Boot Camp Questions...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Ok, so I might be thinking about installing Windows Vista on my Mac Pro, but I have a few questions before I make the plunge. When I install Boot Camp/Vista, does it have to go on the same drive as OS X, or can I put it on another drive (I'm guessing the boot drive so you can access both OS X and Vista on startup, but I just wanted to make sure)? Another question is can I access my OS X HDDs in Vista, or it is just what I partition (or maybe you can install programs to a external HDD)? I am looking for some detailed information on it. I went to the Boot Camp website, but they don't give you any specifics.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Is it possible to get Vista to see my OS X HDDs? I have a lot of music on my computer and would like to be able to listen to it in Vista while I work in 3D Max
  • Reply 2 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

When I install Boot Camp/Vista, does it have to go on the same drive as OS X, or can I put it on another drive (I'm guessing the boot drive so you can access both OS X and Vista on startup, but I just wanted to make sure)?

There are articles that suggest you can put Windows on a second drive but you have to switch it with the primary drive first or something. I'd say just put it on the same drive.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

Another question is can I access my OS X HDDs in Vista, or it is just what I partition (or maybe you can install programs to a external HDD)? I am looking for some detailed information on it. I went to the Boot Camp website, but they don't give you any specifics.

You need software like MacDrive:

http://www.mediafour.com/

It allows Windows to read/write Mac partitions.

I always wondered why apps like 3DS Max, Houdini, XSI etc were never made for Macs when Maya has been on Macs for ages.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

There are articles that suggest you can put Windows on a second drive but you have to switch it with the primary drive first or something. I'd say just put it on the same drive.

You need software like MacDrive:

http://www.mediafour.com/

It allows Windows to read/write Mac partitions.

I always wondered why apps like 3DS Max, Houdini, XSI etc were never made for Macs when Maya has been on Macs for ages.

I really don't know why. A lot of people thought now that Discreet bought Maya it was going to be PC only, but they did release another Mac version. I never really liked Maya, I know it's amazing, a lot of people use it, but it just never really struck me right. I've been using Cinema 4D for a while now, and the switch from 3DS to C4D was extremely easy I think. I just want to use Max for certain things. If I can go back and forth between the two when I have to I think I'll get some projects done a little quicker.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    cyloncylon Posts: 126member
    Loaded Boot camp on a second internal drive..no problem.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cylon View Post

Loaded Boot camp on a second internal drive..no problem.

Well, I'll give this a shot when I get home, I'm downloading the Boot Camp CD and Drivers now. I'll install it when I get home from work.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I am thinking of getting a mac but am curious why you would be a mac but still use Windows? I thought the idea was to get away from Windows, etc... and use more integrated, less buggy software???

Thanks for thoughts
  • Reply 7 of 7
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier View Post

I am thinking of getting a mac but am curious why you would be a mac but still use Windows? I thought the idea was to get away from Windows, etc... and use more integrated, less buggy software???

Thanks for thoughts

the idea is to use os x, not to not use windows. there are many people just like the thread starter who use software that is only available on windows. that's why he uses boot camp.