Apple patches QuickTime flaw, issues Security and AirPort updates

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday released QuickTime 7.1.6, which adds support for Final Cut Studio 2 and patches a widely publicized flaw in QuickTime for Java. Separately, the company also released security updates for its Panther and Tiger operating systems, as well as an update to its AirPort Extreme wireless software.

QuickTime 7.1.6 for Mac

QuickTime 7.1.6, available for both Mac (43.6MB) and Windows (19.1MB), delivers support for timecode and closed captioning display in QuickTime Player. It also addressing a critical security issue in QuickTime for Java widely publicized following a recent hacking challenge.

In addition, the Mac version of the QuickTime update delivers support for Final Cut Studio 2. Apple recommends the update for all users of QuickTime 7.0.

Security Update 2007-004 (Tiger)

Arriving alongside the QuickTime update is a revision to the fourth Mac OS X security patch of the year, targeting various components of Apple's Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger operating system.

The release, which is available as either a PowerPC (9.1MB) or Universal (15.7MB) download, addresses issues with AFP Client, AirPort, CarbonCore, diskdev_cmds, fetchmail, ftpd, gnutar, Help Viewer, HID Family, Installer, Kerberos, Libinfo, Login Window, network_cmds, SMB, System Configuration, URLMount, Video Conference and WebDAV.

Security Update 2007-004 (Panther)

Separately, Apple also issued a similar security update for its Mac OS X 10.3 Panther operating system (36.7MB). That version addresses potential vulnerabilities with AFP Client, AirPort, diskdev_cmds, fetchmail, ftpd, Help Viewer, Kerberos, Libinfo, Login Window, network_cmds, SMB, System Configuration, URLMount, Video Conference, WebDAV and WebFoundation.

AirPort Extreme Update 2007-003

Rounding out Tuesday's Apple software offerings was the Cupertino-based firm's third update of the year to its AirPort Extreme wireless software.

AirPort Extreme Update 2007-003 (3MB) is recommended for all Intel-based Macintosh computers and includes compatibility updates for certain third-party access points configured to use WPA or WPA2 security.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    NOTE: If you use this QuickTime update and you are a QuickTime Pro user, you will have to buy the Pro version again... I think it's $30.

Personally, I've paid enough for QT.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Hopes this fixes my WPA2 problems. It says it's for 3rd party support.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

NOTE: If you use this QuickTime update and you are a QuickTime Pro user, you will have to buy the Pro version again... I think it's $30.

You must buy a Pro license only if you are an old Quicktime Pro (5 or 6 version) user...
  • Reply 4 of 19
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:

I think you've misread the warning. This is the same warning about QT7 that's always been there. This applies to QT 5 and 6 users.

Quote:

Important Notice to QuickTime Pro Users

QuickTime 7 will disable the QuickTime Pro functionality in prior versions of QuickTime, such as QuickTime 5 or QuickTime 6. If you proceed with this installation, you must purchase a new QuickTime 7 Pro key to regain QuickTime Pro functionality. After installation, visit[...]

• Reply 5 of 19
    My error. Thanks, guys!

So where's the option to upgrade without paying the extra... nothing in Software Update. Do you need to have run the System Update for 10.4.9?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

My error. Thanks, guys!

So where's the option to upgrade without paying the extra... nothing in Software Update. Do you need to have run the System Update for 10.4.9?

What do you mean? If you already have QT7 Pro, you don't pay anything for the update. What version do you have?
  • Reply 7 of 19
    ***WARNING***

I applied both updates, now my MBP will cut off if the AC is not plugged in. ...the battery if half full.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    They are just saying if you have QTP 5 or 6, installing the upgrade will kill your key, and you'll have to pay for QTP 7 fee. If you have QTP7 now, and upgrade, you will be fine.

Quote:

My error. Thanks, guys!

• Reply 9 of 19
    Applied AirPort update... My Core Duo MacBook will now shut off the AirPort card without warning, repeativly if running on the battery.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Good thing I was completely confused and didn't update. Wheeew!
  • Reply 11 of 19
    low747pfelow747pfe Posts: 13member
    After the QuickTime update some web pages have the blue Q with a ? in the center of the Q. What's this?
  • Reply 12 of 19
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Is the closed caption upgrade in Quicktime for Apple TV? Better language support for movie downloads?

I'm firmly convinced there's an Apple TV content announcement just around the corner.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    21122112 Posts: 36member
    Funny, I am looking at my installed list and I see the Security Update 2007-004 v1.0 installed on 4/19/07, but then there is a Security Update 2006-005 (Power PC) v1.o that I installed on 4/30 for my old iMac.

Anyone know why it is post-dating the Power PC update? I am leaving my MBP alone except for the QT update and I am leaving my iMac alone completely until I let you guys flesh this stuff out for awhile.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Called my local Apple reseller today. They said that the something in software controls the battery, and I will have to replace my battery. It's free, so I don't care, but I do have to wait until Monday to get a new battery.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

***WARNING***

I applied both updates, now my MBP will cut off if the AC is not plugged in. ...the battery if half full.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AeronPrometheus View Post

Applied AirPort update... My Core Duo MacBook will now shut off the AirPort card without warning, repeativly if running on the battery.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by low747pfe View Post

After the QuickTime update some web pages have the blue Q with a ? in the center of the Q. What's this?

Wow. OK, so almost an entire day has gone by and no one has said that they've installed these updates with no problems. Has ANYONE installed it and had no related problems? I mean any time updates are applied, there are always a few folks who have problems, but you usually hear from lots more folks that say, "No problems here."

The silence is scary.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Wow. OK, so almost an entire day has gone by and no one has said that they've installed these updates with no problems. Has ANYONE installed it and had no related problems? I mean any time updates are applied, there are always a few folks who have problems, but you usually hear from lots more folks that say, "No problems here."

The silence is scary.

After leaving my MacBook plugged into AC for a short while I heard the fans spin up and go silent, now when I'm running off the battery the AirPort card stays connected... Backdoor patching? Or did I not give it enough time to finish installing before going to the battery?

Aside from that I've had zero issues with both patches, I'm glad I got it since Safari is my browser of choice (No matter how many times I try to use FireFox or something else) andthe patch makes the "exploit" another page in history.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    I installed the 003 Airport update and it solved the problems caused by the 002 update which prevented me from connecting wirelessly to my DI-524 router using WPA/WPA2 encryption. Finally things are back to normal (for me, anyway).
  • Reply 18 of 19
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

The silence is scary.

Well throwing caution to the wind, I updated. And I'll be the one to say. "No problems here!"
  • Reply 19 of 19
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Well throwing caution to the wind, I updated. And I'll be the one to say. "No problems here!"

You can make a backup copy of your system drive. It's a good idea to do it anyway, a few times a week. If you do it about once a week, it should only take about five minutes for a program to update the backup. If the main drive dies, then I can just boot into the new drive and I'm up and running in a few minutes.