Apple snags 10 percent of U.S. retail notebook sales in March

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Inc.'s line of MacBook and MacBook Pro notebooks combined for nearly 10 percent of all notebook sales at U.S.-based retail stores during the month of March, while sales of iMacs also helped the Mac maker rank amongst the top five desktop manufacturers for the first time this year, according to just-released data from NPD Group.

US retail notebook sales

For the month of March, Apple placed fourth on NPD's list of top selling retail notebook vendors with a 9.9 percent share, ahead of of Compaq's 8.5 percent share but behind Gateway's 13.0 percent share. Toshiba topped the list -- which omits manufacturers like Dell who only sell direct. -- by grabbing 26.2 percent of the market, followed by HP at 23.9 percent.

The 9.9 percent notebook share garnered by Apple is up from February, when it did not place in the top five, but down from January, when it registered a 10.1 percent share of U.S. retail notebook sales.

US retail desktop sales

Meanwhile, the Mac maker broke into NPD's list of top five U.S.-based retail desktop vendors for the first time this year, seizing a 7.7 percent unit share. The list, which does not include Dell, was topped by HP with an even 35 percent slice of the market. HP was followed by Compaq (16.7 percent), Gateway (16.6 percent), and Emachines (16.4 percent).

SanDisk chips away at iPod retail share

Over in the digital media player space, Apple in March saw continued erosion of its share of the retail segment at the hands of rival SanDisk. For the month, Apple held onto a 68.9 percent share, down from 72.3 percent in February and 72.7 percent in January. SanDisk appears to be the primary beneficiary of the iPod maker's lost share, with its slice of the retail media player market rising from 8.9 percent in January, to 9.7 percent in February, and 11.2 percent in March.

Rounding out the top five digital media player retail vendors for the month of March was Creative with a 3.6 percent share (up from 2.7 percent in February), Microsoft with a 2.5 percent share (no change), and Samsung with a 2.2 percent share (down from 2.5 percent in February).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    "Impressive... Most impressive" —Darth Vader
  • Reply 2 of 57
    Way to go Apple!!

I reckon they could hit $100B by the time the iPhone launches!

• Reply 3 of 57
    atlasatlas Posts: 90member
    Awesome.

I though Apple's goal was only 3% of the entire market? Either way, 10% is killer!
  • Reply 4 of 57
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Surprising about the iPod market share, but great news on the Macs.

Any idea what percentage of all PCs are sold retail?
  • Reply 5 of 57
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Surprising about the iPod market share, but great news on the Macs.

It's not too surprising to me. In large part, Apple is cooling its heels on the iPod for a bit, working on really getting the technology right and maximizing profits (more players sold doesn't always equate to more profits, obviously). Meanwhile, other players, such as the line from sandisk have been adding more and more functionality.

The functions they've added are for the most part quite lame, especially in their implementation of the concepts, but they look impressive to consumers on paper. Personally, I feel that the iPod is still the best player for the money, but that has a lot more to do with ease of use and ease of getting the content I want onto the player. iTunes is what makes the iPod truly great.
  • Reply 6 of 57
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Microsoft will be coming on strong "real Zune now."

Actually, it's no joking matter. Give them time and they might just create some viable competition. Their version 1.0 products are almost always a joke, but they just keep plugging away.
  • Reply 7 of 57
    ummm, this seems to only cover retail stores. Does not seem to cover the web stores.

Sounds great, but if you also cover all the web fronts the % is likely closer to 5%.
  • Reply 8 of 57
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    SanDisk has less than 10 percent of the MP3 market and still has almost four times Zune's piddly market share. HI-larious!
  • Reply 9 of 57
    corkurkcorkurk Posts: 90member
    This is completely anecdotal, but I feel like I'm seeing more and more Apple notebooks around. I was in my local Starbucks twice this week and only saw 1 non-Apple laptop in use. Each time there were 10-15 people sitting around surfing the web with their $4 lattes and either a MacBook or MBP. I didn't see any older models, only Intel, so make of that what you will. 2 or 3 years ago, I feel like I wasn't seeing nearly those numbers.

Again, totally unscientific, but it did catch my attention.
  • Reply 10 of 57
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    I am seriously happy to see more market share in the LAPTOP world. Perhaps more software companies will take note and start making OS X versions of the good stuff (Paint Shop Pro or Intuit's Quicken - a real version).

It will also be interesting to see the DAP market change after the iPHONE comes out. I think once this device hits the market, Apple will start to upgrade the iPOD family. The video iPOD is due for an overhaul... BIG TIME.

I was just looking the reciept from when I bought my 60GB Video iPOD back in October of 2005. Look at all of the devices that have come out since then.
  • Reply 11 of 57
    When considering the dip in iPod sales it is important to keep in mind that...

1) this is only retail sales (online sales are not included)

2) the 5th Generation iPod was introduced in October of 2005

We should see a major redesign to bring the 6th Generation iPod in line with iPhone around October.
  • Reply 12 of 57
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    what will happen, when base model of Mac Book goes DVD Burner and sheds 100 bucks, more % of share!!!

It looks like Apple laptops are liked by more switchers than iMacs, IMHO.
  • Reply 13 of 57
    maxmannmaxmann Posts: 85member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

SanDisk has less than 10 percent of the MP3 market and still has almost four times Zune's piddly market share. HI-larious!

the rule of thumb in the CE business is that if a format reaches a 12% market share it is a turning point at which the format will likely do two things: #1. it will surive the life of the format category (have shelf space at retail). #2. it will, if managed properly, begin to make a profit in the format category for both the vendor and the retail channel.
  • Reply 14 of 57
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corkurk View Post

This is completely anecdotal, but I feel like I'm seeing more and more Apple notebooks around. I was in my local Starbucks twice this week and only saw 1 non-Apple laptop in use. Each time there were 10-15 people sitting around surfing the web with their $4 lattes and either a MacBook or MBP. I didn't see any older models, only Intel, so make of that what you will. 2 or 3 years ago, I feel like I wasn't seeing nearly those numbers.

Again, totally unscientific, but it did catch my attention.

It's the demographic. I would argue that 1/5 university students would have macs for 2007-2008 and 1/4 the next year.

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 15 of 57
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

which omits manufacturers like Dell who only sell direct

Does this also exclude Apple Store's direct sales? Either way, this makes the results little more than a rah-rah liturgy for Apple fans.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

SanDisk chips away at iPod retail share

Of course they are. They are selling low cost digital players and undercut Apple's prices for a given capacity. This isn't news, it's common knowledge.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Atlas View Post

I though Apple's goal was only 3% of the entire market?

You're confusing OS marketshare to PC marketshare. This only measures a certain type of sale of a certain type of computer. Apple's OS marketshare and overall PC marketshare is well below 10%. Though I do have faith it will hit that in just a couple years. OS marketshare will increase faster if the iPhone and AppleTV can be included.

* I don't want to hear any BS that Macs aren't PCs. It's just a marketing tactic used by Apple to differentiate itself from the intitalism. BTW, Apple coined the term 'personal computer', from what I recall.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corkurk View Post

This is completely anecdotal, but I feel like I'm seeing more and more Apple notebooks around.

I'm seeing more. I know many people who have 2 or more notebooks. A windows based one for work and a personal Mac for recreational use.
  • Reply 16 of 57
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    I think the iPod share will go back up again after the new one released. I think it's just down now cause most people have the 4th or 5th generation, and most 4th-ers are probably waiting for the next one to come out.
  • Reply 17 of 57
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgkwho View Post

It's the demographic. I would argue that 1/5 university students would have macs for 2007-2008 and 1/4 the next year.

-=|Mgkwho

I've definetely noticed a lot of macs on campus. I'm only a freshman, but I know that macs are def becoming more popular, I see em everywhere, and the PC users all have jealously in their eyes My friend down the hall is thinking of ditching his old Dell 8300 desktop for a MBP, but he may get an HP cause he likes nice graphics cards.
  • Reply 18 of 57
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    If Microsoft can lose another 6 billions dollars with Zune, the way they did with XBox, they just might move up to third place in the market.
  • Reply 19 of 57
    aisiaisi Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Less than a quarter of all PCs sold in the U.S. About a third of all Macs sold in the U.S.

NPD Techworld figures, calendar Q3 2006:
    • U.S. PC shipments, Q3 2006: 16.333 million

• U.S. retail PC shipments, Q3 2006: 3.539 million (only 21.6% of U.S. PC shipments)

• Worldwide Mac shipments, Q3 2006: 1.610 million

• U.S. Mac shipments, Q3 2006: 975,000 units

• U.S. retail Mac shipments, Q3 2006: 333,000 units (only 34% of U.S. Mac shipments)

Apple had 11 percent of U.S. retail notebook sales (248,000 units) and 6.6 percent of U.S. retail desktop sales (85,000 units).

The number of Mac distribution points is increasing, Macs will continue to sell well in retail, not only in the U.S.

Apple F2Q07 Earnings Call Transcript: "In terms of overall Mac point of sales, we've been working on this worldwide and the Mac point of sales have moved from 5,800 to 8,000 on a year-over-year basis."
  • Reply 20 of 57
    oldmacguyoldmacguy Posts: 151member
    My three very low volume blog and web pages show that OSX accounts for no less than 11 percent of the viewers and (on my more popular site that shows the NY Times crossword solutions) -- 21 percent. I noticed this trend starting around the beginning of the year, and can olny attribute it to the fact that more people are now switching because the can now "do office work at home." The main excuse is gone and people ARE moving.