It's awfully quiet...

Comments

• Reply 81 of 112
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Being NAB it could just be an FCP and Motion update but I do hope for two quad core processors in a Mac Pro.

Along with some new Video cards and hopefully better video card usability. I'm not sure if it would be done in hardware or software, but the ability for a Mac to use either BIOS or EFI would be the best option, and upgrade, they could have. That would give the Mac and MacOS the prestige of being the only platform that can run the newer EFI cards, and also give it the ability to have the wider range of BIOS cards available to it as well. That would be a big selling kudos for the Mac platform this year.

As long as there is a free upgrade to Leopard I'll buy a Mac Pro the day they are released, but that will depend a lot on what they have done with the video cards this year.

It's always seemed that the Mac is many steps behind in video cards, but to have both EFI and BIOS would totally turn the tables and actually give Apple the Advantage. And that would be a lasting advantage because VIsta doesn't do EFI.

They could also use it as a forum to announce a new InterNet TV initiative for Apple TV. Look at the deals that the broadcasters have made with the Yahoo, Joost, and You Tube reciently. It would make sense for them to make a similar alliance with Apple to get that content back off the TV and onto the Big Screen and Apple needs to make more anouncements to boost the percieved value of Apple TV over other offerings. This would be a good forum to do so to attract other broadcasters as well. Pipe dream, probably but who knows...
  • Reply 82 of 112
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCG View Post

They could also use it as a forum to announce a new InterNet TV initiative for Apple TV. Look at the deals that the broadcasters have made with the Yahoo, Joost, and You Tube reciently. It would make sense for them to make a similar alliance with Apple to get that content back off the TV and onto the Big Screen and Apple needs to make more anouncements to boost the percieved value of Apple TV over other offerings. This would be a good forum to do so to attract other broadcasters as well. Pipe dream, probably but who knows...

That's not what NAB's about. NAB's about tools to produce content, not distribution.
  • Reply 83 of 112
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Silence is broken... my ears are hurting. New Mac Pro's. \
  • Reply 84 of 112
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

It's awfully quiet?

My guess now at this stage is June, Leopard bundled with the new iLife and iWork. Possible new Mac Mini's, iPhone released and definitely new Cinema Displays all at one event.
  • Reply 85 of 112
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

That's not what NAB's about. NAB's about tools to produce content, not distribution.

Apple could still announce it if they wanted to. They could also tie it into production by releasing the tools to build compatible sites as well. If they want to speak to the producers NAB is a better forum to do so than WWDC or Mac World.
  • Reply 86 of 112
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

My guess now at this stage is June, Leopard bundled with the new iLife and iWork. Possible new Mac Mini's, iPhone released and definitely new Cinema Displays all at one event.

Yeah. Mac Pros now, MacBook Pros/MacBooks in early May, Leopard/iWork/iLife and iPhone in June.

Mac Minis can pretty much come in anytime before Leopard. Apple will likely try to get some extra margin on them by shipping new minis and then selling owners upgrades to Leopard.

The only question now is where the iMacs fit in. Last upgraded in November, right? Seems like they would be overdue for a pre-Leopard bump as well, though I'm not up to date on where Intel is with the chips used in those.
  • Reply 87 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

The only question now is where the iMacs fit in. Last upgraded in November, right?

No, last update was mid-September 2006. Nearly seven months before.

Quote:

Seems like they would be overdue for a pre-Leopard bump as well, though I'm not up to date on where Intel is with the chips used in those.

I think Apple will wait for Santa Rosa, due next month. After that, the new iMacs could be released, that is anytime between end May and WWDC. But if the rumor about a new form factor holds some truth, I would expect Apple to introduce the new iMacs no sooner than WWDC. In this event, a redesigned iMac could serve as an exemplary hardware platform to showcase Leopard. If it is so or not depends also on the new design.
  • Reply 88 of 112
    Quote:

Yeah. Mac Pros now, MacBook Pros/MacBooks in early May...

In less than one week it will be mid-May already. And what we have got from the beggining of the year? An addition to the possible Mac Pro CPU configurations. Oh, and AppleTV.

It is not just awfully quiet, it is deafening quiet. And I am afraid there is nothing to read into it.

Just a bump to this so relevant thread.
  • Reply 89 of 112
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

In less than one week it will be mid-May already. And what we have got from the beggining of the year? An addition to the possible Mac Pro CPU configurations. Oh, and AppleTV.

It is not just awfully quiet, it is deafening quiet. And I am afraid there is nothing to read into it.

Just a bump to this so relevant thread.

It's hardly quiet. iTunes has seen major improvements in the past couple of months, and pretty soon those DRM Free tracks will start showing up.

The iPhone is launching in around a month, the Apple TV just made it out of the gate, the Mac Pro got a CPU Bump, Final Cut Studio 2 was launched at NAB with the announcement of Final Cut Server this summer, oh and Macs with LED Displays are going to be launching sometime soon.

The iMac, the Macbook, the Macbook Pro, and the Mac Mini are about to hit their upgrade cycles, the same cycle that happened after the Mac Pro was launched in August of last year, and that was just updated, plus it's been about 6 months since the last Mac to be updated was released: The Macbook Core 2 Duo.

It's a far cry from quiet, the noise is just ignored by people looking for more favorable news regarding the Mac. In that case, in about a Month Apple will be launching their newest Mac: iPhone.

Sebastian
  • Reply 90 of 112
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    http://www.intel.com/products/proces...t/core2duo.htm

this will give way some more updates...
  • Reply 91 of 112
    donebyleedonebylee Posts: 521member
    I originally thought that we would see new MacBooks around WWDC with new iMacs following before September back-to-school. Now, I think everything is going to be much later.
    1. The iPhone is crucial to Apple's future and they aren't going to clutter its release with other products June 15th

2. Leopard is crucial to Apple's next steps in the Mac arena mid-October

3. Santa Rosa and LED displays are going into the next MacBooks and MacBook Pros and that is going to take awhile to get in production simultaneous release with Leopard; mid-October

4. new iMacs are another major release (like the MBs and MBPs; maybe with LED screens) and Apple is going to want to schedule it accordingly November-December

5. New Mac Pros aren't coming until Apple has new Penryn chipsets in the pipeline MWSF 2008

It seems my new Mac Pro won't be here until the beginning of next year. \
  • Reply 92 of 112
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

I originally thought that we would see new MacBooks around WWDC with new iMacs following before September back-to-school. Now, I think everything is going to be much later.
    1. The iPhone is crucial to Apple's future and they aren't going to clutter its release with other products June 15th

3. Santa Rosa and LED displays are going into the next MacBooks and MacBook Pros and that is going to take awhile to get in production simultaneous release with Leopard; mid-October

4. new iMacs are another major release (like the MBs and MBPs; maybe with LED screens) and Apple is going to want to schedule it accordingly November-December

5. New Mac Pros aren't coming until Apple has new Penryn chipsets in the pipeline MWSF 2008

It seems my new Mac Pro won't be here until the beginning of next year. \

I don't think that the iMacs will get LED screen for the next update, they are just waiting for Santa Rosa which is hitting the streats now. A November/December release for a new model would be putting it at well over a year, and missing out on the back to school market without good reason. I would think that a iMac update will come either this month or at WWDC.

If the 'Books are waiting for LED displays and that is going to delay their release till July/August then that opens the way for the Mini to get the Santa Rosa MB's around the same time that the iMac gets them. I would have thought that the only update to the Mini this time around would have been a move to Core 2 Duo to keep Santa Rosa supplies targeted to the iMac and Mac Book Pro's (and later the Mac Books). A delay in those models will ease initial supply constraints and the new Graphics chip on the Santa Rosa platform would be a welcome boost to the Mini.

The Mac Pro's didn't get much fan fare with their move to the Quad Core processors. I wouldn't be suprised if they did a more major update to the line with the release of Leopard, or even as early as WWDC, though a MWSF would be just as likely a date.
  • Reply 93 of 112
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    I do not think Mac Mini will get preference over MacBook when comes to Santa Rosa, remember Mini is still in Core Duo.
  • Reply 94 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

I do not think Mac Mini will get preference over MacBook when comes to Santa Rosa, remember Mini is still in Core Duo.

I would defiantly agree with you. What I was trying to point out is that IF there is a significant delay of the Mac Book Pro and Mac Book due to a switch over to LED backlighting in the display then that would open up the possibility of using the chip sets available which would logically go to the Mac Book Pro in the Mini. The reason for this, and it would all come down to price more than performance, is the boost to the integrated video that the Santa Rosa platform comes with.

The logical order for upgrades would be the iMac and Mac Book Pro this month or next. Followed up with the Mac Book in July or August or even sometime in September. The Mini would get an low key update to a Core 2 Duo, possibly with a small bump in speed, anytime between the release of the iMac and the release of the Mac Book, though it could hold off as long as October.
  • Reply 95 of 112
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @homenow View Post

I would defiantly agree with you. What I was trying to point out is that IF there is a significant delay of the Mac Book Pro and Mac Book due to a switch over to LED backlighting in the display then that would open up the possibility of using the chip sets available which would logically go to the Mac Book Pro in the Mini. The reason for this, and it would all come down to price more than performance, is the boost to the integrated video that the Santa Rosa platform comes with.

The logical order for upgrades would be the iMac and Mac Book Pro this month or next. Followed up with the Mac Book in July or August or even sometime in September. The Mini would get an low key update to a Core 2 Duo, possibly with a small bump in speed, anytime between the release of the iMac and the release of the Mac Book, though it could hold off as long as October.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCG View Post

I don't think that the iMacs will get LED screen for the next update, they are just waiting for Santa Rosa which is hitting the streats now. A November/December release for a new model would be putting it at well over a year, and missing out on the back to school market without good reason. I would think that a iMac update will come either this month or at WWDC.

If the 'Books are waiting for LED displays and that is going to delay their release till July/August then that opens the way for the Mini to get the Santa Rosa MB's around the same time that the iMac gets them. I would have thought that the only update to the Mini this time around would have been a move to Core 2 Duo to keep Santa Rosa supplies targeted to the iMac and Mac Book Pro's (and later the Mac Books). A delay in those models will ease initial supply constraints and the new Graphics chip on the Santa Rosa platform would be a welcome boost to the Mini.

The Mac Pro's didn't get much fan fare with their move to the Quad Core processors. I wouldn't be suprised if they did a more major update to the line with the release of Leopard, or even as early as WWDC, though a MWSF would be just as likely a date.

Anyone else think we may be about to see a complete update in the MacPro desktops?
  • Reply 96 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

It's hardly quiet. iTunes has seen major improvements in the past couple of months, and pretty soon those DRM Free tracks will start showing up.

The iPhone is launching in around a month, the Apple TV just made it out of the gate, the Mac Pro got a CPU Bump, Final Cut Studio 2 was launched at NAB with the announcement of Final Cut Server this summer, oh and Macs with LED Displays are going to be launching sometime soon.

You just said it. With the exception of a CPU option for the Mac Pro, which could have been added months ago but apparently Apple opted to wait for the 3 GHz version, nothing happened for months in Mac hardware. All is about phone, tv and software.

Quote:

...plus it's been about 6 months since the last Mac to be updated was released: The Macbook Core 2 Duo.

That's the problem actually: we are near to 7 months with almost zero new Mac hardware.

Quote:

In that case, in about a Month Apple will be launching their newest Mac: iPhone.

I don't know if iPhone qualfies as a Mac. Even if it does, this is for next month.
  • Reply 97 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubit View Post

Anyone else think we may be about to see a complete update in the MacPro desktops?

I didn't say they were, just pointed out that the release of the 8 core was a pretty quiet one. For this reason, and depending on a lot of other factors such as cost and parts availability I would not be surprised if there were more models in the Mac Pro line that were updated to the newer processor when there is an event that can spotlight it. The next logical update for the Pro's would be MWSF or maybe a bit later depending on the new chip set's release and volume availability to Apple. They have been about a month or so behind Intel's release, so sometime in the first quarter of next year. However, another "minor" update to put the quad core chip in the top two tiers of the Mac Pro at WWDC or with the release of Leopard would not surprise me. This would allow Steve to talk about the Mac Pro's as a "new" model and help refresh the line.
  • Reply 98 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

This would even beat the PowerPC stagnation era.

No, I don't think it will take Apple that long to update any line.
  • Reply 99 of 112
    alix77alix77 Posts: 3member
    So if you are wanting to buy a new Apple product it is always best to wait, wait, wait for the lastest model...?
  • Reply 100 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alix77 View Post

So if you are wanting to buy a new Apple product it is always best to wait, wait, wait for the lastest model...?

Yeah, until the bones is what will remain from you. (not personally you, but you see what I mean)

Seriously, the thing is quite simple, for me at least: if I need something now and I have the money, I am buying no matter what. Rarely the updates today are so radical to justify waiting when you are on need. If I am buying on a different base, then there are other factors too to consider (hardware and software updates). And I think most people here that don't bring forth this question do the same.