

I mean is it worth buying a video one now since they've been around a while?

No.

Quote:

Should I wait and see if they release something better or does anyone have a clue if they might anytime soon?

Yes, I thnk so.

It will be better, it will be the biggest upgrade to iPod since its conception - think iPhone with the phone part. It's pretty obvious they will release a touchscreen iPod this year, but I wouldn't say until at least September.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

That is about what I would expect from Apple in these circumstances, and nothing more. Good common sense says they would release something to make the units more attractive, yet not overlap the iPhone in any way.

The iPhone is a phone. It has Safari, does texts, has widgets, does email etc. A touchscreen iPod, would be an iPod with a touchscreen, it wont be a phone. If you want to make calls with a touchscreen iPod, you will still need to carry around your phone. That's enough to put me off it, but then again the iPod will have a lot more storage, will cost less, and will come without a contract.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The iPhone is a phone. It has Safari, does texts, has widgets, does email etc. A touchscreen iPod, would be an iPod with a touchscreen, it wont be a phone. If you want to make calls with a touchscreen iPod, you will still need to carry around your phone. That's enough to put me off it, but then again the iPod will have a lot more storage, will cost less, and will come without a contract.

Plus it would allow me to keep my Verizon where I get good reception. Cingular sucks where i live so there's no way I am getting the iPhone. Unfortunately, I would love one.

So if the next iPod sports everything the iPhone has without the phone feature, I'll get one in a heartbeat.

I hope the MOSR facts are right. i want a 100/120gig 5" widescreen. Sweet!
  • Reply 20 of 24
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

Plus it would allow me to keep my Verizon where I get good reception. Cingular sucks where i live so there's no way I am getting the iPhone. Unfortunately, I would love one.

So if the next iPod sports everything the iPhone has without the phone feature, I'll get one in a heartbeat.

Which is exactly why many people argue that it will be some time before Apple puts out a phoneless iPhone (in the form of a 6G iPod) anytime soon. Cingular needs the incentive for people to join their network, and Apple cannot take that from them so soon - that would be dirty pool by Apple as well as damaging to Apple themselves, having already invested so many resources into the iPhone - they delayed Leopard, for crying out loud. Bottom line is, Apple needs to sell iPhones not iPods right now, so many of the "must have" features, in my opinion, will be sticking with the phone.