HD suddenly unmounted

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hey,

so I was minding my own business, opening up azureus, when my computer freezes. I force shut it down, only to have a gray folder with a question mark on it flash on and off. I booted off of my os x install disk to go into disk utility, and look at my hd. it says that it was unmounted, and now it isn't even recognized when I open startup disk, which is why I got the question mark folder. so, I tried to repair the disk and got the following errors, "invalid node structure" and "invalid record count." I tried to mount the disk but nothing happened. any help is much appreciated. thanks!

just for your edification, here are the specs:

core 2 duo 2 ghz processor

500 gig HD

2 gig RAM

bought it just a couple weeks ago.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Did you try to format the disk? Some other tools like DiskWarrior may be able to repair it but since it's new, hopefully you don't have anything on there you haven't backed up.

If it won't format, the drive may be damaged. Hard drives can go bad at any time, even right out the shop. That's just the nature of hard drive technology. Hopefully flash will offer something better in the future.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Did you try to format the disk? Some other tools like DiskWarrior may be able to repair it but since it's new, hopefully you don't have anything on there you haven't backed up.

If it won't format, the drive may be damaged. Hard drives can go bad at any time, even right out the shop. That's just the nature of hard drive technology. Hopefully flash will offer something better in the future.

Yeah, I have everything backed up. The thing is I already erased everything on the drive once before, and it actually worked for about a day, until it froze on me.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FullMetalFox View Post

Yeah, I have everything backed up. The thing is I already erased everything on the drive once before, and it actually worked for about a day, until it froze on me.

Maybe you could try zeroing the drive. I believe this cuts out bad sectors. If it happens again, send it back for a hard drive replacement under warranty.

The behaviour isn't triggered by doing the same things is it e.g running Azureus?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Maybe you could try zeroing the drive. I believe this cuts out bad sectors. If it happens again, send it back for a hard drive replacement under warranty.

The behaviour isn't triggered by doing the same things is it e.g running Azureus?

I don't think it has anything to do with azureus specifically, considering I ran azureus fine a couple of times during the small period of time when it worked yesterday. also, the first time it happened I got a diskarb error at first, then the gray folder. however during both times there were several applications running, and this most recent one happened as I was opening azureus. I'll try zeroing the drive.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    just to update, I zeroed the drive yesterday, and today I installed mac osx and transfered all my stuff from my old computer to this one (again). I ran a diagnostic check as soon as osx opened and everything appeared to be fine. so I know it wasn't the drive that was faulty. just to be safe I'll avoid using azureus for the time being. I'll get that new client everyone is talking about ("transmission" I think) instead. thanks for your help! I really appreciate it.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Hi, I have had the same problem with my iMac, intell 2.33, 750 g drive. After using it for two weeks the volume suddently disappeared. Took it to the store and they could find nothing wrong (hardware wise). The just zeroed the drive and reformatted and factory reloaded. I have one discussion on Apple, but when I started another more directly asking about drive problems like this, they removed the disscussion. I do not use azureus. So keep those backups current. I lost all our disney pictures do to timing.