Information-efficient systems: replacing typing?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
As a friend of mine said, I'm probably late to the party on this, but have you heard of Dasher? It's a gesture-based typing system that, to me, appears like it really may be the next generation of human writing systems.

Link: http://www.tikirobot.net/wp/2007/04/...hmatic-coding/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    nevenmrgannevenmrgan Posts: 240member
    Highly efficient typing methods have been around for a while, and no one's using them - they're just a total pain to learn, even if once you do learn them, you type like a secretary on ecstasy.

Dvorak keyboards improve speed and accuracy - and no one's using them. Stenography lets you take notes at breakneck speeds - and only a select few professionals learn and use it. Stenotype machines (like those used by court reporters) let you input hundreds of words per minute - is there a future in the mass market for those?

Unless most people can look at a basic input device and go, "ah, this is how you use this", it will be a niche product.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    admactaniumadmactanium Posts: 812member
    Actually, I watched that video and I'm typing this reply on a dasher.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    admactaniumadmactanium Posts: 812member
    interesting program. doesn't take long to learn. i can see how it would be very fast.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    "In life, I thing sat still be need morse the plans were one color hPees. Don't be"

I think it needs some work.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    __mo__mo Posts: 32member
    is this the new way to types sms? i found it quicker than predictive text input, and pretty easy to get used to. I was playing about with it with some other people in the architecture studio today. I suggested it could be used to create a new kind of automatic writing based on the knowledge of the average words in all books ever written. think, the parameters X and Y on the mousepad means you can use a multitude of devices to automatically write (a la surrealsim) - ie midi controllers and n numbers of sensors!

good post! i enjoyed it

xo

i wonder how the iphone types text...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    jiggy05jiggy05 Posts: 37member
    Actually, the slowest part of my typing system is cpu that's between my two ears.