Why did you buy your mac?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey guys just had a very long conversation about macs with my students and a couple of strange things came up:

1. Most of them would buy a mac mainly because their is so many other laptops out their and they have no idea why one is better than another, so a mac is a safe bet

2. Another, the inevitable, is that they hate microsoft for being a big multinational monster (poor children so much to learn)

3. Three they would buy the white mac book over the black because it matches their IPods!!!!! (the youth of today have gone mad!!)

This just got we wondering, why did you buy your mac????

oh and what do you think of the opinions of the youth of today???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrokenZero View Post

3. Three they would buy the white mac book over the black because it matches their IPods!!!!! (the youth of today have gone mad!!)

Well, duh!! \

I bought my Mac because I'd always wanted to try one, and I was swayed by the unique sexiness of the G4/'Sunflower' iMac. In hindsight, I would probably have been better served by waiting for the G4 iBook to come out, but it's been a great general purpose computer!

I still get people who come over and ask, "That's a really nice display, but where is the tower?" They generally think it's something brand new, when it's actually 4 years old and not even produced any more...
  • Reply 2 of 42
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    I bought my first Mac because I was so damn tired of Windows. The constant updates to the OS and anti-virus software were bad enough. But my #1 reason in switching was the consistent behavior of all Windows OSes slowing down to a crawl after 6 - 9 months of use. Which then led to the inevitable reinstall and try to get back everything you had.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    1. Mac OS X is better than windows.

2. I also wanted an very portable, but affordable laptop.

3. I've used them almost exclusively since '92 or so.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    Honestly, school really sold me on OS X. All of my college classes had Macs in the classrooms. All my GD classes were in Mac labs, and even all the computers in the Student Center were all iMacs. After being on them for 4 years, I graduated, sat down on my Sony Viao and immediately wanted to kick the sh!t out of it lol. Finally after a few months I bought a Mac Pro and I never looked back, well kind of. I recently installed boot camp and now I want to kick the sh!t out of the tower again. Windows really runs like crap, no matter what computer you put it on, it's horrible.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    I was always destined to have one since before I bought my last PC. In fact it's because of that PC that I have a Macbook today.

When I was in the market for a new computer I didn't know nearly as much about computers as I thought I did, but one thing that was consistent in my search was that Mac OS X kept coming to my mind (note the PC before that had just died a few months before I bought it so I was without a computer of any kind to learn about the Intel switch that was coming) and so I researched it. I marked it as interesting, and moved on to buy an HP Budget PC.

2 Months later I was reading the San Francisco Chronicles and learned about the Intel switch there. I did some more research and was drooling by the time I finished reading about the Macbook Pro... and to top things off, I had just met someone who pre ordered a Macbook Pro and who was making the switch himself. I found out a lot more about Macs from then until November, cursing my PC for every minute it took to load an Application and every hour it took to for Norton to scan my PC every month.

In that time I also discovered TextMate... a brilliant Text editor. I finally decided in September, the only problem was that I realized that the current Macbook was at the end of it's life span and almost ready for a refresh. I decided early on to wait until the 64 Bit Intel chips, the Core 2 Duo, arrived first anyways.

Back in January I also found out more about the history of Microsoft downloading literally hundreds of documents from the Iowa Anti Trust case... I decided I despised Microsoft and didn't want ANYTHING to do with them.

Sebastian
  • Reply 6 of 42
    teedoff087teedoff087 Posts: 348member
    I find that I can be much more productive on my Macbook than I ever could on a PC. There are so many shortcuts and efficient features that PCs just don't have out of the box. Some features from Mac OS X can't even be emulated with 3rd-party software on Windows. I also appreciate that Apple is so much more innovative than Microsoft. OS upgrades and new features are added every year. The Mac also gives a much richer multimedia experience. One of my main reasons is that Windows is heading down the wrong road. Microsoft really pulled the shit out of their anus this time with Vista. With Mac OS X, I can expect even better things in the future.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:

Hey guys just had a very long conversation about macs with my students and a couple of strange things came up:

1. Most of them would buy a mac mainly because their is so many other laptops out their and they have no idea why one is better than another, so a mac is a safe bet

2. Another, the inevitable, is that they hate microsoft for being a big multinational monster (poor children so much to learn)

Mac OS X.

Quote:

As an Apple investor, answers #2 and #3 are some of the main reasons why the company will continue to prosper big time for years to come. Your students are tomorrows investors. And, starting next July, they'll be bugging their parents to get them an iPhone because it will be the phone to have. This is what Apple understands and Zunesoft never will.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    pipserpipser Posts: 20member
    I have been working for an ISP since 1999 who have exclusively used Macs and let me tell you it is THE most stable and efficient platform out there. I have done and am still doing my fair share of tech support and after seeing and dealing with all the many problems that customers have when it comes to owning a Windows pc there was not doubt in my mind that I would be getting a Mac for home.

I didn't want to come home after a long day at work to have to deal with Spyware and updating ant-virus software and such. I live in a house where I am the only computer saavy person so believe you me I just wanna come home and use my computer without hassle.

I bought myself a 24" iMac in December and I've never been happier. Neither have my family come to think of it and my girlfriend is bugging me for a MacBook Pro now.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    My story is a little more involved. About 13 years ago I bought my first Mac, a PB 160. At that time OS 7 was way ahead of windows 3(?) which was a real pain in the ass to use. I had macs for about 7 years, later buying a Power Mac 6500. At this time, I started thinking about windows because later versions of Mac os like 8 and 9 really were pretty buggy and windows was actually more stable. In 1999, I moved over to the dark side and bought a Dell inspiron with xp. It was ok for a while but I always missed Macs andstarted looking at getting a Mac again in 2005. I puuled the trigger last fall and bought a MBP when it was upgraded to core 2 chips. OS X seems more stable and requires less 'maintenence' than win xp (vista ?), IMO. I've not regretted the switch back. While I look forward to Leopard, I really am quite happy with Tiger and prefer it to xp and what I've seen so far of vista.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    walkerjswalkerjs Posts: 11member
    I bought a Mac because about two years ago Apple did something very smart. They introduced a model that was at a price point where I deemed it a reasonable risk to start an experiment: The Mac Mini.

Prior to that my primary home and work computers were Linux based (Windows where absolutely necessary), with my wife using a PC with Windows XP. I have been using UNIX workstations since the late '80s and Linux fit that UNIX workstation way of doing things. I knew that Mac OS X was based on UNIX (Nee, NeXTStep) but the hardware was too expensive. So around the time that the Mini was introduced we got a nice Tax refund, and it was about time to upgrade to something a little better, possibly a little different. So I bought a Mac Mini, hooked it up to the existing keyboard/mouse/monitor, and transferred all my stuff from the Linux box at home to the Mac. If I found that I hated it I could always go back to the Linux box and sell the Mini at very little loss. Well, at least until that Intel thing happened.

It became pretty clear a few months later that with a few exceptions that have been taken care of by some free third party software and a minor change in how I do things that this experiment was going to be an unqualified success. When my wife expressed how things were getting kind of frustrating with her XP machine, I convinced her that we should get her a Mac Mini as well. I got it, set it up for her, showed her a few things about how Mac OS X works that were different from Windows, and off she went. Two weeks later I asked how it was going, and she reported that everything was easier to use, find, and work.

Today we each have new Macbooks. Hers black, mine white. Her brother got one a couple of days after we showed them off to him. He now referrs to his old PC as 'that piece of junk'.

So Mr. Jobs did something right: made it so that one could get into the Mac experience for a reasonable cost. This led to us upgrading to the latest models at what, when you look at it with a clear view, is also a reasonable cost for what comes with them. I still use Linux at work, and Windows when necessary at the job (though I have a Parallels Desktop XP VM which can fit the bill for that when needed).

But for my own personal computer needs I will never go back to a PC.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    Quote:

I was in the market for a new laptop. A lot of friends had been Mac fans or had recently switched, and I had a good amount of experience anyway working in System 9 and OSX because of my university Mac labs. I did't start off with Macs in mind, but the more research I did, the fewer PC brands I was willing to spend the money on.

It pretty much came down to Acer's Ferrari line, Sony Vaio, or the MBP that met all of my needs and I trusted enough to spend that much money on. I was no longer a PC gamer and pretty much anything I needed to do, I could do on a Mac. Pretty much decided to just do it and get a Mac, with the logic that if I just couldn't stand using OSX as my primary OS, I could always go back to Windows.

So far, I love my Mac. I'm not a Microsoft hater, and wouldn't have any issues going back to Windows, but I like OSX a lot. What I still dislike is Apple's hardware monopoly because I'd much rather build machines myself, but definitely not a dealbreaker for me. I also really like the open-source/freeware community for Macs. There may be more stuff for PCs, but Macs have much less crap.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Back in Sept. Vista looked like it was gonna be a real letdown. I was right.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:

1. I don't think I've ever heard that one before.

2. Yes let us abandon our youthful idealism now. Who wants blood diamonds?

3. Well the white ones are $200 less with no real spec differences. Madness?

If your spelling, grammar, thought process, and naïve cynicism (apparently there is such a thing) are indicative of the non-youth, and you are a teacher, then I fear for them. I have a feeling you are lying, and you'd getter better results from us.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    I needed a quiet, small form factor PC. There ain't nothing out there that's smaller than an iMac, and it's pretty quiet too.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    danialdanial Posts: 13member
    Quote:

well i was 12 when i got my first mac, and i pesuaded my dad to buy one too, got them cause windows is well crap, they look gorgeous, and they do better things with music and photos etc. I'm 17 now, i have 3 ipods, 24" imac and a ibook and now waiting for the iPhone!
  • Reply 16 of 42
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirc View Post

3. Well the white ones are $200 less with no real spec differences. Madness?

If your spelling, grammar, thought process, and naïve cynicism (apparently there is such a thing) are indicative of the non-youth, and you are a teacher, then I fear for them. I have a feeling you are lying, and you'd getter better results from us.

You need to do a little bit more research yourself. The real "spec difference" is that the black has a 50 percent larger hard drive than the white MacBook. For the white MacBook to have a 50 percent larger hard drive, Apple charges you $150. You may not agree with Apple's pricing, but then again that's what choices are all about. So the charge for the black color is an additional $50. Not $200.

White MacBook

* 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

* 1GB memory

* 80GB hard drive1

* Double-layer SuperDrive

Ships: Within 24 hours

Free Shipping

$1,299.00

Black MacBook

* 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

* 1GB memory

* 120GB hard drive1

* Double-layer SuperDrive

Ships: Within 24 hours

Free Shipping

$1,499.00
  • Reply 17 of 42
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:

2. Yes let us abandon our youthful idealism now. Who wants blood diamonds?

You're comparing Microsoft to blood diamonds?!? That's hardly the same thing.

And Apple is also a big multi-national company who some consider a "monster" at certain things.

Quote:

I fear for you if you are just as naive as the youth. After all Apple is a business, just like Microsoft, and they'll make money where and how they can. If they can monopolize a market, they will.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

You're comparing Microsoft to blood diamonds?!? That's hardly the same thing.

And Apple is also a big multi-national company who some consider a "monster" at certain things.

I fear for you if you are just as naive as the youth. After all Apple is a business, just like Microsoft, and they'll make money where and how they can. If they can monopolize a market, they will.

I never said they wouldn't. In fact I'm sure I've said the same thing on other threads. I was just angry at his odd, patronizing tone, suggesting that all people give up their morals as they grow up.

And I'll concede the point about the hard drive. But you're still paying a $50 BlackTax. So the kids with white models can go, you know, get some nice headphones or a lot of slurpees.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:

I never said they wouldn't. In fact I'm sure I've said the same thing on other threads. I was just angry at his odd, patronizing tone, suggesting that all people give up their morals as they grow up.

And I'll concede the point about the hard drive. But you're still paying a $50 BlackTax. So the kids with white models can go, you know, get some nice headphones or a lot of slurpees.

But the $50 Black Tax is what people are willing to pay to have something a little different (somewhat unique). If they were all black, then some people would be willing to pay a $50 White Tax to have something a little different (somewhat unique).

Probably 90 plus percent of the people who buy computers think people who pay Apple's Tax for Apple computers think Mac computer buyers have something wrong with them and Mac buyers don't have good economic sense (or cents ).
  • Reply 20 of 42
    I wanted a 12" Powerbook.. Sony, dell, and HP didn't sell powerbooks...

I had no real choice.