Intel rolls out Santa Rosa notebook platform, Macs to benefit

Comments

• Reply 21 of 108
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HiddenWolf View Post

I'll believe the better battery life when I see it. It seams a G965 chipset will now actually consume more memory than a 2.4Ghz dualcore proc.

I'm guessing they upped performance while keeping power consumption the same. That means reducing power consumption for some parts, and upping performance for others.

The G965 chipset does have a terrible power draw, that is why they are using the GM/PM965 chipset in Centrino Pro...

IIRC, they will increase battery life by using dynamic bus speeds, so it won't be at 800MHz all the time, in addition to the usual multiplier EIST.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

Well then celebrate while you can. Won't be long before they start crying for Montevina MBPs (5th gen centrino - 45nm - due 2008).

The Santa Rosa refresh will actually bring 45nm Penryn, with further power improvements such as independent clock scaling and split power planes. I'm not quite sure if it was Penryn or Merom 800 that would introduce dynamic overclocking.
  • Reply 22 of 108
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwdawso View Post

Any word or speculation on when and how much the 667 frontside bus chips will drop in price? I have a Mac Mini Core Solo that I've been wanting to upgrade the processor on, but have sworn to myself to wait for the price drop.

If you're talking about RAM, the price is dropping as I type.
  • Reply 23 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bewebste View Post

What about the 17" MacBook Pros? From the info given, it doesn't look like 17" LED screens will be available yet, but surely they'll still get a speed bump if the 15" MBPs do, right? It would be supremely lame if you could get a faster 15" machine than you could for a 17" one.

Jobs hinted that they wouldn't get LEDs just yet. If he includes 17" in his definition of "large screens", then he's waiting for price drops.

We've had a faster 15" before. It took the 17" a little while to catch up.
  • Reply 24 of 108
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Any news about products drying up at retailers? There was a rumor ages ago about that (I think related to the Mini) but nothing has come of it. The Mini desperately needs an update to the Core 2 Duo processors.

Other PC manufacturers have already announced new designs with this chipset so I'm guessing Apple can use these just as quickly. As in tomorrow. The laptops won't be updated until June because they are getting new LED backlights but the Mini just needs a drop-in chipset and CPU upgrade.

Would they be able to use 1.83 Core 2 Duo with Santa Rosa and 800MHz Ram and maintain the same price point?
  • Reply 25 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

I'm patiently waiting for a new SR MBP w/LED LCD. I hope it'll have 1GB of flash Turbo Memory (Robson). Any rumor sleuths have any info about that? How about the case design? Any changes there?

No worthwhile rumors on that.

Quote:

As for Penryn and the rest of the goodies next year, there's always something better down the road but I'd like to get a new 15" MBP this year. Leopard will be out 4 months after the SR MBP ships so it'll be nice to have a new Mac to load it on when the time comes.

Penyrn will be out this year, second half, likely forth quarter, unless they move it up some, as they have been doing the past 18 months or so.
  • Reply 26 of 108
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

If you're talking about RAM, the price is dropping as I type.

Whoops - I was unclear! No, I meant the Merom processors (T7200, T7400, etc.) that are pin compatible with the Mac Mini.
  • Reply 27 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwdawso View Post

Whoops - I was unclear! No, I meant the Merom processors (T7200, T7400, etc.) that are pin compatible with the Mac Mini.

Ok, I haven't seen prices for that as yet.

But look at this article anyway.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/31958/135/

Oops!

At the end of the second page of the article is cpu pricing.
  • Reply 28 of 108
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Penyrn will be out this year, second half, likely forth quarter, unless they move it up some, as they have been doing the past 18 months or so.

I know Intel will be making Penryns later this year but I don't expect to see them in any Mac before January using the Santa Rosa platform. There will be a slight improvement in speed, better battery life, and cooler operating temps but a minor improvement overall. The next major platform improvement will be a far bigger deal. It isn't worth it for me to wait another year or so.

Now, if the June MBP doesn't have Turbo Memory and/or a new case design, I might have to do some reconsidering.
  • Reply 29 of 108
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Call me crazy but I think Apple may skip Santa Rosa. With the modest increase in fsb and clock speed I'm not sure that performance increases will be much better than 10%. With Apple just now testing LED backlighting (and not yet ready for production) and Penryn ahead of schedule and due for a release later this year, maybe Apple will wait till the fall and release MBPs with Penryn chips and LED backlighting and Macbooks then get top end Santa Rosa with LED backlighting. What do others think?
  • Reply 30 of 108
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Call me crazy but I think Apple may skip Santa Rosa. With the modest increase in fsb and clock speed I'm not sure that performance increases will be much better than 10%. With Apple just now testing LED backlighting (and not yet ready for production) and Penryn ahead of schedule and due for a release later this year, maybe Apple will wait till the fall and release MBPs with Penryn chips and LED backlighting and Macbooks then get top end Santa Rosa with LED backlighting. What do others think?

Apple will do what it will do, so there is a chance. It depends on many factors. I hope that Apple doesn't skip Santa Rosa for the Pro notebooks, that would look pretty stingy given the premium price. Not having Santa Rosa in the consumer notebooks has a different drawback, keeping the same old graphics chip, which is probably the biggest performance boost the chipset offers.
  • Reply 31 of 108
    eagerdragoneagerdragon Posts: 318member
    Ummm no word on 4 Gig internal ram.

This version of the Chipset should be able to support it.
  • Reply 32 of 108
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Apple has to keep up with the competition and all the other notebook makers are shipping out SR ASAP. Also, SR iMacs and Mac minis would be very nice. There won't be a new platform improvement for another year, at least.
  • Reply 33 of 108
    eagerdragoneagerdragon Posts: 318member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drkick View Post

My girlfriend's 3 years old laptop (worth <$400) just broke and it would cost $220 to fix it.

The 2 choices at this point are to fix it or buy a new one. (looking at a refurbished macbook). I would normally go for the new one but 2 things keep me from doing so.

1. If a new "Santa Rosa" Macbook is released soon and current Macbook prices drop, i'd be pissed

2. She doesn't use her laptop much so she could easily work with her old for maybe another year.

Just like to get some opinions from others before I make a move.

Thanks

First choice --- Fix the old one, as you stated, the GF does not need any of those features she is a low level user.

You can also do a hand me down, get a super machine for you, and give her your old one.
  • Reply 34 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Apple has to keep up with the competition and all the other notebook makers are shipping out SR ASAP. Also, SR iMacs and Mac minis would be very nice. There won't be a new platform improvement for another year, at least.

They should keep up with the 'competition' but Apple will do whatever it pleases. Penryn is out this fall an it would surprise me if they waited until then to upgrade the iMac, mini, MB and MBP.
  • Reply 35 of 108
    kukitokukito Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

The G965 chipset does have a terrible power draw, that is why they are using the GM/PM965 chipset in Centrino Pro...

?? Compared to what? The G965 is mostly used in lower power mATX motherboards. You can configure a PC with integrated graphics and C2D with just a 250 watt PSU. The P965, used in higher performance ATX motherboards also draws less power than Intel's own 975 Express chipsets and those from nVidia. The GM/PM965 are just the mobile variants of their desktop counterparts and will of course consume much less power.
  • Reply 36 of 108
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Too soon for OLED?
  • Reply 37 of 108
    kukitokukito Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Penryn laptop chips are not due until next year. Intel will use this year's batch for Xeons against AMD's new K10 server chips.
  • Reply 38 of 108
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

First choice --- Fix the old one, as you stated, the GF does not need any of those features she is a low level user.

You can also do a hand me down, get a super machine for you, and give her your old one.

This is what I was thinking. If she is just using the laptop for internet, word processing and keeping pictures or something like that, it doesnt make sense to be buying bleeding edge or even being close to it.

If $220 gets her a computer that she is happy with--then that is a great solution. Save that extra $1k from getting a new MB and think of the killer machine she could get in two years with that money...
  • Reply 39 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kukito View Post

Penryn laptop chips are not due until next year. Intel will use this year's batch for Xeons against AMD's new K10 server chips.

I bet Intel will beat this and release early. According to anand the SR chipset will be updated to support mobile Penryn CPUs. As I suspected, anands review of SR showed it to be very modest in it's performance adavntage as compared to current meroms in Napa chipset. All those that waited for this will be disappointed IF Apple choose to update MBPs with this chip and chipset. Robson was even deemed a disappointment as it did not reduce the awakening time from hibernate. Sorry folks this is not what you were waiting for. Link for the article:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2985&p=1
  • Reply 40 of 108
    Do we know if these new chips support more than the current 3GB of ram. The current chips have a 4GB address space but only 3 can be used for ram/

While this is not a make or break feature for me, it is a biggie.

So if anyone has seen the specs for the new chips, I would love to hear the details.

Michael Burke