Most Wanted Feature in 10.5

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
What feature, realistic or not, would you love to see in OSX 10.5

For me it would be a file converter that handles every type of flie for the past 15 years, i know its not possible. If anyone has ever tried to convert files from 1995, especially ones that died out, into modern formats they will know why i am requesting this. However files get more advanced over time, espically game models, and this makes the whole thing impossible. I also have a fealing im the only one actually converting models from 1995 because now everyone likes the more modern stuff.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Well that's a good one. Well since you've taken that one I'd say my most requested feature for Leopard (that I know isn't coming) is a totally revamped Universal Access infrastructure.

I'd love for Apple to create a new API that culls together improved VoiceOver, Universal Access, Inkwell and a robut Voice Recognition platform with plugin support.

I see this as being a huge potential not only for people with disabilities but for anyone who wants to do less typing and more automated control of their computer. Eventually your iPhone would be powerful to run the API making data input easier when on the road. The plugin architecture would help 3rd parties take advantage of modules made for vertical markets.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    almalm Posts: 111member
    You talking about 3D models? Many formats cannot be converted just because they built on different logical and mathematical basis. You probably can get some part of it (geometry), but materials and lighting usually heavily rely on proprietary rendering algorithms which are almost always way too defferent.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I don't have one feature that stands out, there's really many different things which need to be done.. if I was forced however I'd call ZFS, but that doesn't mean I'd be happy with that if I didn't get a new UI, a new Finder, and the new versions of iLife and iWork built-in.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Shipping
  • Reply 5 of 34
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    id want virtualisation without having to install windows. not going to happen though
  • Reply 6 of 34
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    My most wanted feature is totally revised Dock/program launcher -- perhaps Dashboard style.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    miggs97miggs97 Posts: 87member
    Improved finder with metadata/content based browsing. For example, open the pictures folder and default layout would be an iPhoto like browser. The albums would be automatically generated using the file metadata and user tags. Basic photo manipulation through core image with a plug in system for third party developers. Clicking on an image would display the top 5 programs to launch or edit the file. However if you click on a browser icon the window would flip via core animation to reveal the typical finder hierarchy of the pictures folder.

The same could be done for music, documents, movies. Apple would supply basic viewing options (photo: slideshow etc, music: play ff rwd), and third party developers could create unique interface extensions that would supplement or replace the apple interface.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by miggs97 View Post

Improved finder with metadata/content based browsing. For example, open the pictures folder and default layout would be an iPhoto like browser. The albums would be automatically generated using the file metadata and user tags. Basic photo manipulation through core image with a plug in system for third party developers. Clicking on an image would display the top 5 programs to launch or edit the file. However if you click on a browser icon the window would flip via core animation to reveal the typical finder hierarchy of the pictures folder.

The same could be done for music, documents, movies. Apple would supply basic viewing options (photo: slideshow etc, music: play ff rwd), and third party developers could create unique interface extensions that would supplement or replace the apple interface.

I had originally thought that the Finder might take on an iTunes like appearance with smart/playlist-like folders on the left organizing files according to metadata/file type/cusomt user organization. Your idea, however, with integration of Core Animation to adopt the view that corresponds specifically to the file type present in the folder is genius! This would augment my theory that not only with the new iLife/iWork be dependent on Leopard, but they will actually ship as a bundled part of Leopard.

Only three concerns:

1. This would be quite a drastic change for Apple, as this type of finder control seems like it would be more like Windows than Mac - note that Windows XP has some basic file-specific commands on the left hand side of the window depending on which file is selected at the time. Is this the approach that Apple would find "most intuitive?"

2. Unless you did something like Windows XP as I described above, how would you manage a window with more than one file type in it? Or would you simply not allow the pictures window to have anything but photos in it so that you could implement this iPhoto-like control of the files.

3. If this were the case, what then would be the purpose of QuickView. which is a pretty neat planned feature of the new OS?

Still, though, kudos for creativity. I have to say that I wouldn't be surpised if your dashboard-like "flip" feature did find its way into the Finder in some way or another - maybe just to edit metadata?
  • Reply 9 of 34
    miggs97miggs97 Posts: 87member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post

Only three concerns:

1. This would be quite a drastic change for Apple, as this type of finder control seems like it would be more like Windows than Mac - note that Windows XP has some basic file-specific commands on the left hand side of the window depending on which file is selected at the time. Is this the approach that Apple would find "most intuitive?"

2. Unless you did something like Windows XP as I described above, how would you manage a window with more than one file type in it? Or would you simply not allow the pictures window to have anything but photos in it so that you could implement this iPhoto-like control of the files.

3. If this were the case, what then would be the purpose of QuickView. which is a pretty neat planned feature of the new OS?

Still, though, kudos for creativity. I have to say that I wouldn't be surpised if your dashboard-like "flip" feature did find its way into the Finder in some way or another - maybe just to edit metadata?

Extremely valid points. This approach would work best as part of a Smart Folder, type philosophy, where it was irrelevant where the files were stored, but you would browse them by type. As much as I do enjoy iPhoto, it's annoying to have it's library and yet have file in my pictures folder that it can't see. I would like to just drop the file into pictures and it should see it (or better yet, just see all pictures everywhere).

You are correct about quickview. I just hope they implement it properly, I don't want to dig for long in a contextual menu if it's actually faster to launch preview...
  • Reply 10 of 34
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    I like some of the things people have mentioned here. I'd like to see the following little things:

1) Labels like we had in classic (shade the folder only) along with the option to create your own shading colors.

2) An app for the menubar that worked exactly like taskmenubar for classic did. Sort of a menubar-dock.

2a) A double-thick menubar with part of it dedicated for system info apps, stock readouts, a larger analog clock that you can see easier.

3) A menubar analog clock that is easier to see if (and most likely) the menubar stays the same thickness.

4) A better finder of course.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    daffy_duckdaffy_duck Posts: 248member
    Metadata:

-Metadata embedded at the file level (instead of residing in a non-portable database).

-Custom metadata types.

-Better integration of metadata with Finder. For example, add a custom metadata type to the columns list and sort by it.

-Easier ways to add metadata. For example, make a selection of files, right click and choose to add metadata to selection. A dialog pops up which lets you add or delete metadata to the selection.

FTFF:

-Fix the Finder bug that freezes when SMB shares are disconnected.

-Show drag handles for resizing columns in Finder (like iTunes).

-Option to stick folders at the top of Finder windows in details view.

-Option to show only subfolders, and not files, when you click on the little triangle beside a folder in details view.

-Some kind of smart sizing of column widths in column view. Also, have it forever remember the width of a column you specifically set.

-Add more options for dealing with copy or move conflicts. Add more information to copy/move dialog.

-When you select multiple files and choose to get info, make the default behavior open a single get info dialog that describes the selected files instead of a bunch of get info windows. I think you can do this by pressing option while choosing get info but it should be the default behavior.

OK, that's it for now. I have a lot more but I would be very happy with these.

BTW, notice that a new UI is not a part of my list? I'd rather them focus on the important stuff for now. The current UI is good enough for me.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    daffy_duckdaffy_duck Posts: 248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

My most wanted feature is totally revised Dock/program launcher -- perhaps Dashboard style.

So Quicksilver, Spotlight, the current Dashboard, and the myriad of other 3rd party file launchers is not good enough? What are you looking for?
  • Reply 13 of 34
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    - Much better GUI responds.

- Better performance (e.g plugins being slow in browsers)

- Less spinning beach balls.

- Rewritten / sense making Finder.

- Removal of dashboard crap, change to regular apps for use in Spaces.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

- Much better GUI responds.

- Better performance (e.g plugins being slow in browsers)

- Less spinning beach balls.

- Rewritten / sense making Finder.

- Removal of dashboard crap, change to regular apps for use in Spaces.

1. It's there

2. It's there

3. We'll see

4. Not going to happen. That's not a feature.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    I would love to see FTP better integrated into Finder. I would like to be able to mount, read and WRITE to an FTP server. It would also be great if it can do it with SFTP.

I would also like to see some thumbnail browsing in Finder. I know there are some ways around that be it is nowhere near as intuative or easy as some other OSes have it
  • Reply 16 of 34
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck View Post

So Quicksilver, Spotlight, the current Dashboard, and the myriad of other 3rd party file launchers is not good enough? What are you looking for?

To me, they are not. QuickSilver is an excellent geek toy, but it's not as trivial to master and use properly. Spotlight is not that great of a program launcher/manager for me. I don't always want to use keyboard to launch programs. There are a couple of 3rd party software that kinda come close (whose names escape me), but given how crummy the Dock is, Apple should do it themselves.

Envision this. Hit one of the function keys or Mighty Mouse buttons and comes a screen similar to Dashboard. Instead of widgets, it shows application group bubbles. Upper left bubble might contain productivity applications such as iWork and Microsoft Office. To the right might be collection of creative applications such as iLife, Aperture, Creative Suite. And so on. Each group bubbles will show application icons (showing frequently used apps and/or recently installed). More frequently used groups will be in more prominent location and/or larger. Least frequently used groups (i.e., Games and you are not a gamer) might be smaller and/or grouped as "More Groups."

For this to work right, Apple will need to add category meta tags and this launcher will optimally determine things based on the frequency of use. Some will continue to prefer Spotlight or QuickSilver, but like I said, I don't always want to use keyboard. I thought I saw a similar Apple patent filing, but I haven't yet had morning coffee so I might be imagining things.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Referring to GUI responsiveness/spinning beach ball.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

1. It's there.

OS X feels like a contest between rock solid stability and speed, with speed losing out. I really hope the UI is more responsive, because the beach ball and general UI unresponsiveness are what I hate the most about OS X.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

OS X feels like a contest between rock solid stability and speed, with speed losing out. I really hope the UI is more responsive, because the beach ball and general UI unresponsiveness are what I hate the most about OS X.

same, safari and ichat seem to like hanging up on me. i dont know if its anything to do with my internet, but it is rather annoying.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

As much as we all want that beachball gone, it's not as simple a wishing it gone.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    The UI in Leopard should be much more fluid.

The UI not only has the services of OpenGL 2.1 at its disposal but it's always going to maintain a dedicated thread to UI rendering.

Quartz is an amazing display tech but it's pushing so much data without a lot of help I'm surprised they got Tiger up to the speed they have.

Now that Leopard has more "grunt" behind UI..you can already see Apple telling developers to go whole hog with UI as the speed penalty is going to be minimal in systems with decent GPU.

Toss in Resolution Independence and Core Animation and you're going to see a dynamic and fluid UI that takes a lot to bog down with decent Mac system.