Intel rolls out Santa Rosa notebook platform, Macs to benefit

Comments

• Reply 41 of 108
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I bet Intel will beat this and release early. According to anand the SR chipset will be updated to support mobile Penryn CPUs. As I suspected, anands review of SR showed it to be very modest in it's performance adavntage as compared to current meroms in Napa chipset. All those that waited for this will be disappointed IF Apple choose to update MBPs with this chip and chipset. Robson was even deemed a disappointment as it did not reduce the awakening time from hibernate. Sorry folks this is not what you were waiting for. Link for the article:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2985&p=1

Performance benefits is NOT great, almost same as previous generation.

But Price drops are welcome

Let us see what holds for X3000 against GMA 950.
  • Reply 42 of 108
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

Performance benefits is NOT great, almost same as previous generation.

But Price drops are welcome

Let us see what holds for X3000 against GMA 950.

The MBs might benefit greatly from the improved IG. If so Apple may go ahead and update. That would then force them to upgrade the MBPs and probably the iMac and mini.
  • Reply 43 of 108
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    "?and an option to turbo-speed boot time and software application loading"

What we really need is turbo-speed QUIT time. Adobe applications take FOREVER to quit!
  • Reply 44 of 108
    eagerdragoneagerdragon Posts: 318member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Do we know if these new chips support more than the current 3GB of ram. The current chips have a 4GB address space but only 3 can be used for ram/

While this is not a make or break feature for me, it is a biggie.

So if anyone has seen the specs for the new chips, I would love to hear the details.

Michael Burke

Last I heard it is part of the chipset that makes up Santa ZRosa. So the ability should be there.

Damn Intel has keept the a good chuck of the First meg of memory for maping interupts, roms and other stuff. That dates back to the time of DOS and the Intel 8088 chip. They should drop that and give you fill access to the entire memory space, times have changed, not many users run DOS or CPM for that matter.
  • Reply 45 of 108
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Do we know if these new chips support more than the current 3GB of ram. The current chips have a 4GB address space but only 3 can be used for ram/

While this is not a make or break feature for me, it is a biggie.

So if anyone has seen the specs for the new chips, I would love to hear the details.

Michael Burke

Here is what we know:

? Current C2D "Merom" CPUs utilize 945PM chipsets

? The 945PM chipset limits RAM to a 4GB maximum

? Santa Rosa "Merom" CPUs utilize 965 "Crestline" chipsets

I can't be certain as Intel, AnandTech, Wikipedia and ever other reliable tech source seems to have no info, but I'd wager that the 965 chipset can utilize up to 8GB RAM. If you google the the chipset and look for maximum RAM you'll see desktop MoBos for sale that specify an 8GB maximum. Hardly reliable, but it was the best I could do.

Posting your query at AnandTech would be my suggestion for getting a decisive answer.
  • Reply 46 of 108
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'd wager that the 965 chipset can utilize up to 8GB RAM.

If this prediction proves sound, it's great news, though it's hard to imagine many current applications that use 4 gig of ram per processor. Doesn't even After Effects CS3, for instance, only use a maximum of two gig per core?

Heat be damned, the day will come when we'll see quad-core laptops and beyond.
  • Reply 47 of 108
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majordude View Post

Great news!

Motorola updated their chips, what, once every few years?

Man were THOSE the DARK AGES in terms of faster and more efficient chips. Motorola sure took their sweet time.

The rapid roll-out of newer, faster, and more efficient chips are a sure blessing to us in the MacIntel world.
  • Reply 48 of 108
    majordudemajordude Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post

Man were THOSE the DARK AGES in terms of faster and more efficient chips. Motorola sure took their sweet time. The rapid roll-out of newer, faster, and more efficient chips are a sure blessing to us in the MacIntel world.

I wonder what would have happened if Apple signed with AMD. That seemed like a better fit. Microsoft and Intel (both #1's) against Apple and AMD (both #2's). At the time, AMD was hungry and kicking ass. Now they are an also-ran.
  • Reply 49 of 108
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syklee26 View Post

i was getting annoyed by fanboys crying for Santa Rosa MBPs for months. Hopefully this will end soon. (plus I think most of those fanboys who cry for certain products never buy them once they hit the market anyway. They are just annoying).

Well said.
  • Reply 50 of 108
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

I know Intel will be making Penryns later this year but I don't expect to see them in any Mac before January using the Santa Rosa platform. There will be a slight improvement in speed, better battery life, and cooler operating temps but a minor improvement overall. The next major platform improvement will be a far bigger deal. It isn't worth it for me to wait another year or so.

Now, if the June MBP doesn't have Turbo Memory and/or a new case design, I might have to do some reconsidering.

I'm not so sure.

Penyrn will be intro'd at 3.2 GHz, possibly higher. That would certainly offer more speed. I don't know what the mobile version will be offhand, but it will also be higher than current versions.
  • Reply 51 of 108
    Quote:

Call me crazy but I think Apple may skip Santa Rosa. With the modest increase in fsb and clock speed I'm not sure that performance increases will be much better than 10%. With Apple just now testing LED backlighting (and not yet ready for production) and Penryn ahead of schedule and due for a release later this year, maybe Apple will wait till the fall and release MBPs with Penryn chips and LED backlighting and Macbooks then get top end Santa Rosa with LED backlighting. What do others think?

Santa Rosa will be around for a while. They can't afford to wait until late in the first half of next year with Santa Rosa PC out now.

Don't forget that Penyrn is a drop-in replacement, so that Apple can switch to that quickly.

Also, Santa Rosa is 64 bits all the way through. Leopard will be able to use that.

With Intel chips, going 64 bits does offer a speed advantage, unlike with the PPC.
  • Reply 52 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

Ummm no word on 4 Gig internal ram.

This version of the Chipset should be able to support it.

The current onw does as well. Someone already looked that up.
  • Reply 53 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corey View Post

Too soon for OLED?

Sadly. \
  • Reply 54 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sybaritic View Post

If this prediction proves sound, it's great news, though it's hard to imagine many current applications that use 4 gig of ram per processor. Doesn't even After Effects CS3, for instance, only use a maximum of two gig per core?

Heat be damned, the day will come when we'll see quad-core laptops and beyond.

http://www.barefeats.com/octopro4.html
  • Reply 55 of 108
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Penyrn will be intro'd at 3.2 GHz, possibly higher. That would certainly offer more speed. I don't know what the mobile version will be offhand, but it will also be higher than current versions.

You're talking desktop. Mobile Penryn, first iteration, will be 2.6 GHz, only 200 MHz faster than the 2.4 GHz you can get with a Santa Rosa portable system.

The real advancement is the Nehalem microarchitecture which won't arrive for another year from now. Apple likely won't be using it before June, 2008. It'll be a splendid update for those who need it at that time.

Anyone needing a new iMac, MacBook Pro or MacBook this year, Santa Rosa is it. Waiting for Penryn won't really be worthwhile since the first version will only run slightly faster on the existing SR platform.

Nehelem has an integrated memory controller which will be way better.
  • Reply 56 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

You're talking desktop. Mobile Penryn, first iteration, will be 2.6 GHz, only 200 MHz faster than the 2.4 GHz you can get with a Santa Rosa portable system.

The real advancement is the Nehalem microarchitecture which won't arrive for another year from now. Apple likely won't be using it before June, 2008. It'll be a splendid update for those who need it at that time.

Anyone needing a new iMac, MacBook Pro or MacBook this year, Santa Rosa is it. Waiting for Penryn won't really be worthwhile since the first version will only run slightly faster on the existing SR platform.

Nehelem has an integrated memory controller which will be way better.

I did say that mobile wouldn't be at that speed, but would be higher.

But, Penyrn IS a mobile Santa Rosa system. The entire line is going under the name of Penyrn. There will be server versions, desktop versions, and mobile versions.

Remember this, the 200 MHz is about 8%, Santa Rosa is supposed to add 10 to 15%, going 64 bit will add about another 10%. The faster memory bus will add between 5 and 10%.

Will we see all of that added together?

Probably not. But we will see a certain percentage of each speedup. Along with the better graphics, the result should be satisfying.

You think that Apple should wait an entire year before upgrading their systems? Santa Rosa is here now. Penyrn will be here in a few months.
  • Reply 57 of 108
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Tough to say what to do. The new Santa Rosa MacBook Pro is likely coming soon (by the end of June), but the new Santa Rosa MacBook? Hard to say... though you'd think they'd want to get it out no later than September, to hit the back-to-school buying season.

Aaaand... looks like ThinkSecret confirms my thinking here... their sources are saying new MB Pro in June (Jobs announces it at WWDC), and new MacBook in calendar Q3 (July-September):

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0705macbookpro.html

Daddy likes.

• Reply 58 of 108
    eagerdragoneagerdragon Posts: 318member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The current onw does as well. Someone already looked that up.

The current one can address 4 Gig but due to the Intel mapping, it does not allow all 4 megs to be addressable and Apple limited the range to a max of 3 Gigs.

Santa Rosa is suppoced to raise the cap and allows us larger physical memory space.
  • Reply 59 of 108
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Aaaand... looks like ThinkSecret confirms my thinking here... their sources are saying new MB Pro in June (Jobs announces it at WWDC), and new MacBook in calendar Q3 (July-September):

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0705macbookpro.html

I have some doubts regarding the credibility of the ThinkSecret information. It seems to more like a guess based LED delivery schedule than anything else. Moreover, since the LED displays is the next big thing in laptop display technology, I doubt Apple would introduce such a MacBook Pro so close to the iPhone launch.
  • Reply 60 of 108
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

They should keep up with the 'competition' but Apple will do whatever it pleases. Penryn is out this fall an it would surprise me if they waited until then to upgrade the iMac, mini, MB and MBP.

Believe me, they really dont want to get a reputation for being behind again.