1 Major thing Windows Vista is missing is...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Windows vista should have had an antivirus program built in. now it's not anticompetitive cuz vista already has a 2 way firewall and antispyware. What do ya'll think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I think what Vista is missing is acceptence by users.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daabomb2002 View Post

Windows vista should have had an antivirus program built in. now it's not anticompetitive cuz vista already has a 2 way firewall and antispyware. What do ya'll think?

I've tried to get Vista Ultimate up and running via the upgrade route ($150) from XP on 2 Wintel machines. There were so many functions not working, e.g. internet connection was impossible, I never even got to worrying about lack of built in virus protection. After lots of reading on various decent Windows forums, it seems that everyone, regardless of machine type (Sony, HP, Dell etc) has given up trying to upgrade from XP. You either buy a new unit with a clean installed copy of Vista or partition the hard drive on the used unit and clean install a $399 full copy of Vista Ultimate in the new partition, then deal with all the clean install problems like driver incompatability, power management not working correctly, functon keys not functioning, etc.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daabomb2002 View Post

I'm buying an OS. I don't see what virus protection has to do with core function of OS?

In this case it should come with MS Office for productivity, OriginLab for data analysis, Halo for gaming...... and the list goes on.

I hate all of the apps that MS, Apple, and others bundle with their OSs. First they want me to spend my money of stuff I don't need and then spend my time removing the stuff I don't need!
  • Reply 4 of 13
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I think Vista is missing the basic architecture it should have so that antivirus software isn't necessary.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I am contemplating putting Vista on my Mac Pro, I still don't know if I want to take that leap though. My Mac Pro runs flawless right now, I don't know what's going to happen if Windows finds its way onto my machine lol
  • Reply 6 of 13
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

I think Vista is missing the basic architecture it should have so that antivirus software isn't necessary.

A) Elaborate.

B) Demonstrate a personal computer operating system guaranteed to be virus-free.

C) Admit you don't know what you are talking about.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

A) Elaborate.

B) Demonstrate a personal computer operating system guaranteed to be virus-free.

Chucker,

Thankfully, you post to this forum.

Since this is yet another Vista thread, could you please give us your assessment of Vista ? I would like to hear some informed opinion on this OS. Thanks.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

A) Elaborate.

A) Vista is still quite prone to viruses.

B) I never said an OS can be guaranteed to be virus free. I said antivirus software shouldn't be necessary. On my Mac it's not.

C) Sorry, can't do that.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    monkeyastronautmonkeyastronaut Posts: 1,343member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

A) Vista is still quite prone to viruses.

B) I never said an OS can be guaranteed to be virus free. I said antivirus software shouldn't be necessary. On my Mac it's not.

C) Sorry, can't do that.

Well said. And I love B).
  • Reply 10 of 13
    monkeyastronautmonkeyastronaut Posts: 1,343member
    and while on the vista subject... i had a chance to play with a copy of vista that someone installed on an office computer.

bah. that's my assesment of vista. it's windows xp, just more complicated, they change some things to another place, add some eye candy here and there, and bam, suddenly you're doing the same as before, just slower.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Vista is missing a lot. But you know what chaps my A$$?

Now I get to rant because I use it everyday to do my job.

On Dell laptops at least, if you have it joined to a domain and have it spanned to a larger monitor; when you lock your computer to go to the potty or something....everytime you unlock it the stupid thing forgets the monitor settings and you have to go back and do the damn thing all over again.

Its a know bug....WTF its not rocket science.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trailmaster308 View Post

Vista is missing a lot. But you know what chaps my A$$?

Now I get to rant because I use it everyday to do my job.

On Dell laptops at least, if you have it joined to a domain and have it spanned to a larger monitor; when you lock your computer to go to the potty or something....everytime you unlock it the stupid thing forgets the monitor settings and you have to go back and do the damn thing all over again.

Its a know bug....WTF its not rocket science.

well you're "lucky"... we couldn't get our copy of vista to join our company domain. this is something we do everyday with everyone's PCs that run win2k and winxp... how messed up is that. well, whaddaya expect. it's been out since the last day of january, i guess it's part of the windows way.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut View Post

well you're "lucky"... we couldn't get our copy of vista to join our company domain. this is something we do everyday with everyone's PCs that run win2k and winxp... how messed up is that. well, whaddaya expect. it's been out since the last day of january, i guess it's part of the windows way.

wow havn'et run into that problem yet.